No mod AR stock adapter for Saiga

I have a Vltor emod stock on my m4 and I love it. I have been looking for a way to adapt the saiga to use this style of stock.

I came across this stock adapter. No mods required to use!

post-14713-1229745267.jpg

post-14713-1229746367.jpg

Does anyone have one of these and/or have an opinion to share? I plan on using a very similar optics mount for my halo sight and the height/geometry looks good in the pic.

Let me know what you think.

Edited by JeffD

My personal opinion is that they look really ugly with the offset, but that's just me.

If you're a fan of Vltor, they have a no-mod aluminum adapter tube.

CAA also has one that's very similar.

I have one, I can't think of the brand right now, but it puts the tube higher than the UTG, which is perfect for me with my scoped 308. I'll try to think of the name. It's somewhat similar to the Mako adapter.

Acer

My personal opinion is that they look really ugly with the offset, but that's just me.

If you're a fan of Vltor, they have a no-mod aluminum adapter tube.

CAA also has one that's very similar.

I have one, I can't think of the brand right now, but it puts the tube higher than the UTG, which is perfect for me with my scoped 308. I'll try to think of the name. It's somewhat similar to the Mako adapter.

Acer

Thanks for the reply. I would love to see these other adapters. I hope you can find the info and/or links.

Finally found the one I have. Here's the Mako one. Can't say much about it. It's another option.

If I wasn't happy with my present config, I'd probably use the CAA adapter tube or the similar Vltor one. The Vltor has QD sling attachments, but the CAA has loops built in. Whatever you need.

Hope that helps,

Acer

Well, it's been through probably 500 rds on my S-308 without a hitch, and it's still solid. Just have to be careful not to cross-thread and drill the holes centered and it's all good.

My $.02,

Acer

EDIT: I will say though, if I'd known about the CAA one when I did my conversion, I would have definitely gone with the metal option.

Edited by acer_saiga308
Finally found the one I have.

You'll break that fucker in short order. When those first came out, I bought one along with a couple friends. I broke my first and the rest of my friends followed. Not worth it.

I'm with him on this. I've owned two of those total freaking crap. I don't care what you say about it, it will eventually break on you, especially with a .308. Just wait.

I have a Command Arms one on my wifes AK, very cool. I bought it for my AK, but it does not fit, slightly thicker receiver walls. I could always file down the aluminum adapter, but I have not gotten around to that yet.

I have now spent several hours researching these adapters. I have found two inexpensive composite adapters. One high mount, and one low mount. I will try them both and let you all know what I think. I will attach pics soon. I agree that a metal option would be better. I looked at the CAA adapter but was not impressed. Its pricy too. Based on everything I've seen so far I like the VLTOR AK adapter the best. The built in QD sling socket is a nice touch too. Check out their website for details.

Here is the VLTOR adapter.

post-14713-1229799210_thumb.jpg

Edited by JeffD
Does anyone know if the Enidine buffer tube that would work with a collapsible AR stock works with the factory tang like the CAA or Vltor tubes, or would I have to cut the tang?

bcelliott,

I have been looking into adding a enidine buffer to my S12. Here is what I came up with.

Ace makes an aluminum ar to ak adaptor. I ordered an adapter from bj buffers ($30) but it turned out to be some type of

polymer plastic and does not look like it would take the punishment. Ace looks like the way to go as it is a metal

adaptor. From the sound of it it will not require you to cut the tang off the saiga. It looks like it would fit the vltor as long as it uses

the standard ar tube. If it fits an ar then it will fit a S12 with the ace adaptor ($50). There are a lot of stocks that will fit the enidine. Not trying to hijack the thread

and thanks for letting me put my 2cnts in.

beagle12

Does anyone know if the Enidine buffer tube that would work with a collapsible AR stock works with the factory tang like the CAA or Vltor tubes, or would I have to cut the tang?

bcelliott,

I have been looking into adding a enidine buffer to my S12. Here is what I came up with.

Ace makes an aluminum ar to ak adaptor. I ordered an adapter from bj buffers ($30) but it turned out to be some type of

polymer plastic and does not look like it would take the punishment. Ace looks like the way to go as it is a metal

adaptor. From the sound of it it will not require you to cut the tang off the saiga. It looks like it would fit the vltor as long as it uses

the standard ar tube. If it fits an ar then it will fit a S12 with the ace adaptor ($50). There are a lot of stocks that will fit the enidine. Not trying to hijack the thread

beagle12

Have to agree with the others who say no to the plastic. If you have a safe queen, or baby your guns and don't shoot them much, that plastic adapter might last. If you shoot it, it will break. When you buy your second one, you just spent more than you would have on a higher quality aluminum adapter. Wish I had the link to the one I went with after learning this expensive lesson, but so far no luck.

I have the CAA, and I find it to be a high quality product. You cannot go wrong with it.

+1

It is way better than the Vltor model.

I'm curious... Please explain your comment: "It is way better than the Vltor model."

Both made of metal.

Both require no mods to the receiver.

Vltor has QD swivel sockets on both sides. CAA has loops on both sides.

Vltor is LESS expensive.

Vltor is dimensionally correct for Vltor and Colt stocks. (milspec.)

Here's the formula for what I think you're trying to do.

AKRBC2.jpg

post-8552-1230028473_thumb.jpg

Mesa%20Tactical%2092170-2.jpg

I am not thrilled with my ACE adapter. I ended up grinding down my pignose to get a proper angle for the stock. I heard they "fixed" the angle issue so that it is more like the Tromix (which Tony welds the backplate to the correct angle). But the fact that you also have to chop off the tang makes it not worth $40+in my opinion.

I am waiting to receive some extra OEM Saiga 12 stocks (Thanks to Cobra) to try to engineer a durable set-up that doesn't require mods. It would have to be compatible with any AR tube, notably including the Enidine (best $120 mod you can get if you shoot slugs and buckshot IMO). My preference would be for metal threads & polymer outside for rigidity and ease of form fitting the variance from AK to AK.

Here's the formula for what I think you're trying to do.

AKRBC2.jpg

post-8552-1230028473_thumb.jpg

Mesa%20Tactical%2092170-2.jpg

Your 'formula' is similar to what I'm looking for with two major exceptions.

Both the CAA and Vltor adapters are ONE piece construction.

And secondly, both the CAA and Vltor adapters do NOT require you to modify your receiver in any way. (i.e. cutting off the stock tang.)

Not to mention that I would assume the CAA and Vltor adapters are cheaper than the three items you have pictured.

bcelliott,

beagle12

I was unaware of the ENIDINE SHOT STOCK until I read the responses here. This looks like an interesting item, but until I have shot numerious types/sizes of ammo through my saiga I wont know if its needed.

post-14713-1230060958_thumb.jpg

If I was going to try the enidine, the best thing I have seen so far is the UTG adapter. (Purchased and on the way for testing.)

post-14713-1230061080_thumb.jpg

Although not metal, I still think it might be a better option than the ace adapter+pignose: It does NOT require receiver modifications. (i.e. cutting off the stock tang) It's a single unit not two seperate pieces. It appears to have the right comb (geometry) for quick/accurate sight picture.

I hear what everyone (Including me) is sayiing about metal vs plastic, however some of these composite items are actually better than metal for certain applications. (i.e. The rear leaf spring of a corvette has been composite for several years.) The hard jolt from a 12ga recoil would be theoretically absorbed by the enidine shot stock and not the adapter or the shooter's shoulder.

JeffD,

I wasn't aware of the UTG adaptor--you've almost settled it for me--I think I might go with that adaptor and the Enidine now instead of a normal warsaw stock w/ pad like my AK-103. I like the russian look better, but the ability to reduce recoil for rapid fire and to collapse the stock are making me lean toward the AR stock (I already have a Vltor Clubfoot stock sitting here).

JeffD,

I wasn't aware of the UTG adaptor--you've almost settled it for me--I think I might go with that adaptor and the Enidine now instead of a normal warsaw stock w/ pad like my AK-103. I like the russian look better, but the ability to reduce recoil for rapid fire and to collapse the stock are making me lean toward the AR stock (I already have a Vltor Clubfoot stock sitting here).

On second thought, that adaptor is quite ugly. I think I might have to cut the tang and go with the Ace internal block, pignose adaptor, Enidine, and Vltor.

JeffD,

On second thought, that adaptor is quite ugly. I think I might have to cut the tang and go with the Ace internal block, pignose adaptor, Enidine, and Vltor.

I would agree the AR stock mounted behind the AK looks strange. I am however willing to test its function compared to the original stock to see which I like best. Like many others I like the 'feel' of vltor stock and the adjustability of of the AR mount/tube design.

Once cut, you're committed. If you can wait a fews days I should have everything I need to try the no mod conversion. I will post a detailed report, including test firing and the 'feel' of the stock. If however, form is more important than function, go ahead and cut away...

I am concerned about the comb/basic geometry of the vltor (or any AR stock for that matter) behind the AK platform. I feel the ACE adapter & pig nose will make the tube/stock too high in relationship to the barrel.

The magpul stock mentioned by another in this topic is an excellent adjustable stock, but its intended to adjust upwards. It can only retract so far. If the AR tube is mounted to high, the magpul adjustable stock may be a moot point.

If after trying the composite adapter I feel the geometry is correct, I have the capability to produce one in metal. IF I feel that is necessary. I am purchasing all of the necessary parts to perform this test. Only after careful testing will I have my answer.

Aesthetics aside... That UTG adapter looks like it has too much "drop" and it looks like it also adds to the LOP. My personal preference is to keep things in line with the force/direction of recoil. I could be wrong because of the way the AK47 is pictured in the 1st picture. But, it does look to me that if you wanted a straight line from barrel to stock, it would be the CAA, VLTOR, and the Ace.