New Saiga Owner needs help with first mods

I just picked up my first Saiga (349.00 NIB good price?) I was hoping you folks could help me out.

First I was thinking about the conversion back to the standard trigger configuration. Can any one point me to a place where I can get the best price on a fire control group? I have done some minor gunsmithing and I feel petty good about this one.

Second: will a standard Ak mag chambered in 223/5.56 work in the Saiga 223? should I go hicap first?

Third: has anyone modified the stadard furniture and made it look cool? Pics if you have them.

Thanks again

Edited by ledfarmer
I just picked up my first Saiga (349.00 NIB good price?) I was hoping you folks could help me out.

First I was thinking about the conversion back to the standard trigger configuration. Can any one point me to a place where I can get the best price on a fire control group? I have done some minor gunsmithing and I feel petty good about this one.

Second: will a standard Ak mag chambered in 223/5.56 work in the Saiga 223? should I go hicap first?

Third: has anyone modified the stadard furniture and made it look cool? Pics if you have them.

Thanks again

every single question you asked has been answered a thousand times over... just requires a little searching...

as for the FCG and all the othe rparts.. i would order from dinzag... thats who i ordered from and so far hes been really nice and helpfull...

saiga takes saiga mags.. without converting thats ALL it will take..

i chose to just use US magazines to add compliance parts..

check the picture thread in the 223 7.62 and 308 forum to see pictures of what people have done with the stock handgaurd..

most importantly make sure the gun follows guidelines.. if you go PG or high cap mag you need to do the rest of the work to gets the parts count down.. thats one of the main reasons i used US mags.. it was simple no work AND added 3 compliance parts... info on compliance can also be found on Dinzags website...

Thanks again

every single question you asked has been answered a thousand times over... just requires a little searching...

as for the FCG and all the othe rparts.. i would order from dinzag... thats who i ordered from and so far hes been really nice and helpfull...

check the picture thread in the 223 7.62 and 308 forum to see pictures of what people have done with the stock handgaurd..

most importantly make sure the gun follows guidelines.. if you go PG or high cap mag you need to do the rest of the work to gets the parts count down.. thats one of the main reasons i used US mags.. it was simple no work AND added 3 compliance parts... info on compliance can also be found on Dinzags website...

Thanks for your input. I guese I was looking for opinions on what to do first.

Thanks again

Thanks for your input. I guese I was looking for opinions on what to do first.

in reading my response back it sounded cocky.. appologies.. = )

in regards to what to do first.. it all depends on the goal.... because SOME things will require an all at once change so you are not out of compliance... meaning lets say you want PG.. you can't JUST do pistol grip.. you have to replace other parts as well to stay in compliance..

what is the goal of the rifle.. what are you using it for?

Well, I guess Indy posted the best reply to an often posed question. Gunwiki Saiga Compliance Most of us were total noobs when we got here but after a while, figured most things out by reading the previous posts. You should not feel singled out, ledfarmer. This question has been asked a myriad of times since I have been around.

I stumbled onto the Gunwiki site by accident a few days ago. Hopefully, it will help out new visitors in the future.

Hopefully, it will help out new visitors in the future.

IF we can just get the noobs to actually SEE THIS PAGE AND READ IT!!!! LOL

:smoke:

Ok thanks for the info, can ask, I have searched but can not find the answer. Can I not just get a fire control group from Tapco. Is there any thing different from the "kits" that I see?

Hopefully, it will help out new visitors in the future.

IF we can just get the noobs to actually SEE THIS PAGE AND READ IT!!!! LOL

:smoke:

Ok thanks for the info, can ask, I have searched but can not find the answer. Can I not just get a fire control group from Tapco. Is there any thing different from the "kits" that I see?

get the one from Dinzag

http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/fcg.html

heres the difference

"In addition to the standard G2 FCG features, The Saiga variation have the width of the hammer turned down to clear the bolt-hold-open lever. Parting lines are removed and they are refinished, then contacting surfaces are polished to improve trigger feel."

good luck

Here is my vented hg, using a drill and a file. It was more of a PITA than I'd expected, getting everything to line up. I think that if I'd had a drill press it would have been easier.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=25034

here's the same gun w/ a Galil style hg installed in place of the original. Same chair too... Anyway, the Galil style is the only option I know of which will let you show the barrel and gas tube in original AK style w/o replacing the gas tube.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?act=at...st&id=21009

As far as mags go, got a bullet guide and Orlite Galil style poly mags. They're sturdy as H, and have never had any feed issues.

I went w/ FCG, PG, and buttstock first. Then got bullet guide and mags. Lastly, the new hg. Hope any of this helps.

Here is my vented hg, using a drill and a file. It was more of a PITA than I'd expected, getting everything to line up. I think that if I'd had a drill press it would have been easier.

here's the same gun w/ a Galil style hg installed in place of the original. Same chair too... Anyway, the Galil style is the only option I know of which will let you show the barrel and gas tube in original AK style w/o replacing the gas tube.

As far as mags go, got a bullet guide and Orlite Galil style poly mags. They're sturdy as H, and have never had any feed issues.

I went w/ FCG, PG, and buttstock first. Then got bullet guide and mags. Lastly, the new hg. Hope any of this helps.

Did you reinstall the Bolt Hold Opener? I am in the middle of my first conversion and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it or not. Thanks.

Did you reinstall the Bolt Hold Opener? I am in the middle of my first conversion and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it or not. Thanks.

id keep it..