Saiga 12 for deer hunting

Some state you HAVE to hunt with a shotgun? And a 30-06, 308, 303, 300 win mag, 270s don't have big enough bullets or what? Bolt actions seem safer in my mind, but I don't hunt. What's the reasoning behind this?

In Iowa they allow group hunting and deer drives. I think that the shotgun rule is for range limitation. The slugs lose trajectory alot faster than rifles. I really enjoy hunting with my saiga-12, the handling is so much better than a conventional shotgun. Plus my ground is spread out, the magazine makes getting legal for road travel ALOT quicker and easier.

• 5 months later...

Can anyone give me rough ballistics using a slug out at 100 and 200 yards? For reasons I would rather not get into aside from that I am married, I am not going to be able to afford an elk rifle this year and may not be able to find one to loan. That leaves me with a Saiga 12 and a Yugo AKMS. I can hunt big game in CO with a 5 round mag in shotgun, but the AK will need to be dropped to 5 rounds somehow.

I need to know an approximation of how much a slug will drop at 100 yards.

Thanks

Can anyone give me rough ballistics using a slug out at 100 and 200 yards? For reasons I would rather not get into aside from that I am married, I am not going to be able to afford an elk rifle this year and may not be able to find one to loan. That leaves me with a Saiga 12 and a Yugo AKMS. I can hunt big game in CO with a 5 round mag in shotgun, but the AK will need to be dropped to 5 rounds somehow.

I need to know an approximation of how much a slug will drop at 100 yards.

Thanks

Brenneke Black Magic Magnum 3" 1 3/8 oz slug http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=712244 ...if I was Elk Hunting with a Saiga 12 I guess I would use something along these lines.

http://www.brennekeusa.com/start.html click the Black Magic Magnum link to get ballistic and other info.

SureFire makes a 2 round mag. I bought one when I thought AZ regs require max 3 round shotgun mag capacity. Not so. Max in AZ for a shotgun is 5 rounds (o happy day!).

I'd be glad to sell the Surefire 2 round mag if anyone's interested. PM me.

Hey, ML ... you should shoot that coat next time out. What's with the mask? Montana deer don't have THAT bad of B.O. LOL. Nice deer man! keep it up! It is great to see folks puttin meat on the table with the S-12!!