Tapco Magazines

I recently ordered some mags from IOINC.com. It was the deal with four thermold mags and a pouch, I bought two sets(8 mags). I ordered one of the same set before, so I figured it was okay to do it again. I place my order on Nov. 8th, and just got them in last wednesday. No biggie. I was told by an employee that they had to re-stock on the mags, but I figured as much considering the recent election results.

The thermolds I ordered months ago had a slight problem when I ran 1200-ish rounds through my converted Saiga, where the 2nd to last round would fail to feed into the chamber. Always the 2nd to last round. I'm not too worried about it, as I don't have a bullet guide yet. It happened five or six times during my 1200rd shooting session.

I finally get a look at the package today and the mags are Tapco's.

Do Tapco's still count for 3 US parts like the Thermolds? I'm compliant either way because my FCG and Ace stock are US made. Just curious.

Did I get screwed?

Should I return the Tapco's and demand the Thermolds I was supposed to get?

Nobody has used these mags? I find that very hard to believe.

After a quick glance and test fit, the Tapco's need the release lever catch to be trimmed just like the Thermolds. The Tapco's are also wider where the mag inserts into the receiver, and they might need some work in order to get them to fit properly. It's not real hard to get them in, but in a serious situation it may just cost someone dearly.

They are nice looking mags & yes, they count as 3 USA parts :Tapco Ak-47 30 Rd mags

I have an unconverted x39 & I use the master molder 30's, just by filing the rear mag catch a bit. These look alot better to me...thinking about ordering some....anyone fired one yet?

Edit: Well, I guess I'll have to be the guinea pig, since no one has used them it seems....I'll let you know how they fit/fire...prob just a bit of shaving work to get them to lock in first

Edited by BullShark012

I've used them in my Saiga. No problems, but I've since found a good deal on some Yugo mags that hold the bolt open when the load is spent, so I really don't use them anymore. Ive got 2x dark green colored mags let me know if you want them, Id be happy to trade for 3 surplus steel mags in good condition. Tapco makes a good product, but they are ugly as all hell.

I've used them in my Saiga. No problems, but I've since found a good deal on some Yugo mags that hold the bolt open when the load is spent, so I really don't use them anymore. Ive got 2x dark green colored mags let me know if you want them, Id be happy to trade for 3 surplus steel mags in good condition. Tapco makes a good product, but they are ugly as all hell.

I ordered one to see if I can make it work in my unmodded x39 - i'm hoping it will feed w/o a bullet guide like the Master Moulders do, with just a bit of filing - will let ya'll know.

I think they look pretty cool actually, that's why i got one to try. I read somewhere they are super tough - like they ran them over with a tank or something and they still worked. Guess I'll find out... Sorry I don't have any steel mags to trade you.

I ordered one to see if I can make it work in my unmodded x39 - i'm hoping it will feed w/o a bullet guide like the Master Moulders do, with just a bit of filing - will let ya'll know.

I think they look pretty cool actually, that's why i got one to try. I read somewhere they are super tough - like they ran them over with a tank or something and they still worked. Guess I'll find out... Sorry I don't have any steel mags to trade you.

To each his own bro! I like the look of the steel mags. The Tapco ones just look over-engineered. But they work well for magazines that don't have a BHO feature. Good Luck.

I have been using the Tapco mags for a few months now and they have been working great, but I do have a bullet guide so I don't know if it would work with out one. Following the tutorial here it only took about 30 to 40 minutes to make a bullet guide and install it.

Just from comparing the front of the mags(Tapco vs Thermold), I don't think the Tapco's will feed without a bullet guide. The front of the mag where the round comes out is visibly deeper than the Thermold.

Well, you're right, the front mag lip is not flush like the MM's (thermold). Thus, they do not feed properly w/o a bullet guide - I'm gonna mod it a bit w/ epoxy & make it work (just don't want to add a guide to mine). They snap in just fine after you dremel down the underside of the rear catch just like the Master Moulder's. These are Much tougher than the MM's - you can't phase it w/ a knife like i do on them - you'll need a dremel to shave off the material on these. I'll find out if my fix works later today after the epoxy cures - will upate & let ya'll know...

Edit: Well, Success! Feeds & Cycles fine - tested it w/ Holow Points, no prob. Here a cpl. pics - I just held the mag follower down w/ a socket, taped in a piece of rubber from an inner tube to prevent overflow into the mag & sanded it down about flush with the top surface of the front lip. Next I'll test it at the range...hope it holds up!

post-7063-1230058507_thumb.jpg

post-7063-1230058522_thumb.jpg

Edited by BullShark012