No mod AR stock adapter for Saiga

I've got the CAA on my S12. It was a set of the tube and stock together (though I believe both are available separately). At the time (this past summer) I found the CAA set for the same price as the VLTOR tube alone. The CAA stock does have ambi QD mounts front and rear as well as a regular 1.25" sling loop at the bottom rear (removable). Though I don't recall for sure, I was thinking that the CAA tube was also of mil-spec dimensions, though as I said, I don't recall for sure. The CAA stock is a bit cluttered IMO, with a battery compartment (4xCR123's) with door on one side and short picatinny on the other (the door and picatinny can be swapped to either side). The batteries are held firmly with no rattle, even 1 or 2 isn't an issue. It also seems as though it would be watertight, or resistant at least. Sure beats keeping them in a hollow vertical grip.....or worse yet, a Tapco SAW PG ;)

There was a version of the VLTOR tube that left an opening around the portion that went into the receiver which was then closed off with a piece of kydex trim. However, from the pics in this post, it looks like this is now taken care of by an integral metal trim similar to the CAA piece. Also, my CAA tube does not have the sling loops at the receiver mating end, so this must be a newer addition.

Quality wise, I have no complaints about the CAA tube and stock, and I consider myself to have a pretty high standard for quality. I would imagine these two pieces are very similar, and it may just come down to cost? That and the plastic trim piece for the VLTOR were what led me to go with the CAA. Though now it looks like cost may be one of the only differences? I should mention that the CAA stock does have a nice butt pad, though it isn't an overly soft compound.

I will say that I did have to modify the portion of the tube that fits into the receiver with some filing. However, since these are made to be universal for all stamped AK receivers (they have another version for milled), I chalked it up to Saiga build variances. I haven't noticed any QC issues with CAA parts. Basically I've had to tweak everything I've fit to this gun. I did also notch the stock so it could fully colapse and I imagine this would need to be done when using the VLTOR piece as well. The portion of the receiver that extends back (trunnion, or is it tang?) with the rearmost stock mounting hole, has the sides/edges that "ramp up as they come to the receiver. The stock hit these prior to fully collapsing. Instead of filing the metal down flush, I chose to cut notches in the stock to slide around these "ramped" portions. Hope this makes sense, though I can post pics when I get home Friday if that would help.

I would say you can't go wrong with the CAA or the VLTOR, as they seem to be the most solidly built no-receiver-mod collapsible stock units available.

Edited by blackplag

UPDATE: 12/31/08

I discovered yesterday the company I ordered the two plastic/polymer AR stock adapters from had a hickup in my order and refunded my money. :eek:

(So much for havig something to test before Christmas!)

Based on these events I have decided to purchase the CAA adapter and CBS stock combo.

Here's a pic:

post-14713-1230749446.jpg

I decided on the CAA over the Vltor because:

1) The CAA adapter is a six position tube whereas the Vltor is five position.

2) The CAA adapter (New version) has a built-in snap clip sling mounting points on each side. (I use a bunch sling on my M4A1 that mounts perfectly to this point. I prefer this type of sling in a CBQ situation.)

3) The Vltor adapter uses some type of plactic to seal between the AR tube and AK receiver. The CAA is solid metal.

I also decided to get the CAA CBS stock.

Here's a link to info in this stock:

http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=87&cID=57

I LOVE my Vltor EMOD stock, but this new stock from CAA seems to have everythinig my Vltor has and more. I like all of the included features plus the optional parts available.

Hopefull I will have this in my hands SOON and I will let you all know how it works.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: 1/16/09

Sorry for the long delay... Life, you know how it is sometimes.

I DID receive and install the CAA adapter and CBS stock combo.

IT'S AWESOME! :big_smile:

Number one reason it's awesome: I got it quickly. Directly from CAA. None of the 'Oh-so-common' backorder, shipping or production delay crap! While I was dong this conversion I had a buddy start his own conversion. He went the internal block/pig nose route... No parts for him yet. :cryss: He's dealing with ACE now. Who knows when he will get his parts.

OK... I feel better now that's off my chest. :deadhorse:

The adapter is a work of art. Well made. Solid metal. Exceptional machining. The adapter included the two necessary hex head machine screws for mounting as well as the needed allen wrench.

The adapter took about 2 minutes to install, and when mounted feels VERY solid! (NOTE1: While this adapter mounts to the stock tang, no cutting necessary, the trigger assy/guard must be relocated in order for this adapter to be mounted.) (NOTE2: Some grinding may be necessary on the bottom of the adapter to clear any mounting screws protruding from your pistol grip/trigger guard inside the receiver.)

I like the fact the tube is MORE in-line with the the barrel then some of the other adapters I have seen. Cheek weld, comb, LOP and sight pucture are all good for me.

The built in loops are perfect for mounting a 'bunch-sling' to the rear of the receiver which is my preferred method of carry.

post-14713-1232133742_thumb.jpg

post-14713-1232133791_thumb.jpg

post-14713-1232133862_thumb.jpg

I have shot a few hundred rounds with this stock and it works well. It's recoil pad is comfortable and does not slip.

PARTIALLY CONVERTED... It WILL be done soon (Waiting on a few more parts, welding and Moly Resin)

post-14713-1232130724_thumb.jpg

Edited by JeffD