NJ guys: Transporting gun/ammo to and from range...

Hi guys,

I'm new to the scene and had a couple of questions about transporting my rifle to and from the range.

The gun is obviously always unloaded, breach open, safety flag installed, and in it's case (zipped soft case), in the trunk of my car.

What is the deal with ammo? Can it also be in the trunk? Does it have to be in a locked box? Or can it be stored freely in a bag?

If not, should I keep it in a locked box in my back seat? Or is this unnecessary if it's locked? do I need a proper "lock" on my softcase?

My car (Honda Civic) has the back seat door thingamabob. does this affect my compliancy in any way?

Thanks.

-Joe

I use a Ford Exploder to transport my firearms to the range. I use a hard plastic case for the weapons (locked) and place all the ammo in a Pelican case which is also locked. All my stuff sits in the common cargo area, which is right behind the back seat. Because I don't have any separation in the vehicle interior I lock everything. Even back when I had a proper trunk, I still locked everything because a $15 pistol case, a $35 dollar hard case, and a couple of locks is cheap compared to a firearms violation and having your NJ FOID card revoked.

I've gotten pulled over before on the way home from the range. The PO saw the cases, had me open the rear window, and just shrugged and said "ok". He still gave me a ticket for a broken tail light but that was it. Your mileage may vary in your area.

Your gun is supposed to be locked, and separate from your ammo. You can toss your gun in your trunk, assuming you have an actual trunk, and leave your ammo on the front seat legally. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's legal. If you keep your gun in a locked case in the trunk you can keep your ammo in the trunk. If your gun case does not lock, do not leave it in the trunk with ammo unless the ammo is locked up in a box. The key thing is, one of them has to be locked up, and if you can only lock one of them up, make sure it's the rifle.

Your gun is supposed to be locked, and separate from your ammo. You can toss your gun in your trunk, assuming you have an actual trunk, and leave your ammo on the front seat legally. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's legal. If you keep your gun in a locked case in the trunk you can keep your ammo in the trunk. If your gun case does not lock, do not leave it in the trunk with ammo unless the ammo is locked up in a box. The key thing is, one of them has to be locked up, and if you can only lock one of them up, make sure it's the rifle.

Thanks dude! So basically, if one is locked, the other can be unlocked next to it, (same compartment??) I am going to lock both anyway. I gotta see if my back seat folds down. I guess it wouldn't be considered a proper trunk in that case!

I keep confusing it with my old car!

Looks like I need a new gun case. :-(

I think the ACE soft case locks; I'll probably pick one up.

-Joe

do not ever load your handgun, or have rounds to load your handgun, with hollow points !?!?!? or it is a b class felony PER ROUND in the "great" state of NJ.

.....I thought it said "uninfringed"?

A guy at my range asked me about the hollow point thing recently. We started looking together and we both came to the same understanding. The way we understood it, we can buy, posses, and shoot hollow points. You can't shoot someone with them, or be cought with them in your weapon though. Thing is, if you shoot someone in this state, you're probably going to jail anyway, even of the dude's in your house attacking you. They will say that you should have jumped out a second story window rather than shoot the bad guy. The other thing is, just about nobody can get a concealed carry permit. No concealed carry permit, no concealed weapon, no opportunity to have hollow points for anything other than target shooting. Best bet is to buy hollow points and take them directly to the range and leave them there. Thing is, why would you even buy hollow points if you're only allowed to shoot paper with them?

hollow points can almost always be loaded hotter, and thier ballistic coefficient is such, that they can remain more stable in flight than solid rounds.

All Im saying is, if you are in jersey, or passing through, do NOT have hollow points loaded in any handgun magazine or gun itself, locked, CCW'd or whatever, unless you are an on-duty police officer.

I think that law goes back to 'crack wars' and is from the tec9 and 9milli craze/scare.

I haven't read anything from the NJSP site that forbids the use of HP ammo for self defense.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html

"Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home."

Provisions must be met to transport and use HP ammo (same as all other ammo) and there are no restrictions as far as storing it at home. Activities outside the home are strictly defined to make sure that you are only traveling to and from your destination/activity without any "unreasonable" stops or delays (e.g. Christmas shopping).

This was meant to clear up the misconception that owning HP was illegal in NJ. HP's used in a crime are meant to tack on more time during sentencing.

There is nothing in the criminal code that states that they can't be used for self-defense and the statements at the NJSP website clarifies that you are in fact allowed to possess them.

HP's are my home defense rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow man, everybody talks so much shit about Cali. laws. New Jersey is far more restrictive. The only thing that has to be locked is handguns and registered A.W.'s. The handguns only have to be locked if they're conceled. If you wanted you just throw your unloaded pistol on the dash (exposed) and stuff a loaded mag in your pocket.

Edited by SJgunguy24