I don't have any of these types of guns or kits, but i've always wanted to do an AR pistol and be able to put a stock and 16+ inch barrel on it if i wanted to. This really fucks with my plans if the ATF is changing their minds again.
Just wait a few more months, and they'll change their minds again.

As far as all these "letter wavers", the letters are not "law", and are intended to be a guide for the person who wrote it, not everyone.

I can guarantee you that if I or RangerM9 write a letter, we'll get a completely different answer than the one shown above.

The way I see it, this is just a gray area now. Being that it is NOT law, only one reviewers opinion, I would do whatever you want with it within *actual* law. Don't do stupid things to get their attention in the first place, and you won't have to be the legal guinea pig.

If they don't know you're doing it, they can't bend and twist the law to get you for it.

The way I see it, this is just a gray area now. Being that it is NOT law, only one reviewers opinion, I would do whatever you want with it within *actual* law. Don't do stupid things to get their attention in the first place, and you won't have to be the legal guinea pig.

If they don't know you're doing it, they can't bend and twist the law to get you for it.

Tony R. and Bob Ash are in a business that requires careful detail to laws

such as these. Hopefully, they chime in and comment on retro-configuring

a pistol to rifle then back to pistol.

Tony R. and Bob Ash are in a business that requires careful detail to laws

such as these. Hopefully, they chime in and comment on retro-configuring

a pistol to rifle then back to pistol.

I really can't comment on the legality of converting back and forth. I've never tried it and I wouldn't recommend it. I know that some of you like to push the envelope, and you're welcome to it.

Personally, I don't like "pistols" made from rifle receivers. It's legally ambiguous and functionally deficient compared to an SBR.

well....items like this sure do muddy the waters even more.

1911 carbine conversion

This would be available also

http://www.mechtechsys.com/

but the manufacturer will not get in trouble.

According to the feds, its legally irreversible.

According to the ATF's latest "interpretation", it's legally irreversible.

You guys need to quit pouring the concrete on everything the revenuers say - it has been shown they reverse themselves often. When (if) you get into court over your MechTech conversion, do you think a jury is gonna find for them, as up until a few months ago it was fine? The law hasn't changed. Their interpretation has.

There is a Supreme Court decision that says that it IS reversible.

The 1911 kit from sportsmans guide is possibly questionable because you can leave off the long barrel and just use the stock..

The Magtech kit is unlikely to get you much trouble as you are not able to make a SBR with it, the stock is part of the upper and barrel setup and does not look to be usable as a stand alone.

The 1911 kit from sportsmans guide is possibly questionable because you can leave off the long barrel and just use the stock..

The 9 knife kitchen set sold at Wal-Mart is possibly questionable becaue you might kill another human being with any one ot them.

The new Chevrolet Corvette is possibly questionable because you might drive at at 150 mph and kill someone with it.

That Home Depot hammer is possibly questionable because it has a sharp and a blunt end that can kill.

Where's the personal responsibility?

This is why we had a stupid "assault weapons" ban and still do in some states. "Appearance" and "possibilities" don't hurt anyone.

What I was saying is that if your going for a carbine kit it may be a good idea to get one cannot have the stock attached without the 16 inch barrel, that way they could never say that you planned to use it as a SBR.

Like if you had this in your pistol case with a glock-17 and did not have a longer barrel with it.. It could get you more attention than you want.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=383702

What I was saying is that if your going for a carbine kit it may be a good idea to get one cannot have the stock attached without the 16 inch barrel, that way they could never say that you planned to use it as a SBR.

. . . and then they walk out into your garage and take the hacksaw off the pegboard and allege you meant to cut the barrel.

So long as these guys perjure themselves and flip flop on "interpretations", nobody is safe if they come to their attention.

• 1 month later...
It was stated that the ATF does not make law but interprets it. Technically this may be true, but what about regulations they write like 922r that carry the same force & penalty as law?

Everything contained in US Code Title 18 Section 922 is law.

As i understand things, the BATFE finally realized that AR receivers needed some clarification and acted. The receiver can now be registered by the FFL dealer as just that, a receiver. Not pistol, not rifle...just receiver (no you cannot re-designate the pile of receivers you may be sitting on), allowing it to be either pistol or rifle so long as it is in the proper configuration, ie no SBR without the stamp....swap back and forth as much as you want. A dealer at the last gun show told me this and personally i thought he was bullshitting me, but kept my eyes open for confirmation.

It's in the latest American Rifleman....gotta go get me another AR lower....registered right this time.

• 2 weeks later...
So even if a virgin reciever was papered and then home built originally into a pistol, if changed to a rifle it can not be switched back to pistol.

I stand corrected.

So even if a virgin reciever was papered and then home built originally into a pistol, if changed to a rifle it can not be switched back to pistol.

I stand corrected.

That would be correct according to how the feds see things.

That would be correct as to the last interpretation of the revenuers.

Before about 6 months ago, it was okay with them to go from handgun to rifle back to handgun.

The law hasn't changed, just the revenuers interpretation of it.

Y'all keep this in mind.

This 2004 letter posted on gunco.net declares a pistol can be made

from a receiver that has never been stocked. According to them,

if it has ever had a buttstock on it can not be made into a pistol

without a tax stamp. I'm still wondering if the mech tech company

gets around this policy by making sure the stock itself is connected

to the upper receiver and not the actual pistol frame.

HMMMMMMMM

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f3/ak-pistol-q...150/index2.html

bbnb3.jpg

Edited by expeditionx

Expeditionx,

thanks for the letter, however it still does not answer the question of if i can take a manufactured pistol, put a stock and 16 inch barrel on it, and then go back to pistol configuration. This letter only addresses when making a receiver into a pistol FOR THE FIRST TIME! And I 100% agree you cannot take a receiver that started off as a rifle ( or in the case of an AR receiver, registered as a rifle and built into a rifle first.), and make a pistol out of it without the paperwork.

I would argue that If i own the gun purchased as a pistol, registered as a pistol, i am NOT a manufacturer just because i changed the barrel and stock. I'm not a manufacturer when i change the barrel and stock on 10/22 that i own. The fact that i converted from one legal form to another does not make it a manufacturing process. I may be temporarily changing the configuration but i am not re-manufacturing the the gun. The TC contender case confirms that position.

Expeditionx,

thanks for the letter, however it still does not answer the question of if i can take a manufactured pistol, put a stock and 16 inch barrel on it, and then go back to pistol configuration. This letter only addresses when making a receiver into a pistol FOR THE FIRST TIME! And I 100% agree you cannot take a receiver that started off as a rifle ( or in the case of an AR receiver, registered as a rifle and built into a rifle first.), and make a pistol out of it without the paperwork.

I would argue that If i own the gun purchased as a pistol, registered as a pistol, i am NOT a manufacturer just because i changed the barrel and stock. I'm not a manufacturer when i change the barrel and stock on 10/22 that i own. The fact that i converted from one legal form to another does not make it a manufacturing process. I may be temporarily changing the configuration but i am not re-manufacturing the the gun. The TC contender case confirms that position.

A pistol can only be configured from a receiver that has never had a stock on it.

They consider configuring the same as assembly.

Read the extra letter below.

When a stock is placed on a pistol, it becomes a rifle.

Reversing this cannot be done without a tax stamp.

That's their rules. Anyway you cut it, you can't swap

back and forth.

25qyts0.jpg

2uh1do3.jpg

Edited by expeditionx
Expeditionx,

The TC contender case confirms that position.

The TC case was about whether a box of parts can be sold

that could potentially be configured as a short barrel rifle.

TC won the case that they can sell the same parts in a box

and that does not constitute constructive intent as it might

if you have a full auto drop in sear and a gun that can

utilize that sear. There is no ambiguity in that case.

The Supreme Court decided that since a legal firearm

configuration could be achieved with a box of parts from

TC the box of parts would not automatically constitute

constructive intent as the ATF suggested. The end user

can still get in trouble for configuring the gun in a way

that is not legal. So, you can make a rifle from a handgun,

but you can not turn it back to a rifle. This falls back to

the fact that only a virgin receiver can be used to make

a handgun. In the first letter above, this is quite clear.

The second letter clearly says you can't turn a handgun

into a long gun, and then back to a handgun.

Thanks, have not seen that last one posted anywhere before. But again, that is just one interpretation in, would still like to see this addressed on an AR platform.

and there is likely to be a hell of a lot of trouble with these then.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=418332

available soon from Midway

http://www.glockguy.com/Item.aspx?PID=957

ak-5pc-rr2.jpg

5 pc. Full Auto Fire Control Parts Set

IIRC there can also be trouble if someone owns the set above

and any ak weapon that can use them under the same roof based

on constructive intent.

Maybe I am wrong, but aren't these completely legal to sell to anyone

and the end user is liable for what may happen. Maybe this isn't relevant

, but there is a guy that is in prison from a recent ATF case against him

involving possession of an airgun noise suppressor. It was clearly made

to work only with airguns, but they insisted it still constituted a firearms

noise suppressor. Anyway, this issue is settled for myself. I will not

be doing what the letters suggest is illegal.

Invalid link posted. Here is a good one: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=118574686

As far as that receiver goes, so long as it's never been completely built, it can be built into anything.

"Pistol" markings don't mean sh** on a virgin AR15 receiver unless you are unfortunate and live in some commie locale.

+1

Invalid link posted. Here is a good one: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=118574686

As far as that receiver goes, so long as it's never been completely built, it can be built into anything.

"Pistol" markings don't mean sh** on a virgin AR15 receiver unless you are unfortunate and live in some commie locale.

+1

If they actually start cracking down on this stuff, Bubba is going to have

several new girlfriends.

on constructive intent.

You are confusing the AR15 "drop in go-fast parts" with AK military surplus FCG parts.

You can have all the US legal AKs you want and all the 'full auto AK FCG parts sets" you want under your roof.

Until you perform certain mechanical operations to a major component of your AKs, they won't work at all in "go-fast" mode (this is why you see them for sale everywhere - they don't work until you punch your own ticket to Club Fed).

If you want to wrap the tinfoil tighter, having a hacksaw and a long gun under your roof is 'constructive intent' to create an unregistered SBS/SBR.

If you want to wrap the tinfoil tighter, having a dremel and a firearm under your roof is 'constructive intent' to create and unregistred machine gun.

Let's stop channelling Chicken Little, ok? If the federales are sniffing up ways to pin "constructive intent" on you, you've obviously stepped off into a Grade-A supersized fresh cow patty somewhere along the way . . .

on constructive intent.

You are confusing the AR15 "drop in go-fast parts" with AK military surplus FCG parts.

You can have all the US legal AKs you want and all the 'full auto AK FCG parts sets" you want under your roof.

Until you perform certain mechanical operations to a major component of your AKs, they won't work at all in "go-fast" mode (this is why you see them for sale everywhere - they don't work until you punch your own ticket to Club Fed).

If you want to wrap the tinfoil tighter, having a hacksaw and a long gun under your roof is 'constructive intent' to create an unregistered SBS/SBR.

If you want to wrap the tinfoil tighter, having a dremel and a firearm under your roof is 'constructive intent' to create and unregistred machine gun.

Let's stop channelling Chicken Little, ok? If the federales are sniffing up ways to pin "constructive intent" on you, you've obviously stepped off into a Grade-A supersized fresh cow patty somewhere along the way . . .

Funny that you mention tinfoil hat. :lolol: I figure you guys might find this insane.

http://www.beemans.net/silencers_on_airguns.htm

0.45" bullet @730 ft/sec wait til the full auto version comes out

Big%20Bore%2044%20909%20Light%20Hunter.jpg

In x-raying postal packages for dangerous materials, the federal authorities detected the defendant's legally owned .44 caliber Sam Yang pneumatic rifle - not even one of the infamous black guns. A warrant allowed Postal Inspectors to search the package and they found a "sound moderator" in a pocket of the case for this airgun. There were no aggravating circumstances and no evidence that violence of any kind was intended or involved. This device had been specifically built for use on a Sam Yang air rifle and was specially built with fabric insides so that it would be destroyed by use on a firearm. The manufacturer wrote that "It was made for AIR only. It cannot handle the flash of a firearm." However, the ATF laboratory tested it on a Ruger .22 firearm - and it did reduce the sound for one shot - thus meeting the definition of a firearm silencer.

Edited by expeditionx