We were sitting here drinking beer, and heard about 4-5 gunshots, I said 'did you hear that', and then another. couple of shots. Of course I grabbed a pistol and went and looked out the front window. Surprisingly, (and I say this because I have called them about people snooping around my driveway and prowling around the condo building, been told that someone was coming to take a report, and then never seen/heard from them again) the police showed up in force, and canvassed the block for about 20 minutes. Probably about 4 or 5 cars, from what I could tell. Of course, I grabbed a scope and watched them drive around, shining spotlights in yards and fronts of apartments.

I saw a grand prix drive by, park on a street perpendicular to my place, then drive around through an alley and go back down the hill. The cops lit him/her up, and kept them sitting in their car for about 30 minutes. They just drove off. I get the impression that they corralled off the whole block, and pulled anyone over who was trying to leave. I don't know if they actually got the people who were popping off rounds, but I'm hungry, and since they're gone, I'm gonna go get something to eat.

I'm pretty sure no one got shot, as I never saw an ambulance or a fire truck.

Craziness.

You said "....again", do you hear this a lot where you live? I remember last year, hearing lots-o-gunfire somewhat near my parents' house. I mean, there's some woods near their house, but it was late, pitch black out, and it was shots fired quickly. Almost as if someone were bumpfiring or had an FA weapon. Nothing ever came of it though.

Careful out there on your way to get some grub. A Wendy's Baconator isn't worth a bullet....................well, maybe a .22. :lol:

Man I feel for you guys living amongst the cities. Out here in the country the only gun shots I hear are from hunters or myself. And if you are gonna risk getting shot for food might as well make it some popey's fried chicken with red beans and rice.

I second that. (Not the Popeye's Chicken part) I live in the "country" and State Game lands pretty much surround our communities so we hear guns all the time, but it's target and fun shooting. I was out shooting Sunday for a couple minutes. After my first clip, someone about 200 yards to my right emptied 30 rounds. Then someone about 300 yards to the left started unloading. We ended up sending kind of a morris code thing back and forth. There were a lot of shots from all around during those few minutes. This was the last week end to sight and practice before buck season.

Man I feel for you guys living amongst the cities. Out here in the country the only gun shots I hear are from hunters or myself.

Sure, cause the last time I heard gunshots (a block away) in my low-crime liberal college town of 23,000 3 people were killed with assault rifles.

3 Dead in Idaho Shooting Spree

Weird ass shit can happen anywhere.

Man I feel for you guys living amongst the cities. Out here in the country the only gun shots I hear are from hunters or myself.

Sure, cause the last time I heard gunshots (a block away) in my low-crime liberal college town of 23,000 3 people were killed with assault rifles.

3 Dead in Idaho Shooting Spree

Weird ass shit can happen anywhere.

SupeA has a valid point. He hears shots and people aren't dieing and committing violent crimes. Elvis hears them and he has to wonder and still knows it isn't friendly fire.

Weird/bad things can happen anywhere. The shooting of the two people is sad. I'm just glad that one of the three was the shooter and it ended there.

It's not like I live in a bad part of town, although Birmingham is a pretty dangerous place, compared with cities it's size in other parts of the country. But yes, I do hear gun shots at least a couple of times a month, this time they were really close. I think they were coming from the block behind my building. We got the Shot Spotter system in Bham a couple of years ago, but I don't know where they acoustic receivers are located. From what I've read, you need at least 2 receivers every square mile or so, and the system is able to pinpoint gun fire within 40 feet. The cops were patrolling hard around my block, so I'm assuming it was probably at the apartments behind my building.

Nah, he killed 3. Turned out after he came home from the poolhall he put a bullet in his wife before the rampage.

Mentally screwed scumbag for sure. Did a motive ever come out?

I don't think the random deranged lunatic's rampage falls in the same category as the organized gang and street crime gun play that I think superA meant. Crazy people live everywhere for sure, but street thugs don't. Or they do and just know better because they're way out gunned by good people that will watch out for everyone around them who also have guns.

Either way, gun fire in my neighborhood area would usually mean someone is legally shooting and all is safe. It's great!

On a similar note to thread & my above post.

We did have a false alarm scare in our town of about 1300 and no police force. Somehow a "bat phone" rumor started that a stranger to the community was canvasing the streets with a gun(gossip gone bad). I was .25 miles from my house, working on the new place when the wife call to further spread this rumor. So I headed home to the wife & kids. On my way home I traveled 3-4 blocks and about 3 mins time pasted from my call. At this point the stranger had vanish and all was well. The lone gunman had disappeared only to be replace by 5 more from the neighborhood.

Everyone reversed the bat call and found that one of our new neighbors was on the phone and thought that she heard her friend tell her unknown guy was snooping around w/ a gun???. She hung up and made some calls which started a lighting fast chain of events that ultimately lead to half the town arming themselves and others heading out to take care of business. Looking back it was funny as hell. And the most excitement in a long time.(besides pushing sheep through fence)j/k

* Bat Phone Rumor = small town gossip hot line

On another note. Your avatar makes me lose concentration. Every time.

This is almost a nightly occurrence where I live.

Three killed at my complex in the last 20 months. Many wounded. I had a rifle battle between 3 armed men less then 2 months ago, 70 yards from the home. I have a SWAT call-out the month before that, on a nut with a SKS that did not want to go in on a Child Molestation warrant.

I will be happy when I can move. :(

as a youngster, my neighborhood was good, but you could tell that the "core" was spreading west, over the years at night i would periodically hear exchanges of gun fire and know that it was coming from a park about1 mile east of us. We had the freeway as somewhat of a barrier, but it was clear that it was getting to be time to move. Then i went to college and my parents downsized...further west.

Three killed at my complex in the last 20 months. Many wounded. I had a rifle battle between 3 armed men less then 2 months ago, 70 yards from the home. I have a SWAT call-out the month before that, on a nut with a SKS that did not want to go in on a Child Molestation warrant.

That definitely sounds like S Fulton, Dekalb, and Clayton counties. About 20 minutes south of that here in Coweta county I hear some hunters once in a while and the guys a few miles down the road cut up with some NFA itmes about twice a month. Then there is me and my neighbor's backyard range. So gunshots are the norm here.

I hear gunfire here about once a week if not more often, and I live near downtown.

It's alway different too, of course you get the pow pow pow of someone dropping 12 to15 rounds of 9mm, and then the occasional loud high power rounds,

the peaks are the 4th of July,.., and New years, people drop 30 round mags like ammo is free or something,

I have a couple bullets embedded in my metal porch roof ,... what goes up,..

If I called the five 0 everytime I heard shots,... jeeze, they would install caller ID and ignore me,..

+ 1 to what azrial said about going to the window, unless you know they are from far off,..

By the way guys, going to the window when you hear gun fire, while natural, is a great way to catch a bullet. Use caution.

Elvis, maybe you could call mayor LaLa and ask him and his croonies to pray for the shooting to stop, they seem to think that God will make it all go away and Bettye Fine Collins will fix the 3 billion dollar sewer dept, hope you don't live near Ensley, or the north side of B'ham, or the west side, or the south side. B'hma is now rated as the 8th most dangerous cities in the country. Maybe one day they'll be rated #1.

It's not like I live in a bad part of town, although Birmingham is a pretty dangerous place, compared with cities it's size in other parts of the country. But yes, I do hear gun shots at least a couple of times a month, this time they were really close. I think they were coming from the block behind my building. We got the Shot Spotter system in Bham a couple of years ago, but I don't know where they acoustic receivers are located. From what I've read, you need at least 2 receivers every square mile or so, and the system is able to pinpoint gun fire within 40 feet. The cops were patrolling hard around my block, so I'm assuming it was probably at the apartments behind my building.

What is the Shot Spotter system? On a side note, yes, I was not even speculating on what the shooting was about, just that I live outside of city limits and gunfire is legal. In the city gunfire almost always means something bad just happened even if it was self defense, nobody wants to put in that situation, doesn't mean you don't prepare for it, you still wish it wasn't part of this world we live in.

Man I feel for you guys living amongst the cities. Out here in the country the only gun shots I hear are from hunters or myself. And if you are gonna risk getting shot for food might as well make it some popey's fried chicken with red beans and rice.

I was just talking about Popeye's this morning. Definitely worth the risk.

I hear gunshots almost everyday in my neighborhood... usually my own. Country living is the shit!

What is the Shot Spotter system?

A federally funded project that uses a series of strategically placed mics that using the Doppler effect are able to pinpoint gun fire in near real time down to about a 30" circle.

They are pretty accurate, or they were 6 years ago when I worked on the project. I would would think that they have improved the system.

Elvis, maybe you could call mayor LaLa and ask him and his croonies to pray for the shooting to stop, they seem to think that God will make it all go away and Bettye Fine Collins will fix the 3 billion dollar sewer dept, hope you don't live near Ensley, or the north side of B'ham, or the west side, or the south side. B'hma is now rated as the 8th most dangerous cities in the country. Maybe one day they'll be rated #1.

HAHAHAHA. Yeah, when, they put on canvas sacks, rubbed ashes on themselves and had a massive summit where preachers claimed that Langford was sent by God to save the city, I figured it would fix all of our problems :rolleyes: .

I live in southside, in the Highland area. Like I said, it's not the worst part of Birmingham, but when they tore down the projects downtown and moved all those assholes into south town projects, right down the street, you could definitely see an almost instantaneous increase in crime around southside. I've almost been robbed late at night in five points, I psyched them out, I had a kel-tec p32 on me and was ready to light them up if need be. My buddy had to draw down on some kids that tried to rob him and another friend. .357mag > .25 pea shooter. I think the guy shit himself.

Glad someone else here is familiar with the abortion that is local government in Birmingham.

What is the Shot Spotter system?

A federally funded project that uses a series of strategically placed mics that using the Doppler effect are able to pinpoint gun fire in near real time down to about a 30" circle.

They are pretty accurate, or they were 6 years ago when I worked on the project. I would would think that they have improved the system.

I was under the impression that it used acoustic triangulation... which may be the same thing as the Doppler effect, IDK. I thought it worked kinda like GPS, only with microphones instead of satellites and GPS transponders.

I'm sending you PM regarding your work with the system.

I would've assumed some parts of Atlanta were bad, but DAMN! A rifle shootout? Most shootouts you hear about are handguns. Not that I'd want to be near any shootout, I'd really hate to be near someone letting off rifle fire in the city.

Hey Azrial I feel your pain man. I grew up in the SAV. That jackass almost rapper 'Camoflage got shot literally next to my house. Ilived pretty much "In the ghetoooo..." as the king would say. Hell we had a bullet that had been shot into the air come down on our front porch rail. Now I live down the South Fulton pkwy just over the Chatt. Nice country, only hunting shots. Though I will say that when I am out on the farm during hunting season I am always healed cause some poachers would rather kill you than get caught. I may be near Atlanta now, but you won't find me in Five Points after dark.

I was under the impression that it used acoustic triangulation... which may be the same thing as the Doppler effect, IDK. I thought it worked kinda like GPS, only with microphones instead of satellites and GPS transponders.

I'm sending you PM regarding your work with the system.

I am not an expert however as I understand the system it uses both Doppler and triangulation. This was based on a quick technical discussion with a tech. I am sure that the company has plenty of info on its website.

I am sure of how well it worked technically years ago when I was responding to it. It generated a fair number of false alarms and even with the real time notification it was sometimes difficult to have a man on scene quick enough. But, overall, and with the progress in technology I think that it was a good thing.

I do not want the wackos shooting in my neighborhood. It is far too dangerous in this dense inner city environment. Just come look at the number of wheel chairs per acre sometime.

Hey Azrial I feel your pain man. I grew up in the SAV. .... I may be near Atlanta now, but you won't find me in Five Points after dark.

It sounds like you live in a better place now. Savannah used to have the second highest incidence of murder per person right after Atlanta. Still I like the town.

Five Points is like BuckHead compared to where I live. I never go outside unless armed and keep an AK or a guage in the trunk of the POV. My fiancée (ex-special ops cop - ex-swim suit model) carries as well and is fuly checked out on my long arms.

I am not bragging, this sux. But right now, I can not leave the money. :(