Are Saiga's "sighted in" at the factory?

I'm not even sure if "sighted in" is a real phrase...what I mean is: are the sights dialed in at the factory before shipping?

I sure hope not...because as some of you know my new Saiga was pretty off the first time I took it to the range. Just want to confirm...do you guys always dial in your new Saiga's or were they pretty much on target right out of the box??

Thanks

Edited by Prodge

Thanks for the reply. I am hoping to hit the range tomorrow (today) with my ak sight tool and dial her in...mine was about 3" left at about 100 ft, it was also shooting too low but that wasn't quite as bad. Let's see what happens.

Edited by Prodge

i dont know because i didnt take many calculated slow shots.. but it was hitting decently at 50 with the rear leaf all the way down... i was hitting spray can size targets at 50 without a ton of effort.. many on the first shot..

plan to set up the gun in a more stable way next outing and see exactly how it hits..

I'm not even sure if "sighted in" is a real phrase...what I mean is: are the sights dialed in at the factory before shipping?

I sure hope not...because as some of you know my new Saiga was pretty off the first time I took it to the range. Just want to confirm...do you guys always dial in your new Saiga's or were they pretty much on target right out of the box??

Thanks

Mine was pretty off as well.

My Saiga 12 was dead on with slugs at 50 yards right out of the box. The 7.62x39 and 308 needed a little elevation adjustment but windage was right on. If you look at the front of the front sight tower you will see a window. If there is a line scribed on it then the rifle was sighted in at one time. Different ammo might need to be resighted, windage and elevation.

Mine has a line scribed (that's what made me wonder) but it was still way off. I found it strange that it had the line and was still soo far off.

My Saiga 12 was dead on with slugs at 50 yards right out of the box. The 7.62x39 and 308 needed a little elevation adjustment but windage was right on. If you look at the front of the front sight tower you will see a window. If there is a line scribed on it then the rifle was sighted in at one time. Different ammo might need to be resighted, windage and elevation.
Mine has a line scribed (that's what made me wonder) but it was still way off. I found it strange that it had the line and was still soo far off.

I believe most of them are eyeballed in final inspection to see if the sights look like they are on the top sides of the barrel and receiver by a one eyed drunken Ruskie vodka drinker from the factory. A Smith and Wesson custom trial grouping target did not come in my box. I was sort of happy the magazine was included in the box and they didn't forget to pack it.

My guess is no.

Too funny. Yeah, I guess you're right I should be glad I got my magazine...I must be super lucky cuz I even got the tool kit..LOL

I believe most of them are eyeballed in final inspection to see if the sights look like they are on the top sides of the barrel and receiver by a one eyed drunken Ruskie vodka drinker from the factory. A Smith and Wesson custom trial grouping target did not come in my box. I was sort of happy the magazine was included in the box and they didn't forget to pack it.

My guess is no.

My groupings are nice and tight...just the groups are left of where I am aiming :)

mine can a do a 3 inch group at 75 yards, right outta the box not so bad

It sounds like all they do at the factory is lock the thing in a vise and fire a few rounds and then measure the group. Aim point probably has nothing to do with it. My paper said 94mm which is 3.7 in. If that's at 100 meters, it ain't bad.

jcs44

Edited by jcs44
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a 16" and 21" Saiga in 7.62x39.

Shot them both for the first time on the same day. Had to sit in three feet of snow.

At 25 meter sight-in distance, both required no windage adjustments, bullets struck about 2" low, though.

This can't be coincidence. Someone at the factory or dealer adjusted the sights on these rifles.

By the way, I'm very impressed with the accuracy. Used Barnaul Brown Bear ammo.

Made a nice little group for the first time out.

I had 100yd bull targets, but I can't see well enough to use them with open sights.

I set this one up at about 35 - 40 yds. and from sitting position in the snow, fired 15 rounds with the 16".

Hold was dead center on the bull.

Really like this gun.

Should I adjust elevation? Not familiar with the ballistics of this round. It may hit dead on at 100 yds.

Al

post-3007-1231614044_thumb.jpg

Had my Saiga for about a year now and the only adjusting I've done to mine was slide the rear sight (I did replace the rear sight with a peep sight though) from the 300 to 100 mark. I've been about to hit the 8" steel plates at 100 yrds everytime...works good enough for me from the factory, guess I got lucky.