As I understand it, the stock Saiga magazine has a lip that negates the need for a bullet guide. If you plan to use regular AK magazines, however, the bullet guide will allow the round to feed properly (as normal AK magazine don't have the lip like the Saiga magazines).

This is correct. The "lip" on a factory Saiga rifle mag acts as a bullet guide.

If you plan on using standard AR mags for the 7.62x39, you will have to use the bullet guide. If you're converting any other Saiga, you won't need it...

God Bless,

Doc S

So if I am using Saiga mags I don't need it. What about ProMag and Surefire for the Saiga? or are we just talking about people using AK mags and AR adaptors?

• 3 months later...

Anything that is a "Saiga" style mag has the lip. He meant standard AK mags, which do not have that lip and often need the bullet guide to feed properly. You can use plain old milsurp AK mags if you have a bullet guide installed, rather than more expensive Saiga mags.

Some will feed correctly without a bullet guide, because some mags have a better lip than others. But most require it. However, it's generally cheaper to use US-made Saiga mags and foreign furniture because US manufacturers tend to rape you on stock sets. It'd take a lot of mags to offset the cost.