Just Finished!

I just finished my conversion tonight! :super: I love the way my gun looks and feels now. Big thanks to Acer, Surly, and everyone else that helped me through some rough points.

Here she is:

post-13043-1227597368_thumb.jpg

NATO length stock is on its way from Dinzag...can't wait to put it on!

A few things I had trouble with through this build were: not having the pg nut hole pre-cut so I had to cut it in myself which was a lot easier than I thought it would be, then my Tap Co hammer would not fit properly in place so I had to reuse the old one (no big deal but I'm not sure how this will affect my 922 compliance). The second thing that went wrong was that the Tap Co disconnector would not allow the disconnector spring to fit into it...I fixed the problem by dremeling out the disconnector and cutting the spring a bit. Everything now works fine however while putting everything back in, I forgot to put the manual bolt hold open lever back in. The gun seems to still function alright with out it except the trigger gets a little hung up when I release it because it seems to drift to the right (I think this is because the bolt hold open lever helps keep everything in place or at least tighter?) either way, I'll have to get around to putting it in sometime. If it weren't for this forum there is no way I would have thought I could do this by myself but once I got started everything was easier than I expected and a lot cheaper than having someone else do it for me. Well any ways, just thought I'd share.

I just finished my conversion tonight! :super: I love the way my gun looks and feels now. Big thanks to Acer, Surly, and everyone else that helped me through some rough points.

Here she is:

post-13043-1227597368_thumb.jpg

NATO length stock is on its way from Dinzag...can't wait to put it on!

A few things I had trouble with through this build were: not having the pg nut hole pre-cut so I had to cut it in myself which was a lot easier than I thought it would be, then my Tap Co hammer would not fit properly in place so I had to reuse the old one (no big deal but I'm not sure how this will affect my 922 compliance). The second thing that went wrong was that the Tap Co disconnector would not allow the disconnector spring to fit into it...I fixed the problem by dremeling out the disconnector and cutting the spring a bit. Everything now works fine however while putting everything back in, I forgot to put the manual bolt hold open lever back in. The gun seems to still function alright with out it except the trigger gets a little hung up when I release it because it seems to drift to the right (I think this is because the bolt hold open lever helps keep everything in place or at least tighter?) either way, I'll have to get around to putting it in sometime. If it weren't for this forum there is no way I would have thought I could do this by myself but once I got started everything was easier than I expected and a lot cheaper than having someone else do it for me. Well any ways, just thought I'd share.

The Tapco hammer does not fit with the manual bolt hold-open in place unless you trim the right axle back by the width of the bolt hold-open. That may have been the problem if the bolt hold-open was in at the time. There are also some other modifications needed. Dinzagarms.com has an FCG specifically for a .308 conversion that is a "drop in" assembly. It works great, and even comes with a disconnector spring installed. The hammer is a countable part for 922r, so your count would be off by one unless you put on a U.S. handguard, etc.

The factory .308 disconnector spring does not work with a Tapco FCG without modifications being done. A regular AK disconnector spring can be used.

Did you use the axle sleeve that came with the Tapco FCG? If not, the trigger can wobble a bit; which is not good. Otherwise, I don't think the trigger should shift much at all. The factory hammer is another matter. It was made to be used with the BHO installed. Without the BHO in place, the hammer could shift and cause problems.

Also, check the function of the safety. Converted .308s sometimes have a problem with it. That issue is also addressed by the Dinzagarms .308 PG FCG.

Gook luck!

Do you have a Double Hook or Single Hook Tapco set?

If it is a double hook, you will have to cut a matching slot on the other side of the trigger hole.

It's the single hook.

The Tapco hammer does not fit with the manual bolt hold-open in place unless you trim the right axle back by the width of the bolt hold-open. That may have been the problem if the bolt hold-open was in at the time. There are also some other modifications needed. Dinzagarms.com has an FCG specifically for a .308 conversion that is a "drop in" assembly. It works great, and even comes with a disconnector spring installed. The hammer is a countable part for 922r, so your count would be off by one unless you put on a U.S. handguard, etc.

The factory .308 disconnector spring does not work with a Tapco FCG without modifications being done. A regular AK disconnector spring can be used.

Did you use the axle sleeve that came with the Tapco FCG? If not, the trigger can wobble a bit; which is not good. Otherwise, I don't think the trigger should shift much at all. The factory hammer is another matter. It was made to be used with the BHO installed. Without the BHO in place, the hammer could shift and cause problems.

Also, check the function of the safety. Converted .308s sometimes have a problem with it. That issue is also addressed by the Dinzagarms .308 PG FCG.

Gook luck!

Yep, used the axle sleeve. I didn't realize the hammer could shift do to the BHO not being in place. For a quick fix I think I'll just put the BHO back in and then sometime in the future I might get Dinzag's FCG...that would have made the conversion a lot easier! I have heard about the safety issue and it was one of the first things I checked when I finished the conversion...no problem there. Thanks for the info guys.

A little heads up, some of the saiga rifles with fire on release of the trigger with the saiga hammer and a tapco g2 trigger.

That's not good. I'm gonna take the gun apart tomorrow to put in the BHO and I'll make sure that everything is working properly. Thanks for the heads up...that could have made the test fire pretty dang interesting.