New Saiga Failed to Fire

Okay this is sad. I finally got the opportunity to take out my new .308 and run some ammo through it. My buddy was just as excited to see what it would do. We drove an hour out of town to one of our "secret" shooting spots.

I loaded the Saiga 8 rd. mag and began firing the first few rounds down range. To my surprise, on the third round it stopped.

I looked down at the rifle and notice the trigger felt like it was just hanging there. No pressure just an easy pull to the back position. While pointing the barrel down range I started pulling the trigger multiple times then on the fifth or sixth pull the gun fired!

This continued to the point where I would shoot a round then manually chamber the next round, chucking out the next unfired round. Then starting to process again. In essence I was shooting every other round.

Has anyone else ever experienced this type of malfunction? Any ideas of what could cause something like this? Trigger, gas system?

Thanks for any help or input!

With the cover off it is easy to catch the hammer with your thumb just as it is released.

Then you can reset it. You are just working on the trigger.

Sequence:

hammer cocked thumb on hammer

pull trigger, reset hammer, release trigger to see if it resets.

push the trigger forward if it doesn't reset

repeat until it does reset reliably.

no need to drop the hammer all the way.

dry firing is OK but you don't need it for this operation.

I would try some different ammo,that china sport stuff is jus=nk.I've got a case for 9mm and it doesnt like anything I've tried running it through.At first I thought it was the guns but once I tried something better they all fired fine.

Yep, it could be some crappy ammo and you've just been having a bunch of hang fires(weird). Have you taken the gun apart and made sure everything is in place. A better question, when you pulled the trigger and the gun FTF, did you feel the hammer slam down onto the firing pin or were you pulling the trigger and nothing happening? Well, good luck. I'm sure you'll get it figured out.

Here is an older thread with some very good info concerning the problem I was having. So if anyone else has experienced the same thing this thread may help. Get past some of the troll postings because gunnysmith really supplies some good pics and info (on 2nd pg.) here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...30257&st=30

Edited by Hangfire13

a lot of us use really cheap ammo, but berdan primed stuff isn't that bad, did you check your unfired rounds for any firing pin markings? as far as dry firing in your manual you got with your saiga it says do not, but i don't see any real fault with it.....

a lot of us use really cheap ammo, but berdan primed stuff isn't that bad, did you check your unfired rounds for any firing pin markings? as far as dry firing in your manual you got with your saiga it says do not, but i don't see any real fault with it.....

Yeah I checked for firing pin marks and didn't find any. I'm going to relocate my trigger and buff out any moving parts that look suspect. I'm sure it's an easy fix once I locate the problem.

The older thread that addressed the same problem has some really good pics and info.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...30257&st=30

Edited by Hangfire13