Mak-90 Sages. HELP!

Hey guys! I've acquired a Norinco MAK-90 with milled receiver made in the 386 plant. It has the thumbhole stock on it now, but I want to put it back to it's original glory. I have searched and researched K-Var, other forums etc and I'm just getting more and more confused.

So, I came here hoping to find some good advice from some of the AK-47 sages. Where can I find a nice original stock set that will fit this particular gun? Anything I need to know about doing this particular conversion. Is the MAK-90 receiver, tang etc different enough in this rifle as to necessitate special installation steps?

Any help from the experts here would be much appreciated. I found some naked Walnut stocks on Classic Arms a couple of weeks ago, but when I called they were sold out. :angry2:

I would think that all components would be similar for either milled or stamped from the chinese themselves.

However, using a tapco rear stock in my recent restoration, I did have to cut some of the stock away where it inserts into the receiver. Also, a First Sons Enterprises top handguard had a real tight fit into the gas tube/hand guard assembly.

The tangs all vary, Norinco different that E german, different than Romanian, but they are close, I had to mill a slight bit on my mak to put a E german side folder on it. basically, lengthening the screw hole on the tang to make it more oblong, rather than round.

If you are looking for original Chinese furniture, expect to pay over 100 for the set, I have seen some going near 150 you may get lucky, but alot of guys want those maks to look original.

Also, one issue I had, that I had not read about elsewhere, was that the safety/selector could not be removed from the gun, I had to remove the hammer and trigger assembly to get it loose, and then, the US Trigger sear, did not have a notch that the chinese one did.

So, I had to file away part of the safety where it engages the US FCG parts just to get it to go on safe.

Expect some hand fitting, but the basic procedure is not that bad.

Stamped receiver stocks will NOT fit the milled receiver rifles. You will need to make certain you have 10 or less imported parts on the rifle to be compliant with 922r. The most popular US parts to add are fire control group, gas piston, pistol grip and muzzle attachment.

This place will be a good start for finding parts: http://www.polytechparts.com/. You can also check on Gunchoker and other classifieds in various forums. Make certain the buttstock you get is for a milled receiver and NOT stamped...you'll be fine with everything else interchangability-wise.