Saiga 12 for deer hunting

I live in Ohio and have to use a shotgun to hunt deer. I haven't hunted since the late 80's when I lived in PA and I could use a rifle there. I have never hunted deer with a shotgun, but want to head out and try it and I was wondering if any of you use your S12 for deer.

Also, I know that in Ohio there is a 3-round cap limit. Being a newbie to the S12, can I find a 3-round mag, or will I have to plug a 5-rounder and if so, can someone tell me how to do that?

Thanks!

I live in Ohio and have to use a shotgun to hunt deer. I haven't hunted since the late 80's when I lived in PA and I could use a rifle there. I have never hunted deer with a shotgun, but want to head out and try it and I was wondering if any of you use your S12 for deer.

Also, I know that in Ohio there is a 3-round cap limit. Being a newbie to the S12, can I find a 3-round mag, or will I have to plug a 5-rounder and if so, can someone tell me how to do that?

Thanks!

Wanted to use it this year but didn't get around to getting it sighted in right. It shoots close to a foot low. You won't be able to find a 3 rounder, just cut a chunk of wood and fit it inside the spring.

If you have a 3 round limit you would need to block the mag to a 2 rounder because you can get 1 round in the chamber. ;)

I bought what was suposed to be a 2 round mag, and got a factory 5 with a plastic plug. The plug was made well though.

I'll try to figure out where i got it from.

Nevermind, that post they linked you to is about the best info i've seen on them. I'm pretty sure i got mine from saigastock.com.

Edited by Nailbomb

I am using my converted S-12 to deer hunt in Iowa this year, lucky for us we don't have any mag restrictions on shotguns (I just got my MD Drum today, but probably will stick to the 5 rounders to hunt with :devil: ). With Winchester and Federal it was staying on a 12" cardboard box at 75 yards from standing, I've never owned a slug gun that I enjoy as much as this one. I do think the thing is going to be a game warden magnet though :super:

Interesting that this was brought up. My son went deer hunting in the lower part of the state over the weekend and wanted to use my Saiga. I said no and lent him a pump gun. After thinking about it for awhile I thought why not? He ended up shooting a doe with the pump but it got me thinking about the Saiga for next year.

The first round out of my '109 was a remington express 3" OO Buck shell which hit what ended up being both my buddies and my first buck with three out of the 15 pellets (15-20 yards). He shot it with my s12 and then it ran across the swamp/cattail area to my side and I hit it on the run twice with my milled arsenal sam-7 (5 rnd mag of course). And the libs say "assault weapons aren't good for anything sporting..WTF.... Their transparent evil plan sickens me.

I really want a poly choke.....I was a little surprised that only 3 pellets connected.

49gmc

The first round out of my '109 was a remington express 3" OO Buck shell which hit what ended up being both my buddies and my first buck with three out of the 15 pellets (15-20 yards)....

I had to reread this about 4 times... I thought you meant that you shot two of your friends AND a deer! I was sitting here thinking, "Did the deer run past his 2 friends and he opened fire??!?" :unsure:

I am using my converted S-12 to deer hunt in Iowa this year, lucky for us we don't have any mag restrictions on shotguns (I just got my MD Drum today, but probably will stick to the 5 rounders to hunt with :devil: ). With Winchester and Federal it was staying on a 12" cardboard box at 75 yards from standing, I've never owned a slug gun that I enjoy as much as this one. I do think the thing is going to be a game warden magnet though :super:

LOL!! It would be kinda hard to explain why your sitting in a deer stand with a 20rd drum plugged into your shotgun!! :smoke:

Edited by AmericanKenpo
The first round out of my '109 was a remington express 3" OO Buck shell which hit what ended up being both my buddies and my first buck with three out of the 15 pellets (15-20 yards)....

I had to reread this about 4 times... I thought you meant that you shot two of your friends AND a deer! I was sitting here thinking, "Did the deer run past his 2 friends and he opened fire??!?" :unsure:

Haahaa.. I'm sorry for the ambiguous wording. John shot it first with the s12, then I shot it with the arsenal. IT was the first buck either of us had ever shot. No humans were injured in the event which is the subject of this story.

The first round out of my '109 was a remington express 3" OO Buck shell which hit what ended up being both my buddies and my first buck with three out of the 15 pellets (15-20 yards). He shot it with my s12 and then it ran across the swamp/cattail area to my side and I hit it on the run twice with my milled arsenal sam-7 (5 rnd mag of course). And the libs say "assault weapons aren't good for anything sporting..WTF.... Their transparent evil plan sickens me.

I really want a poly choke.....I was a little surprised that only 3 pellets connected.

49gmc

So far I have killed 3 with my S-12 and 2 with my S-308, both are fine hunting guns. Deer, unlike democrats, don't seem to care what the gun the bullets came out of looks like. Word to the wise, for hunting get the Polychoke without the muzzle brake. Saturday a couple of weeks ago I shot a total of 9 times and my ears are still ringing.

I nailed a six point with a slug. Just a pump but I kind of liked it. Put that sucker down on the spot. Mine was 42 yards, thought that was a decent shot with a slug but 100 yards, god damn, nice shooting.

haha thanks.. and thanks again to sicktooth

Thanks,

It was kinda funny, getting all the "Is that thing legal", "is that a rifle" questions :devil: . About 9 out of 10 guys I hunt with use 870s, with the odd 1100, 11-87, or Berretta thrown into the mix, the S-12 is WAY past most of their comfort zones :D

On top of it all, I got the wife to help me skin and quarter it with me this afternoon :red_heart: (she's better at skinning deer than I am).

Some state you HAVE to hunt with a shotgun? And a 30-06, 308, 303, 300 win mag, 270s don't have big enough bullets or what? Bolt actions seem safer in my mind, but I don't hunt. What's the reasoning behind this?

Some states think that a rifle bullet, if it does not hit it's intended target, may travel into a populated area and injure or kill someone. They think that a shotgun slug will lose it's inertia before that happens. It makes sense.... slightly. Personally, I think it should be a county-by-county basis, as some states, like Ohio where I live, have some counties that are extremely populated, while other counties are much less dense.

Nice deer ML Roak,, i'm going out for second season in iowa this saturday with my saiga 12. I figure if i miss i can jump out of the tree and spear it with my tromix shark break. lol

Thanks,

There are lots of nice ones out there. Every deer we kill with a gun is one less that will get hit by a car :devil:

Sounds like you need one of Camerons Porcupines ;)

Happy hunting.

• 4 weeks later...

Used my S12 at Markham Park Ft lauderdale yesterday for the first time WITH my Dpms LR308 with Trij Reflex30 sight.

50 yds, 2 targets.

All 20 from the AR in bull

Saiga12(stock sights, NO SCOPE) all 10 shots 4-5 inches grouped slightly lower than bull (win super x slug)

Moral of story

At 50 yds

Stock Saiga12 shoots just as well as DPMS 308

next time I will aim slightly higher

I am very impressed and for $599 you cant beat it, cant wait for some dirty pig action

:rolleyes:

49gmc

So far I have killed 3 with my S-12 and 2 with my S-308, both are fine hunting guns. Deer, unlike democrats, don't seem to care what the gun the bullets came out of looks like. Word to the wise, for hunting get the Polychoke without the muzzle brake. Saturday a couple of weeks ago I shot a total of 9 times and my ears are still ringing.

Amen to that. I hacked the vents off my 2 Polychokes because my own experience of ear numbness while hunting.....OUCH is all I can say. Love them Polychokes though!

I took my S-20 out to the range yesterday to pattern it using my #3 buckshot reloads (18 pellets) and my non-vented polychoke. With the choke on x-full, It would put 5 pellets on an 8 1/2"x11" sheet of paper at 25yds. I also have a 1.5-4.5 power scope on a side mount for my S-20. I plan on using it for the regular deer season here in Michigan. Where I live in the southern half of the state, we can only use shotguns, muzzleloader or the appropriate size handguns. NO RIFLES. :(