Is it a Saiga?

Hi Group,

Possibly a stupid question here. :D Does anyone know if the Izhmash AK-47 7.62x39 with the milled reciever advertised by Southern Ohio Gun (SOG) in the current Shotgun News is a Saiga or not? (I thought all Saiga 7.62's (technically) had sheet metal recievers on them?). Thanks for any clarification that anyone can give me concerning this!

And BTW - does anyone think that it might be a better buy (value wise?) than a comparable Arsenal SA M-7?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Yakuza,

Already got some info for you! :D According to others I have talked to over at the AK forum, it is in fact a Saiga, and it really has a stamped receiver on it (SOG mislabled it as milled in their advertisement). Even though they say it's an okay "plinker" gun, people who have ordered it say it's not worth the $400+ SOG is asking for it (very roughly finished inside). I'm going for the Arsenal SA M-7 myself (that is, when the township police finally get off their a$$es and get my new license in :angry: ). Hope that helps you out in deciding! :)

Thanks Gaddis. They don't look like that great a deal then. I think I'll just do a home conversion. I love my Saiga, but I want a Bulgarian as well. Yeah, they are converted to pistol grip, high cap., and come with a muzzle break, skx762. But I think it'll cost me less than $100 to convert mine, so I'll probably go for it. Just have to do some homework first.

• 1 month later...

Do not know how much of "printing error" the advertisement is for the Izhmash AK47 really is. Southern Ohio Guns (SOG) is still running the same ad stating the receiver is milled. Anyone purchasing that unit is simply getting a slightly modified 160 dollar Saiga for 240 dollars more.

If you are going for a conventional style AK type rifle, put some money away in your piggy bank until you can purchase a Arsenal SAM 7 or SAM 7S. All you have to do is pick one up and you can feel the quality come thru. Spend a day out in the field with it and you will know you did not waste your hard earned capital.

SOG SAIGA RIFLE

Well, I do know how much of a typo it is! I bought one! The rifle does NOT have a milled receiver, the receiver is stamped. The rifle is basically a partially converted Saiga rifle of ok quality but not worth $399. I almost sent it back but a buddy with an FFL purchased it for me. It has a cheap replacement buttstock and they used some cheap plastic rivets in four of the receiver holes. The muzzle brake is welded on but it is not very nice. It has a cheap pistol grip also. As I said over all, it's ok but nothing to write home about. If I was going to do it again and I have (I have since bought 2 other Saigas), I would just buy a standard Saiga and start with that. My SOG Saiga is being used as a hunting rifle. I have equipped it with a PSO4X24V-1 Russian scope. It also has a K-VAR 1.25" longer US made buttstock. I plan to send the rifle away to have the receiver holes welded up, A new Red Star Arms FCG added, a new Bulgarian muzzle brake and have it refinished. I'll probably add a new pistol grip too.

I already have $442.02 in it plus, the buttstock $39.95, Russian sling $24.95 and Scope $99.95. So, I really hate to spend anymore on it but it is sort of unfinished. The Saiga forearm will be retained (it's nicer for hunting) and I'm working out a front sling mount for it. My older Norinco rifles used leather sling tabs to hold the sling on. I've already broke one, almost dropping the rifle out of my tree hunting shack. A heavy-duty tab is in the finally stages.

This rifle is servicable for what it is and as I said, I use it has a hunting rifle. It is accurate enough (2" groups at 100 yards) for the hunting that I do and the 4X scope is perfect for the 100M up to 200M shots I get.

swon

post-5-1071757631.jpg

In the way of modified Saigas go, I've run into a handful of mods. I haven't modified my Saiga at all but then I'm fine with it. If I wanted an actual AK styled weapon, I'd go buy one. Speaking of buying one, the modified Saigas I've seen are mostly crap. I don't know much about SOG but I do know that there's only one company that produces a good modified Saiga... selling it as an americanized AK-103. The only problem with this is the cost... upwards of $500 and more. I think I'd rather go find myself a Romanian SAR 7.62 for about $350 and be able to play with it a bit. If you do want a modified Saiga, Kreb's Custom Guns is the best way to go when it comes to quality. While the gun still has it's original stamped reciever, the gunsmithing is exceptional and they only use very high quality parts in the modifications. I've been able to see, feel, dry fire... etc. one of these. The trigger assembly is switched out with one that has a smoother and shorter pull. The stock and pistol grip are of high quality though I know not what brand they are. Mark Kreb (of Kreb's Custom Guns) doesn't use any rivots that I know of. He actually uses real pins and his weld jobs are excellently done, sanded down smooth. The fit, feel and finish of his guns are exceptional... but as I said before, his prices are quite high (for a gun with a stamped reciever). Truthfully, that's the only reason I don't have one. If you want to check out some of his work, here's the website. Kreb's custom

You'll never touch a Krebs rifle for $500 and believe me it's way more. If they'll even return your calls and E-mails. Apparently they don't need the business. They're asking about $900 for an AK-103. My Saigas are being rebuilt by InRange. Troy's prices are considerably lees than Krebs. He is charging me $225 for the same work that Krebs wanted $1100 for.

Speaking of crap! Every Romanian rifle I have seen was crap. It just depends on what you like I guess.

swon

You'll never touch a Krebs rifle for $500 and believe me it's way more. If they'll even return your calls and E-mails. Apparently they don't need the business. They're asking about $900 for an AK-103. My Saigas are being rebuilt by InRange. Troy's prices are considerably lees than Krebs. He is charging me $225 for the same work that Krebs wanted $1100 for.

Speaking of crap! Every Romanian rifle I have seen was crap. It just depends on what you like I guess.

swon

I found a Kreb's AK-103 at a gun show for $600. As for Romanians being crap, I agree but I'd rather pay $350 for crap than $400-500 for modified crap.

If you found a Krebs rifle for $600 you should have purchased it. Most of their stuff sells for closer to $1000. I don't like throwing money away either but 50 bucks is chump change. At least the Saigas are Russian and are built in the same factory that originally built the AK47!

swon

Quite true but hey, hindsight is 20/20. I ran into it at a local gun show about a week after I had purchased my Saiga 7.62. Anyway, I didn't pick it up because of a few of reasons...

1. I didn't know what it was at the time.

2. I'm a resident alien. In order for me to purchase a firearm, I need on hand copies of my green card and proof of at least 90 days residency as well as the normal forms of ID (state or fed issued picture ID and optional Social) for purchase of a firearm from an FFL dealer. I didn't have anything on me except for my driver's license. Kinda makes it hard to purchase the firearm without proper papers.

3. I'd just dropped $240 on 3 cases of Wolf 7.62x39 ammo and another $250 on 2 cases of Wolf 7.62x54r. I just plain didn't have the budget to drop $200 on another gun, much less $500.

Well, in any case, that's in the past and it's an opportunity I'm sure someone else took advantage of. BTW, that Kreb's was a used gun. I normally also don't like buying used guns unless they're C&R or antiques (or I know the previous owner of the gun personally).