S12 optic rail options

I would like to throw an EOTech on my Saiga so I have been looking into mounting options. I am most interested in getting a rail above the dust cover but low profile enough I don't have to screw with the ergonomics of the platform.

I have seen some mounted on quad rails or other forward mounted rails, but it seems that the optic loses some of its value by being mounted so far forward. I would love to hear some feedback from people who have no zoom optics mounted on their Saigas. Especially people who have optics mounted in front of the receiver. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

So far I have seen these types, the pros and cons are from my perspective for my purposes.

Quad rails - http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=27823

Pros- versitile, solid mounting point

Cons- optic must be mounted in front of receiver, heavy

UltiMAK rail - http://www.ultimak.com/M11-s.htm

Pros- solid mounting point

Cons- optic must be mounted in front of receiver

Barrel mounted optics - http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=22174

Cons- Optic must be mounted way out on barrel

POSP side mounted style - http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=39

Pro - mounts back far enough to utilize the fov of an eotech

con- mount is too high above reciever to maintain cheek weld without specialized stock.

Over the dust cover rail - http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/beta/storeproduct714.aspx

Pro- positioning seems perfect, supposedly easy to mount

Cons- I have heard no feedback for how well they work. My initial guess is that they wouldn't hold a zero as well as other mounts, and also you may have to remove it to clean your gun. If you had to remove it to clean your gun, then how well would it re-zero once re-attached?

Edited by prexigrass

The Saiga I use has a factory made rail mounted hinged receiver cover which is probably closest to the bottom of your list of options from Atlantic Firearms.

My Eotech has to be mounted as far to the rear of the rail as possible otherwise it causes failures to eject. The spent cases don't impinge on the Eotech itself but its placement seems to upset the recoil mechanism enough to cause the case to hang up as it clears the receiver's ejection port.

I am going to play around it some more this weekend hopefully as the last time the Eotech stop functioning which has never done when mounted on my Benelli Nova. I have a feeling that the rail mount I have is too punishing.

Forward mounted optics are the way to go with the type you have.

There is another option....

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=31709

Advantages over Ultimak's rail...

1. It allows better cooling of the gas tube.

2. It can be made to order so it can fit those newer S-12s with the staked front sight.

3. Mine has a built in sighting system for use without an optic (if your optic were to fail during a competition or something)

4. I can even make them where you can see your elevated front sight if you were to get a set of Krebs or Dinzag's....or in your case you may have a factory elevated front sight?

Judging from the fact that you have the hinged dustcover, I'm assuming you are overseas and have a Vepr 12 or an EXP 01 30?

I have no problem shipping over there if your import laws will allow.

Forward mounted optics are the way to go with the type you have.

Judging from the fact that you have the hinged dustcover, I'm assuming you are overseas and have a Vepr 12 or an EXP 01 30?

I have no problem shipping over there if your import laws will allow.

I don't have a hinged dustcover, Its just the plain jane 19"that everyone else here in the states is getting right now.

The questions I want answered the most are whether an over the dust cover rail is a good choice, and how much of a difference does it make to mount an eotech further up on the gun rather right over the reciever?

The Eotech is more of a both eyes open sight like your standard red dot scope....only way better quality...

These type of optics IMO are better mounted up front where you can throw it up there quick and see your target with both eyes open. It's not like a magnified scope that you take your time getting a good cheek weld and carefully focusing through.

Over the dustcover rails all pretty much suck except for the Beryl rail and the others that mount via hinge.

If it's going to be low like you want it, it has to be part of the dustcover itself, and most all the ones I've seen like that are junk. Blackthorn used to make one that was ok, but still you have some movement in the dustcover because of the design. I have a Blackthorn railed dustcover on one of my guns and let me tell you, it was a bitch to adapt to the S-12. The cheesy chinese ones you see, don't waste your time on them. They would also have to be adapted to the S-12. I had one on my Maadi once and it lasted for about 25 rds, then the "steel" tore just below the recoil spring button and launched the POS right off the gun and into my buddy's forhead. Not good. Don't even waste your time or money on those.

The siderail mounted rails are good but sit up just a tad.

IMO you need a forward mounted Eotech. And that ain't just because I sell rails either. It's what I see most people using.