I'm planning to buy an S-12 in the next day or two. I need information, and quickly (they are going fast). I notice that there is the occasional conversion to pistol grip. One that I saw for sale says that "the trigger configuration was moved forward by a professional gunsmith." Is that trustworthy? Is it a big deal to do that operation? Is it possible to buy one from the factory with the pistol grip? I saw another one with a pistol grip kit. Are those any good? Is it better to get the trigger moved forward? Please advise. I would like to join your ranks. :ph34r:

I notice that there is the occasional conversion to pistol grip.

You'd be hard pressed to find one on this board that's not.

One that I saw for sale says that "the trigger configuration was moved forward by a professional gunsmith." Is that trustworthy? Is it a big deal to do that operation?

It depends on who did the work, but a friend and I did ours with a hand drill and a dremel, so if everything functions fine, its probably ok. Take the cover off, remove the spring and bolt and look on the inside of the receiver, make sure everything looks clean and not mangled. If they didnt fuck up the removal of the factory parts, I doubt they could really mess anything else up in the process. Make sure the conversion has less than 10 foreign parts so that it is 922® compliant.

Is it possible to buy one from the factory with the pistol grip?

No, that would make it a non-importable non-sporting firearm, because nobody would use a pistol grip shotgun for anything sporting.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Is it preferable to have the trigger moved forward or is the stock config fine? Obviously it's somewhat desirable because you moved yours forward. I read one review that said the trigger pull was awkward on the standard rifle.

It would be an online purchase so I won't be able to open it and look inside.

Any more thoughts?

well the gun is originally meant to have the trigger group foward, if you take off the bottom plate it'll show you the original configuration. plus the stock trigger pull feels junky, the aftermarket one feels much much better, and gives you 3 compliance parts when you swap out the trigger grouping. please look at 922r compliance section here and see why its there. welcome to the addiction ;)

The trigger is 100% better with it moved forward. The transfer bar they added to remove the pistol grip just makes it squishy with lots of travel. AK's aren't known for their great triggers, but if you move it forward and polish the hammer you can actually make a pretty decent trigger.

Also I much prefer the pistol grip as it makes the gun easier to control during rapid fire, makes it appear distinctive and makes it easier to hold during magazine changes. It also gives you more options in aftermarket buttstocks. The factory furniture on Saiga's is pretty horrendous IMHO.

I know I was scared to do the conversions for a long time, but once I did them I don't regret it for a second. Maybe if you want to hunt with your saiga there is a benefit to keeping it in factory config (less crazy looks from stuck-up over/under shooters), but thats not me....

Maybe if you want to hunt with your saiga there is a benefit to keeping it in factory config (less crazy looks from stuck-up over/under shooters), but thats not me....

I live in AK. There would be no crazy looks--just jealous ones.

Sounds like trigger conversion is the way to go. What's the typical going rate for a gunsmith to do the trigger conversion? Maybe it would be worth buying one stock and then getting it modified?

Thanks again.

Maybe somebody else can help you with that question, I did my own conversion. Several of the business members on this website specialize in conversions, you might ask one of them.

Honestly, its worth it to do the conversion yourself to learn the details of how your gun operates. The only really hard part was removing the trigger plate, but that just takes patience. It involves drilling out 4 rivets, 1 tack weld, making 1 hacksaw cut that you really can't screw up and cutting one hole for the pistol grip nut. Its literally a 2-6 hour project with a hand drill and a dremel. Safe functioning isnt that much of an issue because all the holes for the forward trigger group are already there, so you can't screw up and accidentally under-engage the hammer unless you start polishing and cutting your trigger parts (which is not required for the conversion).

I live in AK. There would be no crazy looks--just jealous ones.

Sounds like trigger conversion is the way to go. What's the typical going rate for a gunsmith to do the trigger conversion? Maybe it would be worth buying one stock and then getting it modified?

Thanks again.

There are many to chose from.

Off the top of my head, I'd say Cadiz in Ohio, or Tromix in Oklahoma, but he isn't taking new orders.

There's Red Jacket in Louisiana, who is taking orders, but there is about a 4 month wait.

I'd also check with Rifle Dynamics and Viking Kitty.

Edited by Will
You happen to have two of the best in surrounding states.

Tromix in Oklahoma, but he isn't taking new orders.

And Red Jacket in Louisiana, who is but there is about a 4 month wait.

Ummm.......AK is Alaska, not Arkansas. :rolleyes:

You happen to have two of the best in surrounding states.

Tromix in Oklahoma, but he isn't taking new orders.

And Red Jacket in Louisiana, who is but there is about a 4 month wait.

Ummm.......AK is Alaska, not Arkansas. :rolleyes:

Now you've gone and done it. I saw that but didn't want to break the news to him! :lolol: