SBS and the AWB

Hey Bob I consider you and Tony to be pretty savvy and knowledgeable guys when it comes to guns, common sense, and how to have a good ol time but I have a serious question that you may or may not want to address, as we all know the left liberal anti's are just about ready to soil their pretty pink panties over the coming Obama coronation and the inevitable AWB that will without question follow, my question is this , what is YOUR OPINION as to how long we might have until the libitards get up enough momentum to actually get the damn thing passed into law ?

Myself I give it about 6 months before his majesty the O is able to dig his way outta the mess he is gonna get dropped in his lap with the economy, the war, and the general shit sandwich that the world situation has become (that's 6 months just to get his presidential agenda pulled together and ready to act). Now I could be all FUBAR on this but like I said I would like your perspective on this unfortunate situation. If you don't really feel comfortably sharing your thoughts on the matter I understand and thank you for your service to the Saiga community.

Edited by gmorgan

I think it will happen pretty damn quick. The democrats have the seats/votes to do it, so why not? All the other problems are big and tough to fix. Getting an AWB passed is the easy shit. Then Obama can "show" how he can actually get something done in short order. The other crap will take a lot of time and effort compared to the AWB.

Even if Obama doesn't push for it, some other liberal twit will get it going anyway and Obama sure as hell won't veto it when it hits his desk.

Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Tony

I read that Gabe Suarez said he doesn't expect it to come until the 3rd year, but I think Tony's assessment is solid. The new AWB is already written and B.O. won't need to actually be involved in passing it, other to praise it's effectiveness and take the credit.

I fear it will come sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the kind words, gmorgan.

I agree that they will do it FAST, for this reason:

Last time, they did it a couple months before the election. The republicans took over both houses for the first time in a long time. This time they won't be so stupid. They'll do it and put it behind them as fast as possible, let things cool down, stack the cards so BO has a popular first term, and then push for something worse in term 2 using this as a precedent.

BUT we have one thing in our favor that we didn't in '94 - the internet. We can keep up to date and keep each other informed like we couldn't before. Hopefully it will get people motivated enough to vote the Dems out in the mid-term, and put more pro-freedom governors in place.

Question - the NFA was challenged on the basis of the 2nd Amendment, and upheld because it wasn't a prohibition but a taxation. Was the 1994 AW Ban ever challenged in court on 2nd Amendment grounds? If not, it was probably due to the expiration. I could possibly imagine a coalition of states challenging a future AW ban on 2nd Amendment grounds. They could even argue that it restricts their ability to have a militia for homeland security, since many states define the citizenry as the unorganized militia.

Since during the AWB the NFA weapons could have the "evil" features, such as threaded barrels, flash hiders, bayonet lugs, etc., It would be supposed that in any future AWB this would also apply.

The nature of any NFA weapon is that it is registered as such, and therefore outside the purview of the everyday general firearm.

BRG3 SIGHTING!!!!1111ONE

I agree that they will do it FAST, for this reason:

Last time, they did it a couple months before the election. The republicans took over both houses for the first time in a long time. This time they won't be so stupid. They'll do it and put it behind them as fast as possible, let things cool down, stack the cards so BO has a popular first term, and then push for something worse in term 2 using this as a precedent.

BUT we have one thing in our favor that we didn't in '94 - the internet. We can keep up to date and keep each other informed like we couldn't before. Hopefully it will get people motivated enough to vote the Dems out in the mid-term, and put more pro-freedom governors in place.

Question - the NFA was challenged on the basis of the 2nd Amendment, and upheld because it wasn't a prohibition but a taxation. Was the 1994 AW Ban ever challenged in court on 2nd Amendment grounds? If not, it was probably due to the expiration. I could possibly imagine a coalition of states challenging a future AW ban on 2nd Amendment grounds. They could even argue that it restricts their ability to have a militia for homeland security, since many states define the citizenry as the unorganized militia.

My friend, you are as eloquent as you are accurate.

Since during the AWB the NFA weapons could have the "evil" features, such as threaded barrels, flash hiders, bayonet lugs, etc., It would be supposed that in any future AWB this would also apply.

The nature of any NFA weapon is that it is registered as such, and therefore outside the purview of the everyday general firearm.

This is also correct.

Actually NFA guns were NOT exempted from the AWB.

Only if they were purchased manufactured after a ban went into effect. Right now the point is moot as there is no Federal Ban (disregarding state laws), so if you already have the gun and it's in an 'Assault Weapon' configuration (ie pistol grip) you can SBS it no problem if a new ban comes into effect.

Edited by Tacticool
You guys are mixing pre and post AWB guns. You're not on the same page.

Bob is talking about SBS' made prior to the AWB and Rich is talking about SBS' made after the AWB.

Tony

Thats correct. When the AWB was in effect, newly manufactured NFA guns were not exempt from the AWB. You can usually rely on the BATFE to interpret the law in the narrowest, most punitive way possible.