Ladies Concealed Carry Handgun?

Hi, I am a left-handed shooter, looking for a really good concealed pistol to carry/buy. My husband and I have finished up our CPL class. We are very pleased to find a "Suarez-friendly" instructor, Dave Dieball, in Howell, MI. He also teaches "killology" and "get off the X" ideals. He has a few different types of pistols for me to shoot before I decide what to purchase.

I have shot my husbands G-19, but the grip feels a little to fat for my hands. Also shot an XD 9MM sub-compact that seemed to feel a lot better in my hands. Also shot a sub-compact Glock (40 cal.) and that seemed to fit ok, too. Then I heard about the Ruger SR9 from another girl and she loves hers, the minute she held it, she knew that she was going to buy it. I have not had the opportunity to shoot hers.....yet. But I will.

The G19 is not that bad, it just does not fit like a glove and the slide release is real hard/stiff, I don't know if that is because it is a brand new gun and it's stiff or if that is the way the gun is. Instead of the slide release I have been using "jack-n-rack" But it is slower than just 'releasing' the slide, I have to bring my hand back around to the grip. The other thing is: when it is time to reload---the mag release is real hard/stiff as well and I have to use my other hand to release it so that slows me down as well.

I believe that all of these things are workable with the G19 and maybe just needs some practice on my end......but to find a gun that fits like a glove and is easier to release but is still a good fighting gun, reliable and etc....would be ideal

I am new to handguns (we always shoot rifles and shotguns) and I was just looking for any info that anyone is willing to share.

Also, what have any of you ladies found to be the best fit (for you) to carry the concealed pistol....appendix, cross-draw, hip, pocket, purse etc.

Thanks for any and all info.

God Bless and good evening to you all.

Hello, Mrs. "Naut

First of all, congrat's on the concealed licenses! I'm a very big proponent of men taking their wives/S.O's with them when taking the course, because obviously, women are often viewed as targets, and also, many women would not take the course "solo".

I've been through a couple of year saga with Kathy, my wife, trying to find that perfect CHL firearm.

Here's what she's gotten and her gripes:

Taurus Titaniun frame .38 Special Ultralight revolver w/LaserGrips

-I really like this little gun, talk about a featherweight! Kathy didn't really have the strength to cock the semi-concealed hammer (kind of a serrated flat section that was designed to not hang-up in your pocket or purse on draw...) and the trigger kind of sucked on double-action so it's been relegated to a "house gun".

Glock 36

-Once again, I like it! It's a single-stack .45 ACP (6+1) with a very narrow and comfortable grip for a Glock. Kathy just wasn't keen on shooting the .45, though......She did like the way the gun felt in het hand, however, and it was pretty concealable, but nothing like the little Taurus Ti snubnose above. So, another house gun.......

Springfield XD9 4" Fullsize (Hi-cap)

-Kathy's favorite gun to shoot. Unfortunately, kinda bulky for concealment. Really comfortable and accurate, with monster firepower. Kathy's range favorite, and her "nightstand" gun.

KelTec P3AT .380

-Great little concealed carry pistol, not the greatest hard-hitting caliber or the most firepower, (6+1) but very uber-concealable.

As the old mantra goes, "a .380 in the hand is better than a .45 in the safe.."

Kathy doesn't mind shooting it, but the slide is kinda hard to rack for her, and she doesn't like the idea of packing it "hot" even though it has an intentionally stiff trigger pull, due to the grandkids. It has no external safety. She carries it, but with no round in the chamber.

CZ RAMI 9mm

-Probably the best compromise to date. The RAMI is a very small, concealable pistol that I believe is ambi-control (have to double-check that)

that fits Kathy's smallish hands very well. She enjoys shooting it and can manipulate the slide easily. Quite accurate and appears very well made. Obviously, the 9mm round is superior to the .380, although the firearm is noticeably "fatter" as well.

I would give it serious consideration in your search for a "keeper".

Ruger LCP .380

-Can't say much about these yet. Got a couple recently, one is for Kathy's birthday this Friday. It's almost a dead ringer for the KelTec P3AT, except it's got an external "safety" latch to lock the slide back. It's also a bit easier to rack the slide back (for me, anyway) so hopefully, Kathy will be able to manipulate it herself. I think it's maybe finished a little nicer, so it may be a bit more comfortable to shoot, but neither one of these .380's is really designed for a day at the range, more like "there for when you need 'em."

I reckon the best thing is for her to have one in her vehicle, and one in her purse. It would suck for her to just have one in her vehicle (like now...) and walk up on someone who has just broken-in to her vehicle. Not many options there......

Hope this helps......

guido2 in Houston

I personally carry a fullsize 1911 everywhere I legally can. I didn't know how I was going to be able to conceal such a big gun on my 6'2" 155lb scrawney frame... but it's do-able. My wife handles the gun rather easily, and she's not a big girl.. (well right now being 7mos. pregnant changes that a lil' bit;) You MIGHT want to consider a compact or micro 1911, there's ENDLESS holster possibilities for them too. If you want to sometime at one of the next shoots I'll bring it to the pit and you can give it a whirl.

Thanks guys for the responses and GREAT advice. I appreciate it so much. :lolol:

Paul...Thanks for the full-blown comparisons....too cool!! That is my kind of review!! No wonder my husband thinks so highly of you! :super:

I would like to stay with a 9MM so we are shooting the same ammo for the handguns. We have so many different types of rifles and shoties, with all sorts of ammo for those, it would be nice to stream-line the handgun ammo.

Once again THANKS and I appreciate any and ALL input. I will make a decision soon, I would like to shoot a few different ones and see what works well for me and then after that........it will be financial. Especially with Christmas and year-end bills... :devil: But we will get through!!

I will keep checking in. Take care and God Bless.

Mrs J

You can't go wrong with Glock. I love my G-17 and Racegal seems to like it ok too...even with her tiny hands. The 19 is just a slightly smaller version of that in the same caliber. Mine has the Hogue slip on rubber grip that makes it feel WAY better in the hand. Maybe that would make it more 'glove like' for you. They real inexpensive to try at least.

Have you tried the G-26? It's known as the "Baby Nine" and is much smaller, but shoots great.

You might want to check out the S&W 3913 if you want to saty fith a 9mm. It is a fine, reliable, concealable little weapon. They are no longer made but can be found as in http://www.gunsamerica.com/980204142/Guns-...3_Ladysmith.htm . THey came in a number of flavors and the Lady Smith was one of the more popular. They can be had from about $425 to $600 depending on your preferences. Good luck in your search.

Congratulations! May I suggest the Walther P99 or P99 compact? Great guns. I started with Glocks (19 and 23) but they were a little too big for my hands. I tried the Walther P99 compact with the small backstrap and the fit is first rate. The Walther is more accurate and in my experience, even more reliable than the Glocks. I have two of them in 40 S&W and one in 9mm.

There are several different triggers, trust me, you want the AS or Antistress trigger. When you first cock it there is a very long and very light pull to fire. If that isn't what you want (And it isn't when you're going to carry it), you can decock the gun with one in the trigger which is a very nice double action (especially after about 500 rounds when it starts to break in).

Generally I think of it as a Glock done right. Mags are somewhat pricey but Smith and Wesson puts out a version and they are cheap. Smith and Wesson also offers the same thing, forget what they call it, but it's obvious like S&W99. The S&W are a little cheaper but generally the Walther's are reviewed as having better fit and finish.

i went through this with my GF, we're still deciding what to get but i have seem the MP series from SW to have ambi slide release and what looks like changeable mag release, also some HK's are full ambi, and there is a lefty snub revolver from charter arms. i've come to find a lot of lefty people just learn to shoot right handed guns to make things easier, but if your stubborn like my girl, then you have a long search ahead of you, also walther PPS is nice and slim and compact.

Edited by Vultite

Walther PPK is a pretty good CC gun. It has a slender grip, and a safety that, in my opinion, is extremely accessible and ergonomic. Also, the hammer is nice to have. The only draw back is that it's a .380, which will definitely do some damage, just might not be the knock down power that some people prefer.

If you want 9mm, let me throw out the Sig P239. Nice gun, decent trigger and shoots where you point it. Single stack, was a little small for my hands so I added the Hogue finger groove wrap-arounds. Fits like a glove now. I have big hands though. My wife can handle it even with the Hogues on, though I suspect she would be better off fit-wise with the factory grips.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you haven't decided on a CC gun, I suggesst shooting some rentals at the local range.

My wife loves her Bersa 380. It's easy to shoot and very accurate. If you can shoot well, there's not much of a drawback; a 380 with the right load is definitely a man killer! My wife with very little practice has been able to dbl tap center mass with a head follow up. This will definitely bring a BG to a DEAD STOP!

The important thing is the way you FEEL with your gun.

If you like your gun you will practice; PRACTICE make you a better and increases you confidence. With increased confidence you will carry yourself better- the way one carries themselves sends a message to the BG's; DON'T Mess with me!

I also suggest follow up advance classes. These classes will help you with awareness through situational drills and RL scenarios. Again a very GOOD way to build confidence while icreasing KNOWLEDGE.

First off, a big congrats to you both!

Lots of great suggestions, advice, and info above, so I'll just add a vote for the HK P7 line. Thin, reliable, ultra safe to carry with one in the tube and easy to carry concealed IWB. Also fast to get into action. Expensive, yes. But you did say a "good" carry gun.

Best of luck, and whatever you do. CARRY!

I would urge you to reconsider the Glock. There are few pistols as proven in todays market under combat conditions.

I have instructed many female officers that have been able to use it successfully. The Glock method of releasing the slide is to pull back on it, not to use the slide release. That is the method taught to instructors by the Glock factory.

To drop the mag try holding your thumb stiffly against the mag release, then taking your left hand and pulling the far end of the slide to the left to press the gun against your thumb. This method works well for people with limited hand strength.

To rack the slide pull with the slide back with the left hand while simultaneously pushing forward on the grip with the right. Again, this works well for people with limited hand strength.

HTH!

I have seen lots of ladies in my classes and there are a few things I here repeatedly:

"the grip is too big" = usually a complaint toward the Glock by ladies with little hands

"the trigger guard rubs my middle knuckle and it hurts after a while" = Glock complaint for ladies with fat fingers

"it kicks too hard" = Usually a complaint toward a sub compact .40

"it pokes my side while in the holster" = XDs have a tall profile and do this sometimes, also Peirce extensions on G26 and G27 are known for this. Also poor holster choice.

"the slide is too hard to rack" = See this alot with hammer fired pistols. 1st generation XDs are also hard to rack.

"the trigger is too hard to pull" = See this with revolvers and some double actions.

"How come I can not keep up with other students in training classes" = She needs capacity / less reloading.

"I don't like the different trigger pulls for first and second shot" = Common complaint with hammer double action pistols like Sigs.

The most successful and reliable pistols I have seen ladies train with are;

GLock 19s = Perfect weight, balance, capacity, and light recoil. No safeties, de-cockers, or controls to manipulate in the heat of the moment. Ergonomics vary from person to person, its either great or you hate it. Very easy to clean and care for. Proven reliability. Bare-bones simple gun like the AK.

XD9 4" = Good weight and capacity. Recoil is slightly heavier due to higher bore axis. No safeties, decockers, or controls to manipulate. Need a good grip to engage the grip safety, I have seen several ladies unable to take a shot off of the draw due to this. My wife has done it a couple of times off the draw as well, but corrected the problem through practice. XDs have excellent ergonomics and a nice small grip. Very easy to clean. Proven reliability.

S&W M&P9 =Good weight, capacity, balance, and light recoil due to the low bore axis (like the Glock). The grip backstrap is removable and you can use 3 different sizes, making the grip feel "customized" to your hand. This gun also has slide releases on the left and right side to accommodate ambidextrous shooting. The magazine release can also be switched to accommodate left hand shooters. This gun is more ascetically pleasing than the others. The one thing I do not like about this gun is the magazine disconnect safety - if you remove the magazine, the gun will not fire the round in the chamber. This gun is slightly more accurate than the Glock or XD. Reliability over the long-run is not yet proven. Most ladies that fire this gun, like it over the others.

+1 S&W M&P is superior to glocks (blocks). my biggest beef is the barrel. smith has supported barrels and were made to shoot +P ammo where glocks don't have the support and your lucky if you come out of that explosion unscathed. My girl is a lefty, she has a M&P 9C and i switched the mag release to the other side. only took me a couple of minutes to do it. The reliability of it is just as good if not better then the XD's or glocks, there's a whole forum on it and the guys who tested it.

many departments and agencies are now switching to these guns...

Edited by Vultite

A few observations and warnings.

Most importantly...Try before you buy.

I see a few people advising the S&W M&Ps, but in my opinion they have the worst trigger of any semiauto I've tried. I've shot many and dry-fired many more trying to understand what it is people see in them. I cant' figure it out, every one of them has a really bad trigger. You may like it, but try it first.

Glocks have a decent light (5.5lb) trigger but it's not a crisp single action and they are blocky and don't conceal all that well, but in my experience they are the most reliable firearms I've ever used.

Bersa...well, the worst firearm I've ever owned was a Bersa .380. New out of the box it failed to fire 25% of the time regardless of ammunition brand. After returning it to a factory repair center and waiting two weeks I got back a broken pistol with a defective magazine release. The mag. fell out of the pistol as I was lifting it out of the box it was returned in. Avoid Bersa like the plague, they are garbage and the warranty service is useless.

1911s are great, but they're heavy. The smaller ones for concealed carry are unfortunately notorious for reliability issues (some unjustly, but it is a common complaint with the smaller 1911s). I love my Colt 1911, but it's too large and heavy for CC in most situations. If we were talking HD I'd say 1911, they point more naturally than anything else I own, but John Moses Brownings 3 pounds of steel perfection might be a bit much for a lady's CC firearm. It's a big big for my 6' 185lb frame, anyway.

Sigs are nice, but extremely expensive and you don't get much for that extra money, a Glock is just as reliable, only 2/3s the cost and has a better consistant trigger. I have tried to like Sigs, but I don't see the point in spending that much without any additional benefit. I sold mine because I just never liked it and never shot it.

I've shot (but never owned) a few Walthers. All the ones I've shot were WWII vintage and all were very reliable and easy to shoot. A new one might be a good bet. Try one and see.

Personally I carry two Glocks (a G36 and a G26) or occasionally my Colt 1911 in the winter. But even though the Glocks are "sub compacts" they are too large for my wife to carry easily. That is why we bought the Bersa, but it was such of piece of crap that I wouldn't hear of her carrying it, she's too important to me. So we are looking for something smaller than the G26 she currently uses, as long as it is 100% reliable.

Edited by Stever

Thanks guys for all of your input!!! Drew said that no matter what I get if I didn't like it he would take it LOL!!!!

I am just undecided between the: S&W M&P, the XD Compact, and the Glock 26. I am hoping to go shooting at an indoor range in the next couple weeks and really get a better idea of what feels good.

I do know that I liked the feel of the XD Compact because I got the chance to shoot one. I am hoping to shoot the other two. Juggs has the Glock 19, and I am even getting used to that from practicing with it since it is the only hang gun we have (everything else is rifle, or shottie.) We have been practicing with Gabe Suarez's video "Combative Pistol Marksmanship." It's a great video for where I'm at.

So I welcome any and all advice!! Thanks again and if I don't log on for a few days.......remember guys........Valentines Day is around the corner. And Happy Valentines Day to you all :wub:

Take care and God Bless,

Mrs J (Lorie)

vlcsnap-237971.png

Before I go on with a gun suggestion, let me make a quick observation about the slide release being hard (that is an easy fix by the way).

It is best to rack the slide to release it for at least two reasons:

1. "One" muscle memory for loading a round, releasing the slide and clearing jams.

2. In a gun fight situation, your hands can become dripping wet in a few seconds and trying to release the slide with a little button may not work very well (racking the slide is a sure thing).

Also, hands and fingers are very often injured in any confrontation and even more in gun fights.

Releasing the slide with bloody fingers in an almost impossible task under stress.

Gabe S. would tell you the same if you were asking him.

Now, here is my suggestion of a some good guns for any women.

The P99 is a great gun and fits most small or medium size hands real well.

A better option is the new Sig Sauer P250. You can chose the frame size which fits your hand the best and start with the 9mm Luger. The great thing about it is that you can go very easily from an ultra compact to full size in a few seconds (field strip and replace the polymer frame by another) while keeping the exact same trigger group (which also means the exact same trigger pull).

Once you get use to the 9mm, you can convert it as easily in 40SW without any paperwork: the serialized part is the insert with the trigger group. Everything else is just parts you can buy from anywhere.

I made a "short" trigger, "small" grip P228 for my wife about two years ago and she really liked it.

Today, I would get her a P250 without second thoughts (lighter, smaller and much more versatile).

I forgot to mention, my wife also used a Sig at her first pistol class here locally and hated it. She had trouble maintaing groups because of the double / single trigger pull. She also hated needing to decock constanly over 100 times during the class before holstering. The sig will also have slightly more recoil due to its higher bore axis. But it has never had any reliability issues and it fits the hand great.

You also mentioned an XD "compact" vs a Glock 26. Did you mean an XD "sub-compact"? The XD compact is a little bit bigger than a G19, The XD "sub-compact" is a little bit bigger than a G26. If this is what your choice boiled down to, I would take a closer look at the G26 with a +1 Pierce mag extension (the mag ext. almost makes it feel like another gun). The XD9 sub-compact is a bigger heavier gun than the G26, but has a much shorter barrel than the G26. I have both, and the G26 is a winner hands down if you compare these two guns.

If you plan on taking some of Gabe's pistol classes, choose reliability over comfort because your pistol will be put through the paces - and lots of them fail. I have taken several of Gabes Pistol courses (2 with my wife) and have seen broken S&Ws, cracked Karrs, an XD extractor break, and lots of 1911s go down. At The Suarez CRG class my wife attended this weekend, a $3,000 Nighthawk custom 1911 went down and the guy had to finish the class with a my carry G23. I used to think that whatever pistol "feels" and shoots good for you, is the one you should use, but I no longer believe that. I now know that reliability should be the #1 factor in choosing a carry gun. Even if you get a lemon Glock that has problems, I would never carry that. Usually, people sell lemon guns, and I have fallen victim to this in the past. Buy new, and use the factory obligation to fix any problems. I have taken 8 formal pistol courses now, and have concluded that MOST guns are not reliable in extreme circumstances.

I highly recommend the XD-40 Sub-Compact. I have one that has exactly 3880 rounds through it since I purchased it a little over 3 years ago. It is still running strong with all original parts. I keep a log on all my weapons, listing rounds fired, operator(s), and comments. With the rare exception of FTF from a bad reload, I have had almost no malfs in thousands of rounds through this pocket rocket! This gun is a workhorse that is built to last. It is a surprisingly smooth shooting and accurate 40, especially for being a Sub-Compact. I have even used this gun in both ISPSA and IDPA matches. I would not hestitate to use this for EDC, and would never feel under gunned. This gun is also easily carried in an IWB holster. Best of luck in your quest. :smoke:

Here are a couple of pics:

Here with the shorter carry mag:

9efee80d.jpg

Here with the extended mag beside my XD-45:

bc9498f5.jpg

My girlfriend just qualed and got her CCW card, We went a shopping and she fell in love with the XDm9 sub compact, 19+1 is awesome, and she liked the idea of the changable backstrap. She likes it so much, that she is starting to do her own reloads.

HUZZAH!!