Does anybody know if it is legal to carry a handgun in plain sight in Pennsylvania? I posted a thread in the handgun forum about this (the full story) but I thought I might get more answers here. It seems like every website has a different answer about this. And my state laws dont seem to be accesable. Unless ofcourse I wanted to pay $200 for the "copywrited" book of PA laws, regs and statuates. :evil:

Nope, unless you are transporting to you vehicle, hunting or shooting (I think shooting a BG would fall into that). You would be charged with "brandishing a firearm" if you carried openly. To your vehicle means like from your car to a dwelling or range or the reverse.

From the "educateusa" website on PA gunlaws.

"Pennsylvania has a preemption act which prevents localities from regulating the carry, possession and purchase of firearms. While open carry of a firearm on foot is permissible in rural areas, travelers should be aware that first class cities such as Philadelphia have special regulations passed by the legislature which only affect them. For example, open carry of any firearm is prohibited in the public areas of the city. Travelers to gun shows should be mindful of this regulation."

<<<edit>>> From a web blog cut and pasted unknown origin. Topic was about the Philadelphia Inquirer running a story on Virginia's open carry regs.

"Virginia - like 36 other states, including Pennsylvania - has a law that requires local courts to issue permits to all nonfelons who want to carry concealed handguns. But the state requires no permit to visibly carry a handgun."

The list goes on and on. But there is no ACTUAL reg. or written word "offically" to back it up that I have been able to find.

Edited by pistonring8

Seems to contradict itself. Localities amy not pass regulations, but Phili and Pittsburg both did. I wonder if the laws have ever been challenged in court. I am sure the ACLU will ignore this infringment. I may write to the Attorny Genreal and ask for clarification, but Since Rendell hates handguns I am betting the reply will be as contradictory as the laws. I guess it is worth a try. I will include quotes in my letter from the place you mentioned, packing.org and a few others to see if I can get a real reply.

From packing.org:

(a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

the law:

http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA6106.html

I have to assume that "about his person" means "carrying a firearm."