I have been using a converted Saiga-12 small game hunting for the past two years, overall I wound fewer animals and drop them sooner.

I'm happy with it, I did have some old guy making a fuss about it... I think most of it had to do with me having my limit in hand and he was still birdless and cradling his 4000$ under over 16 Ga, had to have really bugged him to hear me hammering away the whole morning (I think I had fired 25-30 rounds in a little over an hour)

I started using reloads about mid small game season this year and started using a side by side to save my shells.. My reloaded shells are hard to find on the ground because of the soot and grime on them.

Edit: These are last years pictures... Forgot my camera at home every day of this year.

40600007-1.jpg

40600001-1.jpg

Edit2: You said you wanted a story..

About October 1st or 2nd I got out for the first time small game hunting. Had my brothers friend along who was new to hunting so he was talking a bit and walking a little loud (not a big deal).

Anyway we went through most of the morning walking and not seeing a thing, he did not have any idea what a ruffed grouse looked like so he kept asking if the blue jays and other small bird that took off where grouse. I told him "You will know the grouse when you hear it, they sound like nothing else and scare the crap out of you"..

So we walk even farther and we come across a black squirrel and I drop it with two rounds trying to only hit him in the head with his body behind the tree. Just as I pick it up to bag it a grouse jumps maybe 20 feet away, of course I have a dead squiral in my hand that I am trying to put in a bag but I still have my S-12 in my right hand, so I snap the safety off and fire one handed just point shooting first round was a little low but the recoil brought the barrel right on target and round two killed the bird instantly... Of course the two shots where so close together that the friend said "wow dropped him in one shot!!"

Ha gotta love the gun for that, I have been asked a couple of times driving out if I heard the machine gun... :P

Edited by csspecs

Pic of me with my saiga-12 with a button buck and my buddys doe. Had trouble sighting in and guys on here gave me advice on what to tweak. Since it was first time deer hunting for me i'll take it. We took both deer in an hour after getting in the stands and now they are at the locker getting processed.

post-9816-1229263873_thumb.jpg

Pic of me with my saiga-12 with a button buck and my buddys doe. Had trouble sighting in and guys on here gave me advice on what to tweak. Since it was first time deer hunting for me i'll take it. We took both deer in an hour after getting in the stands and now they are at the locker getting processed.

this is hella sick man :super:

Edited by atakacorp
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

It is great to see that Saiga's (various types) are successful as a hunting tool as well as a defense weapon.

I will be using my Saiga 12 ga as my primary weapon on a Hog Hunt in Texas early in June. 3 of us, Me, my 13 yr old grandson, and his other grandpa will make the run down as grandson gets out of school for the summer. We have a 3 day and two night stay at one of the Exotic Deer etc ranches. In the off season, the Hogs and other varmits apparently do a lot of damage to the deer and the deer-feeding areas, so the owners invite hog and varmint hunters in at a pretty reasonable price to clean out the nasty critters.

None of the three of us have Hog Hunted previously, so we are getting pretty excited about this trip. My other adult 'Paw-Paw' will be using a lever-action 44 magnum 'cowboy-gun. Grandson is using a 20 ga pump right now, but if he can handle it (after a lot of test firing, he will use a pump 12 ga we have . We will also take a 308 (bolt action) to use on the varmints we see.

I am working on getting pretty 'dead-on' with my red-dot Saiga. We had four yearling whitetails in the orchard today, and it took a lot of willpower not to give the slug-gun a chance on them. BUt I was good and stayed with some jugs and cans at 50 yards.

Do any of you have a preference for slug Brand or 'size'?? I won't be using a sabot-slug but will be shopping for a couple hundred rounds of slgs in the next few weeks. NO Buckshot Allowed in the Hunt !

Any advice or suggestions for this hunt will really be appreciated.

P S- At least I know the area from previous visits !! (Not as a Hunter) It is close to the SHINER Brewery and several of the Best of the Central Texas BBQ pits. KREUTZ Market...Blacks BBQ, Louis Muellers, and City Market are within 30 minutes of the ranch. We will eat good, that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
P S- At least I know the area from previous visits !! (Not as a Hunter) It is close to the SHINER Brewery and several of the Best of the Central Texas BBQ pits. KREUTZ Market...Blacks BBQ, Louis Muellers, and City Market are within 30 minutes of the ranch. We will eat good, that's for sure.

Im about 45 min south of Shiner. Remember, hogs aren't all that hard to kill so long as you hit them in the right place! I killed most of my hogs behind dogs with a knife, but my Winchester 44mag trapper has killed its share. If you know how to make a clean kill on a deer, a hog should be no problem. Good luck and be sure to take pics!