New to reloading-Need a reloading bench?

I have been using a reloading bench that I purchased from Harbor Freight at a very cheap price and then modified it somewhat to fit my situation. However, it isn't very sturdy-wobbles when you shake it. I have purchased a used Lee Loadmaster which will be here in a week. One of the requirements was that the work bench be steady and solid-that disqualified my bench right away. So I went to Home Deport just to look around and what to my surprise found the Workbench by Keystone for $79.95. It requires no tools for assembly. It is 5' long, 2' wide, and 36" high-all wood. It is a little narrower than I liked but figured I could bolt a wider top to the top of it. Here is the link to the bench if any of you are interested: http://www.ufpi.com/product/keystonebench/about.htm.

I made my own bench, it is wedged against the foundation of my house on three sides, and is nailed to the frame of the floor above. There is some torque involved in reloading. I figure if you have a problem with that one moving, keep a foot on it when you press down, or put some sandbags on the lower shelf. Looks good though.

Twinsen,

Thanks for your comments. I could have built my own but I am not much of a hand at carpentry and most of what I attempt to build looks like a piece of cr*p when I finish-nothing to be proud of for sure. Anyway I plan on bolting this one to the wall to keep it steady and from moving.

I made my own bench, it is wedged against the foundation of my house on three sides, and is nailed to the frame of the floor above. There is some torque involved in reloading. I figure if you have a problem with that one moving, keep a foot on it when you press down, or put some sandbags on the lower shelf. Looks good though.

I have a Lee Loadmaster and would definitely recommend bolting/screwing your bench to the wall. I sometimes reload with the single stage lee press on a very small movable bench that would wobble it was not much of an issue, but with the Lee Loadmaster turret press it needs to be mounted sturdy, solid, and square/level. They are great presses, but as with anything that has moving parts, the more moving parts you have the more things can get out of whack.

What calibers are you planning on loading? On the strait walled pistol calibers I like to run it as the turret press (size, prime, charge, seat, & crimp all together), it can really crank out the rounds, but for rifle calibers I prefer using it as a single/double press. For riffle, 308win, 270win; I prefer to resize and prime all the brass, using the two stages. Then verify case specs and charge case by hand. Then I go back to the press and seat bullet and crimp on the turret. I don't know if this is a must, but on high pressure rounds I'd rather take extra time to remain safe with good quality control.

I hope this helps!

That is SWEET! Cost of materials to build it would almost equal the cost, and saves a day of construction time. Good find.

If your going to add a top, let it overhang a little on the front. Some of my presses the linkages travel under the top and I cannot mount them flush. Double up some 3/4 plywood, use lots of glue and bolts, that thing would be SOLID! Now if I can just get the wife to let me get rid of the washing machine so I can have room for it.....

edit to add: Well maybe I could move the washer and get rid of the dryer. After all, I do have plenty of para cord, should be able to rig up a clothesline in the garage...ya think?

I wonder what dryers are going for on craigslist

Edited by HillBilly2

Thanks for all of your comments. I got it assembled (in 5 minutes) and set up yesterday. I was able to secure it to the studs in the wall with three 4" screws and now it is solid as a rock-won't budge. Here are some photos of the bench and shelves I put up above it. At this point I haven't put on the top that I talked about. For my Lee Classic Single Stage and Lee Classic Turret I mounted them on 2" X 12" and then clamped them to the bench using 6" clamps. Will I be able to do this for the Loadmaster or will the Loadmaster need to be mounted to the bench itself? Intitially I will be using it to reload 9mm for IDPA and later will also probably add .45ACP.

post-9969-1229175113_thumb.jpgpost-9969-1229175122_thumb.jpgpost-9969-1229175132_thumb.jpg

Edited by The_Vigilante
Thanks for all of your comments. I got it assembled (in 5 minutes) and set up yesterday. I was able to secure it to the studs in the wall with three 4" screws and now it is solid as a rock-won't budge. Here are some photos of the bench and shelves I put up above it. At this point I haven't put on the top that I talked about. For my Lee Classic Single Stage and Lee Classic Turret I mounted them on 2" X 12" and then clamped them to the bench using 6" clamps. Will I be able to do this for the Loadmaster or will the Loadmaster need to be mounted to the bench itself? Intitially I will be using it to reload 9mm for IDPA and later will also probably add .45ACP.

post-9969-1229175113_thumb.jpgpost-9969-1229175122_thumb.jpgpost-9969-1229175132_thumb.jpg

good set up, it is important to be organized and clutter-free, especially the mind. stay focused. I make sure to turn off any radios & t.v.'s. It is surprising how that alone forces you to focus better.

I want to share a technique I developed that find very useful.....I picked up an inexpense digital scale on ebay...it was less than $20, weights grams,grains,oz's. What is nice is the "tare" feature.

I pour a quanity of powder in a powder cup, then "tare" it to "zero". Then using a appropriate sized lee powder measure, I scoop the desired amount of powder until the scale reads -7 grains for example, load, then "tare" again to "zero", scoop, and load. repeat as needed :)

makes for fast AND accurate work!