Tapco T6 Stockset + Surefire Mags=Compliant?

Is that the case for a converted Saiga .223 or would it apply as well to unconverted? This can get confusing, even looking at the conversion data.

Converted or unconverted, it's the number of foreign listed parts that matter. (922 would not apply to the unconverted w/factory stock, unless you use magazines holding more than ten rounds). One you add a pistol grip (like the T6 stock you mention) 922 applies regardless of magazine capacity.

So, if you add the T6 stock you'll be O.K. as long as you use only U.S. made magazines, but not with any foreign magazine (of any capacity, including the one that came with the rifle).

If you want to use foreign mags, and have a pistol grip, you are far better off doing the full conversion.

If you decide to go with the T6 w/o converting, you might want to get rid of your foreign magazine(s) and just keep U.S. made ones (just to keep it simple).

These are the two parts I was thinking of ordering. Is there any modifying needed to put these on? What will I be missing to make it more like an AK?

That's what I did with mine. Screws right in, no gunsmithing. That is the good part - if you ever want/need to return to stock config, you can easily do that.

To get more of the true AK look, you can change out the handguard - that is also good for another compliance part if you use US hardware. I used Tapco's Galil style handguard with retainer. The Galil handguard exposes the gas tube in true AK fashion. With the T6 on it will never look exactly like a "real" AK, but it has a eye-pleasing look of its own IMO. Changing the handguard to expose the tube really brings out the AK in it. The nice part about the T6 is the 6 detent positions - makes it easy to get a good fit.

• 2 weeks later...
These are the two parts I was thinking of ordering. Is there any modifying needed to put these on? What will I be missing to make it more like an AK?

That's what I did with mine. Screws right in, no gunsmithing. That is the good part - if you ever want/need to return to stock config, you can easily do that.

To get more of the true AK look, you can change out the handguard - that is also good for another compliance part if you use US hardware. I used Tapco's Galil style handguard with retainer. The Galil handguard exposes the gas tube in true AK fashion. With the T6 on it will never look exactly like a "real" AK, but it has a eye-pleasing look of its own IMO. Changing the handguard to expose the tube really brings out the AK in it. The nice part about the T6 is the 6 detent positions - makes it easy to get a good fit.

just the answer i was looking for...thx