What brands of Ammo are you using?

Well, I just tried wolfs 124gr crap (inaccurate more-so than the 154 grains I was using), I've gone through every brand of Remington Wally world, Showmeshooters, Great Guns, and The Armory (Kearney, MO) had, now I'm looking for Hornady (a guy with an SKS says its great out to 100 yards). Apparently there are two other brands: Silver Bear and Brown Bear.

What brands have you guys found good accuracy with? YES, I KNOW THIS ISN'T A TACK DRIVER. Sorry about the caps, but apparently everyone believes I'm asking for .270 Accu-tip accuracy with this thing and I'm not. I'm just trying to find another brand to hit the target again (because Remingtion's 123gr stopped working somehow).

If anyone knows a good brand that balances accuracy and price (best price for 3" groups, 2" groups, etc etc), please post.

The most accuarate x39 ammo that I have found for a reasonable price is BARNAUL.

Silver bear is also pretty good, but Barnaul is more accurate in all of my x39 guns.

Remember, when you switch to a better quality ammo, you will need to re-zero your rifle for it. POI will often be remarkably different.

Just keep trying them out until you find some your rifle likes. We shot my brothers the other day using Wolf MC hollow points. It was only the second time he had it out and was getting roughly tennis ball size groups at 100 yards. I don't know how good that is but I liked it.

The most accuarate x39 ammo that I have found for a reasonable price is BARNAUL.

Silver bear is also pretty good, but Barnaul is more accurate in all of my x39 guns.

I thought they were the same ammo... just different boxes.....

???

I thought they were the same ammo... just different boxes.....

???

HEADSTAMP CHECK... I'm on it! :chris:

Edit with pics!

post-1914-1228274313_thumb.jpg

Silver bear, 12 gauge 7 1/2 shot

post-1914-1228274333_thumb.jpg

Barnual x39 fmj

Edited by scoutjoe

Barnaul makes silver bear sometimes - so does Novosibirsk plant, Klimovsk, and Ulyanovsk plants - whoever bids lowest or has the time to run it when its wanted . Thats why batches of silver bear ammo vary so widely in quality, there is no dedicated "Silver Bear" plant. Silver bear is loaded the same as brown bear, but with zinc plated cases instead of brown lacquer. If you get the stuff made at Barnaul, its probably going to shoot like Barnaul ammo.

Barnaul brand is made at the same factory, same line, same employees, with the same materials and powders. Thats why its so consistent from lot to lot.

I never buy with the expensive American x39 ammo because I have been reasonably pleased with the cheap Russian stuff. I bought 5,000 rounds of Golden Tiger and have shot about 2,000 of it with no problems. It seems much cleaner than Wolf too.

My AK's, Saiga's and SKS's all prefer Barnaul. It's the most consistant and gives the best grouping.

Next in line is Golden Tiger, another really good cheap round.

After that I'd have to say is Brown Bear, followed by Wolf Mil. Classic, Wolf Polyformance, and lastly, HotShot which should have been labeled HotsteamingpileofCrapinabox.

Happy shooting.