Kalashnikov USA Import

It is an early 108. My two newer S12s start H07242XXXX But the IZ108 starts 004005XX . . . no "H" before the Ser#

Now the conundrum.... I have 3 S12s.... do I sell one? And if so, which? It's cool having the 108 and a KUSA import.... Since it's a 108, low #, and has the rib sight unlike my converted 109 which is everything else, new, pistol sight, etc. . . .

Decisions decisions...

Edited by SaigaNoobie
  • 1 month later...

Hi All-

I just picked up my first Saiga-12. Like SaigaNoobie, my appears to be an early IZ108 as well. Based on the serial number I think mine is even earlier. It appears to be NIB and has all of the documentation and the facotry mag is still wrapped in the brown paper. Oh yeah...the price was nice as well....:)

I haven't shot it yet, but unlike what others have reported, the stock seems very secure. Given the barrel, I'm not sure it makes sense to do a significant conversion. I was just thinking pistol grip, stock, and trigger, but not sure if that really makes sense. Does anyone think that there will be a market for unmolested older IZ108s?

Aside from the 922r issues, will the AGP or Surefire mags work in this model?

Thanks for having such a great forum!

Given the barrel, I'm not sure it makes sense to do a significant conversion.

Not sure what you mean by this.

I was just thinking pistol grip, stock, and trigger, but not sure if that really makes sense. Does anyone think that there will be a market for unmolested older IZ108s?

After the AWB, converted guns will double in value whereas unconverted guns will not. The unconverted Saiga is actually more "molested" than the converted model, imo. The converted gun is closer to the original Russian gun in form and function.

Aside from the 922r issues, will the AGP or Surefire mags work in this model?

Yeah they work but it would be illegal to do so.

Edited by BobAsh
why would it be illegal? If the IZ-108 has only 13 counted parts for 922r, then wouldn't adding a USA made mag bring the total parts-count down to 10, therefore being legal still?

SaigaNoobie and I have discussed this. I was lucky enough to buy this S-12, and am very happy with the deal. A hi-cap mag should be OK in this instance, because the barrel is not threaded on this Kalashnikov USA S-12. We are doing the conversion early next month. I am going to get the 22" barrel cut down to 18.25" and have it threaded for internal chokes.