A 'vair tranny? That's really odd, as the corvair tranny normally takes power from the engine in one side, then spits it right back out to the transaxle on the same side, using a hollow shaft (the input shaft runs inside the output shaft IIRC).

If the 64 Tempest was using the 'vair tranny, I may have just found a new possible source for a replacement trans should mine ever break. Hmmm.... :super:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not really sure what that tranny was from, or one off???

The torque tube entered the front and the uncovered (!!!) torque converter hung out the back. There were CV joints on either side of the box like 2 speed auto. It was a really neat setup. Never seen anything like it before or since. Of course, I was a kid and twisted the torque tube up like a pretzel drag racing. Even then you couldn't find parts. I think they only made it for a year or two. I heard there was a V8 version but never saw one.

Smileyguy- The hottest GM was the buick wildcat. Nailhead buick V8 in the front, rear posi transaxle. Screaming demon. However only vetts were allowed to be advertised as sports cars. Don't know whatever happened to the transaxle- but GM sold the engine design and the tooling to rover. This is the V8 that is currently in range rovers! (old farts know the weirdest shit!)

G O B

I also have my first ride.

my parents dated in this 1948 GMC and I came home from the hospital in it.

mint - with 72,000 original miles and virgin engine

Busa was down for tires. I get 3000-4000 miles out of a set.

185 BHP will do that you know!

post-9-1106711182.jpg

Edited by use2b