Federal Premium Tactical 00 Buckshot LE Full Power

Has anyone put this through a Saiga-12? It uses the Flite control wad and makes a very tight pattern. Any cheap Internet sources for it?

There was a great thread on this about a year ago. You might want to search for it. It was a very interesting thread.

Haven't shot the full power stuff, but the Low Recoil Tactical 00 Buck they make is awesome. Same pattern type with much less recoil. It feels lighter than birdshot through mine and I have to fire it on setting 2 for it to cycle. Which is awesome cuz I don't have to change settings to fire buck when I wanna switch from birdshot to buckshot and vice versa.

I have shot the Federal full power premium w/flight control through my S-12. For comparison, at 25 yards my Saiga 12 patterned Winchester Ranger LE 00 buck in about a 36" circle, with maybe 3 pellets in the "body" of the target, where the Federal pattern could be covered by a paper plate at the same distance and placed all 9 pellets in the "body".

I got to use the Federal 00 the other night to dispatch a possum in my yard after work (1AM or so). It was literally blown in half, I'd guess the range at roughly 15 yards using the headlights of my pick-up for illumination. I've shot quite a few critters with buckshot and never seen performance like that.

The only place I was able to find it was MidwayUSA, it's about $5 a box, but worth it to have around.

YMMV.

I shoot that, and the LE low recoil slugs exclusively through mine...it eats it right up. Great round, I shot it into a car door, it went through in one punch and dispersed inside of the car. Took out the ash tray, bottom of the steering column, peppered the seat, and didn't penetrate out of the passenger door. CAn't find the pics right now, but it was pretty cool.

Speer and federal SHOULD be the same for the following discussion but I'm not sure they are.

Speer low recoil 8 pellet - Great round, patterns under 4" with my Saiga at 20 yards. This was stuff I bought way back.

Federal low recoil 8 pellet - I tried this recently and it was good but not as tight as the Speer, probably running 8" or more at 20 yards. I have to experiment with it some more.

Feederal full power 8 pellet - This stuff is better than Winchester but patterns about 8" or more at 15 yards in my Saiga. Blech! Originally they said that the lowered velocity was required to minimize shot deformation causing inaccuracy and I'd say they weren't lying. This round though does seem to consistently spread out more vertically than horizontally resulting in an O shaped pattern which ain't all bad.

Federal low recoil 9 pellet - I have a hundred rounds on order. I've heard the 9 pellet throws a straggler but we'll see.

I have a feeling they've been playing with this round since its inception and making it open up more than the original which is really a shame. All the above worked flawlessly in my Saiga on setting 2. The full power had one FTF on setting 1 and was flawless on setting 2.