S12 Newbie, question about ammo and mags

Just bought a Saiga-12 today. Can't wait to shoot it. I'm going to order some 10 rounders for it tonight.

Question: what ammo restrictions does this shotgun have? A gunsmith told me it won't shoot certain types of light loads, is that correct? Or does this shotgun shoot anything? It's my only shotgun. Are there 8 round mags too?

Can I legally use the 10 rounders without converting? I don't have the $ to convert right now.

Tell me what ammo and mags I should stay away from if any. Obviously, it will be a self defense gun only, but I want to take a shotgun tactical class next year with it.

Should I get the clear AGP mags or the black ones?

Thanks,

Edited by Bob45acp
Just bought a Saiga-12 today. Can't wait to shoot it. I'm going to order some 10 rounders for it tonight.

Question: what ammo restrictions does this shotgun have? A gunsmith told me it won't shoot certain types of light loads, is that correct? Or does this shotgun shoot anything? It's my only shotgun. Are there 8 round mags too?

Can I legally use the 10 rounders without converting? I don't have the $ to convert right now.

Tell me what ammo and mags I should stay away from if any. Obviously, it will be a self defense gun only, but I want to take a shotgun tactical class next year with it.

Should I get the clear AGP mags or the black ones?

Thanks,

I've asked this question recently and the only thing I've heard back consistently is that the Winchester "Universal" loads from Wal-Mart will give problems. Other's have cited reduced recoil rounds, while other say they have no problem with them. Just stay clear of the one from Wal-Mart and apparently you'll be fine. I'll find out for myself as soon as my gun comes back from my gunsmith.

When I first got my 12 I bought a big variety of stuff in 5 packs and tried it all out. The reduced recoil stuff did give some problems some of the time. The Walmart birdshot 100 pack works 98% of the time on gas setting 2. Some Federal birdshot I tried on setting 2 would stovepipe on me almost always so that goes in the trap shooting drawer. Love the Walmart Super X slug value pack and the buckshot value pack too!

Using the 10 round AGP mags is a direct violation of 922r. You can get a Izhmash 8 round mag if you can find one...seen one in the for sale section for a steal at $150!!!! :cryss:

The clear AGP vs. the black AGP seems to be not much of a either or fight, most like both, some are scared of clear plastic from previous bad experiences. I only have the black ones personally so I can't say much about the clear but I've heard they're durable. I remember reading something about Mike D's (MD Arms) 20 round drum clear back cover being just as good as his black cover, something about modern plastics...not sure though.

For home defense I keep mine nearby with a AGP 10 rounder full of that Walmart value Super X 2 3/4" buckshot in it with the bolt held open so all I got to do is charge it and it's ready to rock. Hopefully the perp will hear that sound and the only cleaning up I'll have to do is a puddle of piss (actually I'd probably make him do it at gunpoint). I keep the bolt held open so the top buckshot round doesn't deform.

When I first got my 12 I bought a big variety of stuff in 5 packs and tried it all out. The reduced recoil stuff did give some problems some of the time. The Walmart birdshot 100 pack works 98% of the time on gas setting 2. Some Federal birdshot I tried on setting 2 would stovepipe on me almost always so that goes in the trap shooting drawer. Love the Walmart Super X slug value pack and the buckshot value pack too!

Using the 10 round AGP mags is a direct violation of 922r. You can get a Izhmash 8 round mag if you can find one...seen one in the for sale section for a steal at $150!!!! :cryss:

The clear AGP vs. the black AGP seems to be not much of a either or fight, most like both, some are scared of clear plastic from previous bad experiences. I only have the black ones personally so I can't say much about the clear but I've heard they're durable. I remember reading something about Mike D's (MD Arms) 20 round drum clear back cover being just as good as his black cover, something about modern plastics...not sure though.

For home defense I keep mine nearby with a AGP 10 rounder full of that Walmart value Super X 2 3/4" buckshot in it with the bolt held open so all I got to do is charge it and it's ready to rock. Hopefully the perp will hear that sound and the only cleaning up I'll have to do is a puddle of piss (actually I'd probably make him do it at gunpoint). I keep the bolt held open so the top buckshot round doesn't deform.

Are there any parts I can change on the shotgun (without doing the conversion) to allow me to legally use the 10 round mags?

There's ways to make your 12 922r compliant that don't involve any cutting or grinding, then you can use the 10 round mags. Read up on the 922r in the forum: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showforum=65

You're still going to have to spend money on parts. Which to me is the hardest part of doing the conversion...the grinding and cutting is about as easy as baking a spaghetti.

There's ways to make your 12 922r compliant that don't involve any cutting or grinding, then you can use the 10 round mags. Read up on the 922r in the forum: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showforum=65

You're still going to have to spend money on parts. Which to me is the hardest part of doing the conversion...the grinding and cutting is about as easy as baking a spaghetti.

tell me, how easy(and why) it is to bake a spaghetti.

Thanks 1911, that pretty much sums it up :rolleyes: . Honestly though, I was intimidated before I went through with my 7.62 conversion, then once I dove in, the water was warm and the girls were skinny dipping. Now I'm looking around for more excuses to use my dremel. Next project is modding an SKS-M receiver/stock to take the 75 round drum, just waiting on the UPS man.