WTF sighting my saiga 12

So i'm at the range to sight in my S-12 at 100 meters and every round is 6 to 8 inches to the right. I shot a variety of 2 3/4 slugs from different manufactures and no difference. I'm using the stock sights now but i'm thinking i need to PM cobra and get one of his rails to install and put a red dot scope on. This sucks because i was going to use it saturday for second season deer here in iowa. Is this common or am i the only one?

post-9816-1229050935.jpg

Remember who assembles these things, most likely the front gas/site block is on a little crooked. Its been posted here before.you may be able to get it close by tapping it with a non-maring hammer, plastic or hard rubber. Or use a hammer and a block of wood. I think it just needs to move a couple of sixteenths to get you on target. Or just aim to the left more.

Just aim to the left 7 inches at 100 yards or 3.5 inches at 50. If I was behind the gun.....the deer would still get hit. Trust me.

But....when you have time, move the gas block/sight.

Tony

I'll hit the deer if nothing else i'll slap in mike's 20rd drum and walk them in. lol

Thanks guys for the info i'll try the gas block/sight with a rubber mallet gently and try again friday before 2nd season saturday.

You got a 109 right? Maybe yours was just sighted in after happy hour at the Izmash factory is all.

Forget your sight blocks for now and try taking a hammer and a brass punch and drift the rear sight over a little in the dovetail. 8" in 100m may not take much. There is a reference peen on mine that can be used for a guide. You will want to move the V notch over to the right (safety selector) side.

You got a 109 right? Maybe yours was just sighted in after happy hour at the Izmash factory is all.

Forget your sight blocks for now and try taking a hammer and a brass punch and drift the rear sight over a little in the dovetail. 8" in 100m may not take much. There is a reference peen on mine that can be used for a guide. You will want to move the V notch over to the right (safety selector) side.

Don't you got that backward? I thought it was move the front sight the way its off, move the rear the way you want it to move.

Don't you got that backward? I thought it was move the front sight the way its off, move the rear the way you want it to move.

I finally decided to forget about trying to remember all that, which way goes where to do what. Too easy to get it mixed up.

The front bead here is fixed. Nothing to change there.

Best to exaggerate the change. Shoulder the shotgun. Make a peace sign V with your fingers and hold it to the right side of the rear notch. Make believe this is now your new rear sight. Now line up your new sight to the front like you're normally taking aim. While you're doing this visualize the change in bullet impact.

I finally decided to forget about trying to remember all that, which way goes where to do what. Too easy to get it mixed up.

The front bead here is fixed. Nothing to change there.

Best to exaggerate the change. Shoulder the shotgun. Make a peace sign V with your fingers and hold it to the right side of the rear notch. Make believe this is now your new rear sight. Now line up your new sight to the front like you're normally taking aim. While you're doing this visualize the change in bullet impact.

And your visualizions tell you ???

And your visualizions tell you ???

Rear sight must move right. :google:

With a stock 109 the barrel direction and line of sight will both pivot at one point. The front bead. Surely some student taking trig right now could chime in with exactly how far the rear sight needs to move. I'm too lazy to figure it out. :)

Of course the shooter will want to consider the effect of crosswinds on the day he got his groups to the left, before making changes.

Edited by Thor's Hammer

(distance between sights in inches)/3600=N1

N1 x (number of inches you were off)=Approximate distance to move your rear sight (in inches), it won't be much at all. If you want the measurement in MM just multiply it by 25.4

Trial and error will probably do, though.

Edited by bigj480