Beauty or the beast?

It's the old question, form over function etc. I made up a "tank" brake I modeled after the Barrett because I like the look, but I understand it will have little effect other than weight as far as recoil and muzzle rise. Or mount the "boring" Poly choke? Interestingly, mine is NOT plastic?!?!?

Kidding!!

So what would be your choice?

post-9086-1227030706_thumb.jpg

post-9086-1227030720_thumb.jpg

Wow, that looks a lot like our KA-0450 brake :unsure: You'll need bigger ports, shotguns have a large bore, low velocity, and little propellant (compared to projectile weight) so achieving recoil reduction has to be approached slightly differently than you would on a rifle.

KA-72608037.jpg

You copied my copy of Barrett's copy of a WWII design!

KA- I realize it has little recoil reduction, it just looks cool. My ports are tapered 3 degrees, and raked 45 degrees back from the muzzle, I can't tell if yours are also? It is 4140 so I will harden it after I finish it. There was far too much work to sell, other than as a prototype if I don't use it.

KA- I realize it has little recoil reduction, it just looks cool. My ports are tapered 3 degrees, and raked 45 degrees back from the muzzle, I can't tell if yours are also? It is 4140 so I will harden it after I finish it. There was far too much work to sell, other than as a prototype if I don't use it.

We run a 30 degree rake and a gas trap, it improves the efficiency and directs less blast towards the operator. Make sure you soak that part for awhile (probably an hour) when hardening it, there's a lot of metal there and you want it to temper evenly. We build our KA-0450's out of 4340 which is a PITA to machine, I understand your pain. If you look at the price for 'em you can understand the customer's pain as well :cryss:

If you want them threaded, let me know. We have an M22x0.75 bottoming tap here that we use for Saiga prototype parts and I can have our machinist thread it for ya. I might even have some spare lockrings for the KA-1212 that you can use to index your brake.

We run a 30 degree rake and a gas trap, it improves the efficiency and directs less blast towards the operator. Make sure you soak that part for awhile (probably an hour) when hardening it, there's a lot of metal there and you want it to temper evenly. We build our KA-0450's out of 4340 which is a PITA to machine, I understand your pain. If you look at the price for 'em you can understand the customer's pain as well :cryss:

If you want them threaded, let me know. We have an M22x0.75 bottoming tap here that we use for Saiga prototype parts and I can have our machinist thread it for ya. I might even have some spare lockrings for the KA-1212 that you can use to index your brake.

Thanks for your tips and for offering your services! I will most likely weld, as it will be at the minimum OAL, and will need to be permanently affixed. I can't stand barrels over about 16" any way, so I'll have to live with 18", as SBS are not allowed in Ca (that are not a C&R)...

It would be great if someone could design a muzzle break that screws on to the Saiga 12 threaded muzzle with a break that had forward threads that can accommodate the Poly-Choke. You would have a muzzle brake and a choke together.

Barrel Threads + Screw on Muzzle Brake + Screw on Poly-Choke = Recoil/Muzzle Flip Suppression and Ability to Select Pattern Size

Still waiting for this item.

It's the old question, form over function etc. I made up a "tank" brake I modeled after the Barrett because I like the look, but I understand it will have little effect other than weight as far as recoil and muzzle rise. Or mount the "boring" Poly choke? Interestingly, mine is NOT plastic?!?!?

Kidding!!

So what would be your choice?

I like the look of the tank brake, I have a M82A1 CQ (short barrel). How much does it weigh and do you plan to enlarge the ports for reduced recoil? You should try and sell them. I would buy a few.

It would be great if someone could design a muzzle break that screws on to the Saiga 12 threaded muzzle with a break that had forward threads that can accommodate the Poly-Choke. You would have a muzzle brake and a choke together.

Barrel Threads + Screw on Muzzle Brake + Screw on Poly-Choke = Recoil/Muzzle Flip Suppression and Ability to Select Pattern Size

I think it would be 6" long and goofy looking.

Sort of like this but with a comp built in with instead of porting.

post-6002-1226777306_thumb.jpg

That would be pretty cool. I'll take useful function over style

any day of the week. Style will not save your ass in a real

shtf situation. Russian guns are built on that concept.

The key is function with great form. I don't care if it looks cool if it doesn't work. Sorta like the cars with fake convertible tops, whats the freaking point!?

Your work looks good, how about designing a polychoke feature into a brake? I use a polychoke because it works, if I could get one that looks cool to, then thats ideal!

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, my saiga has a world's ugliest comp welded on a stock medium choke. Because of the way shotgun things work, comps/ports have to be HUGE to be effective. That's the reason mine has only on chamber, as two-chamber brake would have been simply too big. It's maybe ugly, but it works!

1404061imgeu0.jpg

w1280.png

yeah, it's only the first version, gonna finish it up and paint etc.

Heh, my saiga has a world's ugliest comp welded on a stock medium choke. Because of the way shotgun things work, comps/ports have to be HUGE to be effective. That's the reason mine has only on chamber, as two-chamber brake would have been simply too big. It's maybe ugly, but it works!

1404061imgeu0.jpg

w1280.png

DAMN that's very nice looking! (I mean the rest of the gun) The brake is fugly but if it works ...hey!

:super:

DAMN that's very nice looking! (I mean the rest of the gun) The brake is fugly but if it works ...hey!

:super:

Yeah, try to make a quess what happened when I shoved for our club competition with that one :D. Still needs a lot of work, and a friend of mine who knows lot about the way the expanding gases flow has given some ideas about making it better and lighter. Now where did I put my angle grinder and stick welder again...