Does the King Armory Muzzle Brake/Hider unit brake much?

The king armory muzzle device, which is sort of a muzzle brake/standoff/flash hider unit. It looks like it work great as a flash hider & it seems to tighten patterns, especially w/ Flite Control ammo.

But does it really brake very much? Look at the design of it, it doesn't seem like it really ports much gas backwards to brake recoil?

Trying to decide whether to get this or a Tromix Shark (if I can find one).

The king armory muzzle device, which is sort of a muzzle brake/standoff/flash hider unit. It looks like it work great as a flash hider & it seems to tighten patterns, especially w/ Flite Control ammo.

But does it really brake very much? Look at the design of it, it doesn't seem like it really ports much gas backwards to brake recoil?

Trying to decide whether to get this or a Tromix Shark (if I can find one).

Recoil reduction varies depending on the ammo used, but the primary thing that the brake eliminates is the freeblast that occurs once the wad leaves the muzzle. Recoil reduction on a shotgun muzzlebrake is acheived a little differently than it is on a rifle muzzlebrake. The shotgun uses a lot more projectile compared to the amount of propellant, but it has a lot more bore cross-section than a rifle does so pressure differential becomes more of a factor. Our goals in designing the unit were the following

1: Recoil reduction

2: Flash reduction

3: Redirecting heat/propellant away from the line of sight

4: Minimum increase in noise level

5: Minimum weight

6: Maximum venting capacity while still containing the shotwad cleanly

7: Easy installation

8: Durability/resistance to damage

Directing the propellant rearward would have given us a marginal increase in recoil reduction, but would have greatly increased the noise level at the operator's position. Instead, we looked at getting a maximum amount of venting and making the baffles as tall as possible to stop and direct the propellant in a direction perpendicular to the barrel. What this setup allows a maximum amount of propellant to be redirected which reduces the secondary recoil impulse normally caused by the freeblast. The result is less "push" and quicker follow up shots. We don't get the 35-50% recoil reduction that we get from some of our rifle brakes, but that level of recoil reduction just isn't physically possible with shotgun ammo. Porting or angled vents would have made the gun too loud for the operator and since we were designing the KA-1212 to work specifically in LE and HD environments where hearing protection probably wasn't going to be in use, we had to take that into consideration. Hope that answers your questions. Which unit you go with really depends on what you want to do with it. The Tromix unit gives good recoil reduction and looks really cool, our unit is designed for 'working' use doing door breaching and such. If you are looking to put together a cool looking range gun/zombie slayer then go with the Tromix unit, if you are putting together a duty/work shotgun then you'll probably prefer our unit.

Edited by kingarmory.com
The KA-1212 will screw directly onto the end of a threaded S 12, correct?

Yup, has the standard M22x0.75 threads and a lockring. We're working on a big batch of them right now and will try to put together a package deal for Saiga-12 members sometime in January to coincide with the start of our advertising sponsorship here.

Yup, has the standard M22x0.75 threads and a lockring. We're working on a big batch of them right now and will try to put together a package deal for Saiga-12 members sometime in January to coincide with the start of our advertising sponsorship here.

I'll take one! Let me know when you have your 'package deal' going. :big_smile:

JD

JD

Will it work with an FSB? Can it be indexed to the FSB with a pin if a Dinzag FSB is used?

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything about the 'package deal' mentioned on this forum back on December 18th? I am nearing the completion of my latest Saiga 12 conversion and I wanted to incorporate a KA-1212.

Has anyone heard anything about the 'package deal' mentioned on this forum back on December 18th? I am nearing the completion of my latest Saiga 12 conversion and I wanted to incorporate a KA-1212.

I would be interested in one as well.

I would be interested in one as well.

+1

JD

Will it work with an FSB? Can it be indexed to the FSB with a pin if a Dinzag FSB is used?

Not sure about the Dinzag FSB, but as long as the factory threads are there you can easily index our unit, no Loctite or pins required.

Here's a pic of our KA-1212BR for the Saiga. It has a single soft stainless setscrew for installing on S-12's that had part of the barrel thread chopped (or as a secondary securement for breachers) and a lockring for installing on standard threaded barrels. Basically, the ring is threaded on all the way, then the brake is installed all the way. Back the brake and ring out up to half a turn to get the proper indexing then tighten them into each other and presto, no loosening or other problems. No tools, no Loctite, no machining :super:

10-30-08077.jpg

I decided to call King Armory this morning to see what was up.

I spoke with Joe and discovered he is waiting on a few final details from the folks here on this forum as well as some raw material for a larger CNC production run.

He did tell be about his special-to-be, which includes your choice of the KA-1212 Brake/Suppressor OR KA-1212BR Brake/Breacher AND a KA-SG01 improved gas piston for $105 plus shipping.

I didn't even know they made a gas piston! (922r goodness)

LOOKS GREAT!

Joe said he thought it would be about two weeks.

I am definately on the list for one of these specails!!!!!!

I also noticed a new barrel for the saiga 12! (KA-SG02) (more 922r goodness)

US made barrel that is machined to accept Remmington chokes. :wub:

Check out their sight for more info.

http://www.kingarmory.com/default.htm

Edited by JeffD