Krebs Hammer/Trigger Retaning Plate

Hi guys. I recently bought a Saiga12 and it does have the factory installed manual BHO. I ordered one of these Krebs retainers, and I have receive it...

0) I would really like to understand WHAT THE HELL THIS DOES - what is the point to this part?

1) I'd love to know how to install this thing the "right" way! any help?

in light of question zero, I don't want to sound like an idiot, but the reason I bought it is because before I test-fired and broke this thing in, reassembly was a bitch and the part description from MIdway makes it sound like it addresses this..

NOW THAT I HAVE THE PART:

I'm pissed it doesn't even have a text installation manual... WTF!

I'd like to understand what it actually does, what does it alter?

It replaces the wire retainer that holds the fire control group pins. It goes on the left side. Did you take your fire control group out? the front slot slides into the most forward pin, then drops down onto the second pin and is held in place by the safety selector. I bet your most difficult par was getting the bolt hold open in.

check this out

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=29971

Kinda answers my question - let me ask it better: IT IS REALLY WORTH FUCKING WITH THIS??

I still don't have instructions - is there anything special to know about putting the part back in the action?

It replaces the wire retainer that holds the fire control group pins. It goes on the left side. Did you take your fire control group out? the front slot slides into the most forward pin, then drops down onto the second pin and is held in place by the safety selector. I bet your most difficult par was getting the bolt hold open in.

check this out

Kinda answers my question - let me ask it better: IT IS REALLY WORTH FUCKING WITH THIS??

I still don't have instructions - is there anything special to know about putting the part back in the action?

check this out

First question is your S12 converted?

0) I would really like to understand WHAT THE HELL THIS DOES - what is the point to this part?

The plate replaces the shepherds crook retaining wire and prevents the hammer and trigger pins from walking out. If either of these pins walks out, your shotgun will not function.

Reassemble all the "innards" but leave the safety out. Then push the semi-circular notch at the front of the retaining plate onto the hammer pin. It's easier to do this if you pry the hammer spring away from the side of the receiver. Once the front of the retainer plate is firmly engaged with the hammer pin, rotate the plate down until its bottom semi-circular notch engages the trigger pin. Finally, insert the safety through the hole at the back of the retaining plate.

I find it makes reassembly much easier.

Be aware that Krebs makes two kinds of retainer plates and they ARE NOT interchangeable. One is for rifles. The other is for the shotgun.

not converted. not worth it, bein in ny...

check this out

Steve- I have a question, but please first check the following link:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...l%3Den%26sa%3DN

I'd like to know if I follow these instructions up to the part of removing the shepherds hook and safety latch, can I at that point simply install the retainer-part, and put it back together without further dissasembly?? is that possible?

The plate replaces the shepherds crook retaining wire and prevents the hammer and trigger pins from walking out. If either of these pins walks out, your shotgun will not function.

Reassemble all the "innards" but leave the safety out. Then push the semi-circular notch at the front of the retaining plate onto the hammer pin. It's easier to do this if you pry the hammer spring away from the side of the receiver. Once the front of the retainer plate is firmly engaged with the hammer pin, rotate the plate down until its bottom semi-circular notch engages the trigger pin. Finally, insert the safety through the hole at the back of the retaining plate.

I find it makes reassembly much easier.

Be aware that Krebs makes two kinds of retainer plates and they ARE NOT interchangeable. One is for rifles. The other is for the shotgun.

I like the retainer plate, I think it's easier than the spring. The BHO spring can be a pain. Mine have been shortened with a bit of a kink to latch onto the hold open plate. Makes grabbing it slightly easier. The BHO plates were also notched a tad to allow the safety lever some room.

You don't need it if not converted. Kreb's shipping cost for them is a top notch punch in the face though.

....You don't need it if not converted. Kreb's shipping cost for them is a top notch punch in the face though.

Nah, the actually shipped mine parcel post. It was not as much as the site said it would be. I think that it is a very worthwhile part and other then retaining to the factory spring system, the only secure way of retaining the FCG. The E-clips that some folks advocate have always failed foe me!

not converted. not worth it, bein in ny...

check this out

How often do you plan to take your FCG out of the gun?

I'm glad there's a couple that do. So far out of 240 rounds, I had only one FTE caused by one of the shit-ass "Estate" slugs - they are dirty as sludge compared to the KO Brenekkes (which are dirty enough, but GOOD) and the RIO's are actually also good cheap slugs. Being that 239 of them fired perfectly and the action is running smoother than ever, I think I"m going to leave alone for now.

I also have heard no definitive answers on legality on changing parts here. While it may seem irrelevant, the last thing I wanna do is fuck that up, especially in NY, on some little minor part. I'd like to understand if conversion HELPS with NY compliancy or HURTS it... or, perhaps makes no difference at all. The way the law puts it, they just refer to "mag fed shotgun" I don't know if there is a prior-mentioned distinction about whether it's domestic or import etc...

I'd love to know some more about the above, if anyone is well versed in 922r and how it works/overlaps in NY...

You don't need it if not converted.

I agree.

I'm glad there's a couple that do. So far out of 240 rounds, I had only one FTE caused by one of the shit-ass "Estate" slugs - they are dirty as sludge compared to the KO Brenekkes (which are dirty enough, but GOOD) and the RIO's are actually also good cheap slugs. Being that 239 of them fired perfectly and the action is running smoother than ever, I think I"m going to leave alone for now.

I also have heard no definitive answers on legality on changing parts here. While it may seem irrelevant, the last thing I wanna do is fuck that up, especially in NY, on some little minor part. I'd like to understand if conversion HELPS with NY compliancy or HURTS it... or, perhaps makes no difference at all. The way the law puts it, they just refer to "mag fed shotgun" I don't know if there is a prior-mentioned distinction about whether it's domestic or import etc...

I'd love to know some more about the above, if anyone is well versed in 922r and how it works/overlaps in NY...

You don't need it if not converted.

I agree.

I don't know jack about NY laws, but as far as 922 goes, if your gun is just like it came out of the box and your using factory 5 rd mags your OK. IF you add a pistol grip, or use a magazine with a capacity greater than 5 rds, or add any of the other "bad" items from the 922 list then your not compliant. In that case you'll need to replace enough parts to get compliant. Someone knowledgable on NY laws can add anything specific for NY.

I'd like to know if I follow these instructions up to the part of removing the shepherds hook and safety latch, can I at that point simply install the retainer-part, and put it back together without further dissasembly?? is that possible?

Nice little assembly/reassemby AK site.

As to your question, the short answer is no you cannot simply insert the Krebs retainer plate at this point in the operation becuase the Krebs plate is held in position by the safety/selector lever. As near as I can tell, you must modify the BHO as described here to allow the insertion of the safety/selector lever after the BHO is installed.

Bottom line is, you can leave the shotgun bone stock or you can add the Krebs retainer plate. If you add the Krebs retainer plate, you can either leave the BHO out of the gun or modify the BHO so you can easily reassemble the safety who holds the Krebs retainer in place.

Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing. FWIW my personal choice for all my Siaga conversions (rifle and shotgun) is the retainer plate.

Nice little assembly/reassemby AK site.

As to your question, the short answer is no you cannot simply insert the Krebs retainer plate at this point in the operation becuase the Krebs plate is held in position by the safety/selector lever. As near as I can tell, you must modify the BHO as described here to allow the insertion of the safety/selector lever after the BHO is installed.

Bottom line is, you can leave the shotgun bone stock or you can add the Krebs retainer plate. If you add the Krebs retainer plate, you can either leave the BHO out of the gun or modify the BHO so you can easily reassemble the safety who holds the Krebs retainer in place.

Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing. FWIW my personal choice for all my Siaga conversions (rifle and shotgun) is the retainer plate.

I think the Tromix shepards crook will be a lot easier to install with out the BHO modification.

I have built qute a few S12 conversions and that is what I use. I think they cost 2 or 3 bucks.

I do like the BHO mod and it is worth doing.

I have only used the plate style retainer on an AK build and they do not have a BHO.

FWIW