You can just replace it. That's perfectly legal, and it counts as a compliance part. There's really nothing you can do when replacing the factory front handguard that would make it illegal, unless you change from a US-made to a foreign-made handguard that puts it out of 922® compliance. All the laws are concerned about back-end stuff or overall parts counts.

Edited by Mike the Wolf
  • 1 year later...

ok so now i'm confused - and maybe i'm making this more difficult than it really is. i thought as long as the firearm was in a configuration that it is imported in, 922r doesn't come into play, but as soon as you move away from that it comes into play, be it us made parts or foreign made. for example, using a us made handguard would take you out of compliance as it is now non-imported configuration, and have more than 10 foreign made parts. i thought as soon as you added 1 US made part, you had to add at least 4. ideally i am wrong, because i just changed out the handguard on my 7.62, added a lower handguard retainer and got a vented gas tube, and then added a US made ak47 style quad rail to it, but i have not yet converted over the FCG, so i was waiting to get that done before taking it to the range again. if i knew i didn't have to worry about 922r yet, i'd take my time getting the FCG conversion done and removing the muzzle shroud (i see a threaded barrel underneath!).

thanks for enlightening this newbie!