Cheapo red dot magnifier without the Aimpoint price

For those budget minded folks that like a longer reaching red dot, I added a Brunton Echo monochular sight behind my Aimpoint on my AR with one of those quick release single rail mounts. It was a nice 25.00 add on that extended my shorty M4 red dot to respectable 100 yard shots. It's a bit of a jerry rig, but damn sure works nice. I couldn't seeing spending 2 to 4 hundred bucks on a mag lens for a red dot unless we are talking high end military. This one gives adjustable zoom at an economy price.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/brunton-7x18-e...cket-scope.html

The only trick is to pick a mount ring that matches your optic height. I think I used a 30mil ring. Then laugh at all your range buddies at what an expensive Aimpoint or Eotech magnifier you had custom installed. I saved a case of ammo on this piece of crap and it has held up to a lot of recoil. Considering trying to fit one on my AK now. I haven't tested this on a 12gauge, but it seems much more sturdy than my optics i've used.

Great tip. Could you let us know what rings/mount you used for your AR-15? May be post some photos? Thanks.

For those budget minded folks that like a longer reaching red dot, I added a Brunton Echo monochular sight behind my Aimpoint on my AR with one of those quick release single rail mounts. It was a nice 25.00 add on that extended my shorty M4 red dot to respectable 100 yard shots. It's a bit of a jerry rig, but damn sure works nice. I couldn't seeing spending 2 to 4 hundred bucks on a mag lens for a red dot unless we are talking high end military. This one gives adjustable zoom at an economy price.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/brunton-7x18-e...cket-scope.html

The only trick is to pick a mount ring that matches your optic height. I think I used a 30mil ring. Then laugh at all your range buddies at what an expensive Aimpoint or Eotech magnifier you had custom installed. I saved a case of ammo on this piece of crap and it has held up to a lot of recoil. Considering trying to fit one on my AK now. I haven't tested this on a 12gauge, but it seems much more sturdy than my optics i've used.

7x?

You are fucking high. Waay too much magnification for a RDS!

The only "budget" magnifier that is worth a damn is the LaRue Tactical "po' boy" special. If you buy their Aimpoint magnifier flip-mount you get a 2.5x hensoldt magnifier (anti-tank optic /w reticle removed and re-purged with nitrogen) for $50. That 7x waay too much magnification or those ebay chinese magnifiers are not worth the time or effort--they are a waste of money.

Edited by DavePAL84

I absolutely second that

7x?

You are fucking high. Waay too much magnification for a RDS!

The only "budget" magnifier that is worth a damn is the LaRue Tactical "po' boy" special. If you buy their Aimpoint magnifier flip-mount you get a 2.5x hensoldt magnifier (anti-tank optic /w reticle removed and re-purged with nitrogen) for $50. That 7x waay too much magnification or those ebay chinese magnifiers are not worth the time or effort--they are a waste of money.