Modifying M14 mags for a Saiga S308(who did it and how?)

There was a post on barfcom about converting M14 mags to work in a Saiga 308 complete with measurements and rudimentary technical drawings and now it is gone just in time for me to need it.I recently acquired another S308 and a crate of 25rd CMI M14 mags and it's time to get busy but rather than reinvent the wheel I thought I would look up that post again and it is no more.I want to mill out a few bars of front and rear mag tabs for the M14 to Saiga conversion and start producing steel mags in bulk while I still can.

Can you guys help a brother out and look through your saved data and see if you have any of that info tucked away in your hard drives?

Thanks

I don't know about the technical details, but I do remember it was time consuming to do. Tromix did a few, but stopped doing them because the were $65-75 each. When the FBMG & Surefire mags came out, it killed the retail market. The key is to comfort the Saiga to take unmodified M-14 (or FAL or DPMS or AR-10) mags. Now that would sell like hotcakes.

I don't know about the technical details, but I do remember it was time consuming to do. Tromix did a few, but stopped doing them because the were $65-75 each. When the FBMG & Surefire mags came out, it killed the retail market. The key is to comfort the Saiga to take unmodified M-14 (or FAL or DPMS or AR-10) mags. Now that would sell like hotcakes.

I'm not making them to sell but to Hoard! :D

I have a table top mill and a crate of M14 mags and I don't want to mill the 3rd lug out of my trunnion so hopefully somebody save the info from the post on barfcom.

My Google-fu came up with this. But the images are no longer working. Hope it helps a bit http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/archive/inde...p/t-288092.html

I saw that post earlier but I certainly appreciate the effort.There was a comlete post with rudimentary drawings and measurments on barfcom but it has since evaporated as well.

The search continues :chris:

• 5 weeks later...

This is quite crude 5 round M-14 mag conversion I did some time ago. Just eyeballed the front and rear mag catches on place using the original mag as reference. Feeds OK when cycling the action by hand but when shooting I get fail to feed with approx. one in ten shots. The bolt also hits the follower when the mag is empty.

saigalipas001sd9.jpg

• 1 month later...