Are Saiga's considered clones?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd like to thank the 12 idiots who voted yes for helping give the brady campaign one more reason to try and ban this firearm.

There is only (1) authentic AK-47. After the first finished working firearm was produced then all subsequent AK-47s, AKMs, and variants are nothing more than clones or copies. Semantics, perspective..

Just begun this clone war has!!

Posted Images

Here's my feeling on whether Saiga rifles should be considered clones. No, they are made with Russian AK series fully automatic weapons on the same assembly line. They are Russian made.

What's a clone?A Hungarian or Bulgarian fully automatic assault rifle is still a clone by people who think a russian gun is the only authentic article.MY Saigas aren't full auto and didn't come with all of the goodies but the barrels,bolts,carriers,springs,ect come off of the Izhmash AK100 assembly line and after adding AK100 furniture to it all I am missing are the receiver dimples and theoretically the commerical receiver blanks are stronger since they were designed to handle 308 and 12ga.

Clone/Shmone I'd take my Saiga built on modern machinery with it's higher level of accuracy and consistency over the Original Milled AK47 for anything but collector value so it's all about perspective isn't it?

Here's my feeling on whether Saiga rifles should be considered clones. No, they are made with Russian AK series fully automatic weapons on the same assembly line. They are Russian made.

What's a clone?A Hungarian or Bulgarian fully automatic assault rifle is still a clone by people who think a russian gun is the only authentic article.MY Saigas aren't full auto and didn't come with all of the goodies but the barrels,bolts,carriers,springs,ect come off of the Izhmash AK100 assembly line and after adding AK100 furniture to it all I am missing are the receiver dimples and theoretically the commerical receiver blanks are stronger since they were designed to handle 308 and 12ga.

Clone/Shmone I'd take my Saiga built on modern machinery with it's higher level of accuracy and consistency over the Original Milled AK47 for anything but collector value so it's all about perspective isn't it?

very well put, I couldn't agree more

If my understanding is correct, weren't the first AK's milled as opposed to stamped?

I see where you're coming from but AK47s are not the only Kalashnikov(AKM,AKMS,AK74) and they have been considered OBSOLETE by the Russian military since 1959.

Saying a milled Russian AK47 was the only REAL Kalashnikov would be like saying a Model T was the only REAL Ford,LOL

• Like 1
variant yes, clone no.

That. With my thinking a galil or a valmet would be a clone, everything that's completely AK (interchangeable parts) an AMD-65 or a SAR a variant. Especially if said AK variant is license built. IMO when the russia tells a country "yeah you can build AKs", that's not a clone.

Edited by Agias
  • 1 month later...

Siaga IS an AK, not a clone. It is a "civilized" variant to keep it importable. My 223 has all the regular holes for trigger and grip nut under the bottom plate. I understand it is the same receiver, trunion, and barrel (less threading at muzzel) as the 5.56 full-auto export model AK made by Izhmash.

WASR rifles are AKMs and are 'Clones'. (Along with almost everything else out ther that LOOKS like an AK).

Maryland (Stupidly) makes anything based on the AK action as a 'Regulated' firearm including a Saiga rifle or frame.

But it's weird that Saiga smoothbores can be bought over the counter.

Clones are homegrown AK variants produced in countries other than Russia. Only Russian AK's and direct copies of them are the real thing. Most AK's produced in other countries nowadays have some domestic modifications, and can thus be classified as clones.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

There is only (1) authentic AK-47. After the first finished working firearm was produced then all subsequent AK-47s, AKMs, and variants are nothing more than clones or copies. Semantics, perspective...everyone has an opinion. For this question to have a correct answer someone would have to be anointed "GunGod" who knows all things about everything relating to Firearms. I know...I know...we all know some self appointed "GunGods" but that doesn't count... :lolol:

I'm going to drive into town and argue with a stoplight now!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
If my understanding is correct, weren't the first AK's milled as opposed to stamped?

As I understand it, the very first ones were stamped, but the Russians has some issues with them. Since they had the whole milling thing down pat (making millions of Mosins), they made AKs with milled receivers until they perfected the stamped receiver. That's my understanding, anyway.

As to the OP, I think a Saiga is an AK.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
There is only (1) authentic AK-47. After the first finished working firearm was produced then all subsequent AK-47s, AKMs, and variants are nothing more than clones or copies. Semantics, perspective...everyone has an opinion. For this question to have a correct answer someone would have to be anointed "GunGod" who knows all things about everything relating to Firearms. I know...I know...we all know some self appointed "GunGods" but that doesn't count... :lolol:

I'm going to drive into town and argue with a stoplight now!

That,s funny right thar, I don't care where yer frum :lolol::lolol::lolol::haha::deadhorse: , LOL,LOL.

• 1 month later...

Not a CLONE.

I agree Same Mfg. Plant. Same 'HOLES' (hidden away) in Receiver. Same DESIGN 'inside' (same internals). SAME... EOS.

Showed a russian immigrant today Saiga Pic x39, and he said 'AK', just not full-auto like he had in military :killer:

Added 'NICE' to comments on the pic also.

What the hell does the word, "clone" have to do with a firearm? Believe me, if they could be "cloned" I would not be forced to buy them!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Meh, I'll quote Shakespeare on this one:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet."

I'll call my Saiga's dog s**t and that doesn't change their quality, LOL. I go with what works; and Saiga's are the BEST!

• 2 weeks later...

Saigas are neither AK clones nor AK variants. Saigas are sporting and hunting rifles that just happen to be manufactured in the same plant as current Russian AKs are. If they were anything else you would not be able to legally purchase a new Saiga in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey or New York. With significant accessorization and customization they can be made to look similar to an AK.

Would you people please stop giving the Brady campaign ideas?