922 Complaince, AWB Ban Config & Mag questions for noob

Hello,

okay, I have totally changed this post as most of my qeustions have been answered from research in the Tech section.

I recently decided to get a Saiga 12 in evil config or have it converted to such. I know i am a little late to get to it w/ the rush on & all...at least I got all my AR stuff taken care of already. Mostly right now I would like to get the gun made into evil configuration so it would be grandfathered in the event of another AWB. Later I would like to have some extensive conversion work done to make it a SBS & all, but for now I just want to get it in evil configuration & 922 compliance.

I think what I am going to do is order the gun. Then I'll see if anyone has any ability to do trigger group conversion before a ban. If not I'll get the cheap Tapco M4 stock/grip unit to go on it for now so its evil.

So, if I add a pistol grip stock to the gun then according to 922 that is illegal unless it is a "US firearm". Since, by law, a firearm w/ ten or more US made parts is considered a US weapon the gun would again be legal...

The magazine counts as three parts, the Tapco Grip stock unit would count as two, but I am not sure if that is only b/c of the slip on rubber butt pad, one according to its website, the tapco FCG would be three parts. That all comes to 8 parts.

So I need two or three more US parts to be in compliance w/ 922. Can anyone recommend a few little parts parts I could get so that the gun is within 922 compliance?

BTW, did Cobra ever release a LRBHO device yet?

Edited by rightwingnut
...Since, by law, a firearm w/ ten or more US made parts is considered a US weapon the gun would again be legal...

The number of US made parts isn't what counts, it's the number of listed foreign parts. 10 or fewer listed foreign parts is the goal.

For example, adding a US made pistol grip doesn't count towards compliance, as the Saiga comes with no pistol grip - no listed foreign part is replaced. On the other hand, adding a foreign pistol grip would actually make it farther from compliance - adding another listed foreign part.

...Since, by law, a firearm w/ ten or more US made parts is considered a US weapon the gun would again be legal...

The number of US made parts isn't what counts, it's the number of listed foreign parts. 10 or fewer listed foreign parts is the goal.

For example, adding a US made pistol grip doesn't count towards compliance, as the Saiga comes with no pistol grip - no listed foreign part is replaced. On the other hand, adding a foreign pistol grip would actually make it farther from compliance - adding another listed foreign part.

Okay, so when you change a gun, that has been imported after 922 was enacted, from PC configuration it has to be considered a US firearm to be considered legal. To be a US firearm, legally, it can't have more than 10 foreign parts. Damn, that's a not very many parts really.

So, if I replace the FCG, the buttstock & the magazine that removes 7 foreign parts from the gun. How many more are there to go? It seems like a guy would have to buy a lot of parts to get it down to 10.

Is there a list of some various things you can buy to replace foreign parts to get it in compliance?

What does "listed" foreign parts mean?

Okay, thanks for that link.

So it looks like if I want to be able to use the russian magazine after I add the US stock/grip, I need to two of the three following US parts: the FCG, the gas piston, the muzzle accessory.

Does anyone know where i can get the Gas Piston? It would be nice if I could get the FCG, piston & stock from all one place. I can't find the piston at Tapco.

I know of the Tromix Shark brake. How about the King brake? Anyone like them?

Edited by rightwingnut