.308 Conversion Complete....

That IS sweet!!!

You did a great job!

How much did the stock cost?

Is that the original forehand or you added that?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to catch everyone up on the .308-1 Saiga conversions:

Gas tube: Bulgarian AK-74, must file lower part of mounting area to fit. Works great!

Upper Forearm: Choate (or other US part), fits on Bulgarian AK-74 gas tube perfectly.

Lower Forearm: RPK production piece, available in wood or synth (Plum only I'm affraid).

Lower Forearm Retainer: RPK production piece, $35 from K-VAR, must file barrel to allow lock to work.

Front Sight Base: RPK production piece.

Muzzle Brake: Still searching....

Blackjack, what trigger did you use on the Saiga project rifle?

It appears that you retained the Saiga front stock while adding the hand grip and different butt stock. I was considering that when I found out that in order to use either a Global or Red Star trigger, I had to do some conversion of my rifle to use the grip and change the rear stock. (I am not going to have a local Saiga seller polish my trigger group and see if that will tide me over with no major changes to my rifle, other than the Kager Precision front sight and Mojo rear peep sights.)

The FCG in that pic is a single hook that came out of a SAR-3 but I have since installed a Gordon double hook FCG. I never could come up with a good butt stock pad for the stock in the picture so I have ordered a Chote stockset. The AK stock in the pic beat my sholder up too much.

I had to totaly redo the trigger group and guard and even the one I have on now will have to be changed to use the Chote stock, good thing I used bolts and nuts and not rivets for the trigger guard. I also had to reshape the Gordon hammer to get it to work properly.

The stock FCG on this .308 was the worst I had ever experienced, the stock FCG on my Saiga-12 is actually pretty good.

I've got a Psop 8x42 scope on the way for the .308 and that should finish out this project.

• 2 weeks later...

Blackjack, Spserg, & Fredness....super work on your Saiga 308s. Has anyone modified the existing Saiga 308 trigger to work with a Choate or AK pistol grip/buttstock?

I know it has the long tail, for use with the sporter stock....just wondering if you could modify the trigger to work with the choate or pistol grip stock. That would leave your bolt, disconnector, etc all stock.

Also, is RSA or someone going to make a drop in pistolgrip trigger? They would sell !!!!!

enjoy.....

"AKs take a licking and keep on ticking!!!"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Front Lug needs to be milled out, weld built up for the front of the mag ledge to rest the front of the mag catch. I'm pretty much a amatuer at it, but did a little at a time. mearsure, do some more work...repeat. Krebs does it for ~ $175. Just be confident of your welding and milling abilities, its kind of on the simple side when you really get down to it.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my saiga 308 for about a year now and I have yet to find a gunsmith who knows how to or wants to change my trigger so I can put a different buttstock on. I would like to say to everyone great work on your conversions and If anyone has any advice or input on who to go to so I can move my trigger to put a different stock on it would be appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Yes i to have the .308 conversion. How do i post a pic. I need to change the forend, one more time guys, what specific parts do i need to change out the forearm to a traditional AK style. I have an HK 91 front site on mine (Its sweeeeet). Fully powder coated black,barrel is 16 inches W/muzzle brake, plus a nice halo sight.Does anyone do the forend conversion???? Thanks in advance

If you want to attach the picture to your post, click ADD REPLY button below (NOT FAST REPLY) and on the next page you will see the section called File Attachments - it is right under Post Icons section.

When you're done typing a message, click on the Browse... button in the File Attachments section and select the picture in your PC that you want to attach! Now all you need to do is press Add Reply

• 2 weeks later...

If you dont mind me asking what did it cost you? Can you give me any details of how the made the modifications ( welded , threded etc) and do they have a web-page? i have been looking for someone to make these mods for a while, this is the first i have heard of anyone who does it. thanks!

Here is a side view. I still need info on the forend conversion. This unit is for sale or trade, if anyone is interested.This is a very short unit. It has been a great build. It also comes with a Aries Mk 258 night vision scope W/case. I currently have 1,500.00 into this unit.I would be interested in a 1919 kit w/sideplate, nice FAL or???????? There was alot into this, i will give all details on request.

post-6-1066502764.jpg

Edited by 308 for life
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

308 for life , Fredness

I have been looking for a rear sight with adjustable windage, like you guys have. Ive called CDNN and global trades and they say dont have it or it dosent fit. could you tell me where i can get one or how to modify the one from globaltrades.com so it will fit.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been looking for a rear sight with adjustable windage, like you guys have. Ive called CDNN and global trades and they say dont have it or it dosent fit. could you tell me where i can get one or how to modify the one from globaltrades.com so it will fit.

The windage adjustable rear sight is available from K-Var or Inter-Ordnance. K-Var's is Bulgarian and Inter-Ordnance is East German (which is really Russian I think).