SAIGA-12 19" WHERE R U??????

dodgeturbointerceptor cograts on your new Saiga 12!!!!

I just got mine yesterday. They only had 20 inchers, good enough for me at $249.

So if I cut mine down to 19" will my gas system be F%ucked?

I know I know another question, but will it?

Also, how can I tell if mine is an Improved Chamber model?

Thanks for any input.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is possible that you could have problems cutting down your barrel. It is a autoloading shotgun w/gas system.

If you are cutting your barrel. You need to know how to bore out the gas ports. If you don't know how to do that. Don't bother cutting barrel. Pay someone with skills in that arena.

Thats why I payed "too much"? for my 19"Ic w/screw choke. I don't want to fuck around. I do not care that it cost me 100.00 more than 22". I got what I wanted. hence supply and demand.

oak.... try elite firearms.

Back to a previous question,

How can I tell if my 20" is an Improved Chamber model?

Also is it safe to shoot slugs with it?

Thanks

I don't know. Is it a 19" or 22" barrel?

where did you come up with 20"? Did you cut it? Did it come with choke? without?

According to some here and in Swat Article. Saiga shotguns all have IC. Choke variations are extras.

Ok not to sound too stupid here. But how do I know if it is an improved chamber?

Would it say IC on the side? Mine says nothing like that. :unsure:

On the one side of the reciever it says SAIGA-12 and below that it says

12 x 76 18,3

Any help/insight?

Ok not to sound too stupid here. But how do I know if it is an improved chamber?

Would it say IC on the side? Mine says nothing like that. :unsure:

On the one side of the reciever it says SAIGA-12 and below that it says

12 x 76 18,3

Any help/insight?

Just got the last 19inch from David Bailey...

Good choice. But remember. If you thought that you bought a 19" with rail/adjustable sight. You will be sent one without rail. His site is incorrect. I hope you paid the 347.00 and not 387.00 like me. David is helping me out thankfully.

And you don't get a cleaning kit with it......

All in all...BaileysGunShop/David Bailey was a good guy to deal with.

O.K. First things first. OAK, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN "IMPROVED CHAMBER"!!! (At least not in relation to the term "I.C." as used in relation to a shotgun")- I.C. refers to "Improved Cylinder" which refers to the "choke diameter" , or, basically the "wideness" or "Narrowness" (how the fuck do relate this in laymans terms???) of the barrel's muzzle, which directly affects the diameter of shot spreading (patterning) at a given distance w/ a shotgun. -O.C., or open choke is as wide as you can fucking go and will give you the widest shot pattern at any given distance. next is I.C., or improved cylender, this tightens up the pattern a little more, then modified, which tightens up the pattern a good bit more, and then "Full Choke". which will give you the tightest pattern.... This has absolutely nothing to do w/ the "chamber" of the shotgun, which is like the "Chamber" on a rifle, (sort of), this is where the cartridge or shell lives in the barrel for the period of time right before and after its discharge,- when you pull the bolt back and close it (let it go, in this case) you "chamber" a cartridge or shell, you are feeding and locking the shell into the barrel chamber prior to discharge- YOU NEWBIES TO FIREARMS, Pulllease learn about firearm function and safety before taking them out and shooting them; BE FAMILIAR WITH ALL ASPECTS OF YOUR WEAPON!!!

enough rant, thank you, but some of the remarks and questions in this thread made by certain site members has me a little concerned. :(

Edited by AKS_74

Well yeah. Thats why I am asking these questions before I go out and shoot a slug with this gun. Thats all I am trying to figure out.

IS IT SAFE TO SHOOT A SLUG IN MY 19" SAIGA 12??????????

This has absolutely nothing to do w/ the "chamber" of the shotgun, which is like the "Chamber" on a rifle, (sort of), this is where the cartridge or shell lives in the barrel for the period of time right before and after its discharge,- when you pull the bolt back and close it (let it go, in this case) you "chamber" a cartridge or shell, you are feeding and locking the shell into the barrel chamber prior to discharge- YOU NEWBIES TO FIREARMS,

PS When I said IC=improved chamber I meant improved cylinder. And yes I still want to know if it is an improved cylinder.

And yes I know that the "chamber" is where the "shell" lives. And yes I know that you pull the "trigger' when you want something to come flying out of the "barrel" at a very high speed.

Edited by oak

What choke you can shoot slugs out of is always a hot topic. Everyone knows someone who split a bbl, others know folks who have shot 100's of slugs. I'm in the second group.

Mine are both full choke. I shoot slugs galore (I just got a 250 round case of wolf slugs). I'm not worried about kabooms. I worry about accuracy (you give up some with the tighter choke), IC or Mod are prefered by folks I check with, but it's close enough for what I do.

Bottom Line: Your bbl is FINE to shoot slugs out of. If you like, box it up with a case of them and I'll do some testing for you :haha::dollar:

I was working on some measurements, but I've decided to post it in it's own thread.

Hi, Oak.

O.K. Is your saiga the 19" "Defender Model" w/ the threaded muzzle? This is the only "19" Saiga 12 that I am familiar w/ I opted to buy two of these instead of the 22" full choke model, as they are more suitable to my needs.. It should say in the manual that you have specific to your model. If it is a 19" defender, you can tell by the threaded muzzle. This model comes w/ a cylinder bore thread choke/ muzzle protector, but will accept the other chokes which come as a set from Saiga. I just measured my Saiga chokes w/ a dial gauge, the inside of the open (cylinder bore) choke is .718, the modified is .695, and the full is .675. (Izhmash does not sell an Improved cyl. choke for the Saiga, by the way). Since yours measures .719; I would say it is more like a O or open cylinder choke, which is as wide as you can get w/ the Defender 19" model, and would be perfectly fine for firing slugs, and will give you a much broader pattern spread than the 22' barreled Saiga 12; which I do not own but I remember CDNN adverising it as a Full choke (fixed) shotgun. A guy who works for EAA told me that Colonial arms does winchoke conversions on these, if I remember correctly, they want $75 to thread the barrel, this is an internal thread choke system, by the way, and the full set of chokes will run you about $65- I would go this route as the chokes are plentiful and it will give you versatility for all applications. Do a Yahoo subject search to get Colonial Arms phone#, I seem to have misplaced it. Good Luck!

J.D.

Thank you JD,

I really appreciate the info. No mine is not the threaded "defender model"but it is a 19".

I bought mine from a local shop and it was used (barely) so it didn't come with a manuel.

I was asking all of these questiions because i wanted to make sure it was safe to fire slugs with. I am new to the shotgun thing and wanted to be sure.

Thanks everyone else also

:killer:

Slugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AKS_74, there are 2 models with 19" barrels,

SAIGA12GA19SGBLACK 170250 S/A-SYN-SB-BL

SAIGA12GA19SGBLACKMC 170255 S/A-SYN-SB-BL-SC

SAIGA12GA22SGBLACK 170203 S/A-SYN-SB-BL

SAIGA12GA24SGBLACK 170200 S/A-SYN-SB-BL v

BL: BLUE

S/A: SEMI AUTO

SYN: SYNTHETIC STOCK

SC: SCREW CHOKE

SB: SIGHT BASE

AS: ADJUSTABLE SIGHT

I'd like to say hello, I'm new here. I'm mainly on gunboards.com, however they don't have much info on my newest purchase, which is the second one listed. I paid too much for it, but it's the one I wanted and it was hard to find. I'm happy. I just wanted to secure one in case the something falls through with the newly rumored importer. I could find the 22" all day long, but the 19 w/ the threaded barrel is, as you know, an entirely different story. Now dodgeturbo and I just have to find choke sets.