SAIGA 12 MAGWELL COMPLETED

And you don't see me whining about delivery, either :ph34r:

The question was asked about a specific (now past) date, and I answered because I just happend to have got off the phone with Derek a few minutes before I read the post. While I am always impatient, I really won't "need" mine until the LaRue Tactical match in March :D

Alex

I just ordered one of these so we will see how long it takes. My S12 is taken down at the moment as it is getting refinished so this is a perfect time to do it. I waited all this time to get a drum and now that I have it I am going to put on a magwell that won't accept it...

I think however that the utility of quicker mag changes will outweigh the 20 round advantage as I would not toss an empty drum on the ground like I will an AGP.

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

IPSC Guy,

I tend to disagree with that the 20 round drum is often plenty to finish a stage. There is a very interesting intangable advantage to a drum that I had not considered before I competed against a shooter using one that is the shooter get's into a rythem, my shotgun rythem is interupted each time I reload. Using a drum means your going to stay in the rythem pretty much through the COF hope that makes sense. I believe the Drum is a better choice for the competitive shooter.

John

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one would be down for a magwell as long as it works with the MD drum also.

For my IDPA 3gun non official matches my group just gave the ok for .22 rifles for us poor people to stay in the games, but this put's you into the open class.

It's a good reason to break out the S12 I figure. :)

I am going to get a magwell for use with the AGP 10 rd mags. Another gun will be for the factory mags, drum and other rock and lock devices.

just waiting from everyone to hear how the magwells are. I am sure they take time to make and finish, though I would like to see the cost come down a little.

How do I order?

All orders at this time will be thru the shop address in West Palm Beach, FL., as noted:

Millennium Custom II

1847 Aragon Ave.

Suite #5

Lake Worth, FL 33461

561-628-2127

The owner, Derek, will take care of all orders. All payment methods are accepted.

Please send email correspondence to me at: jdtravers@hotmail.com

I do not get involved with the business end. It wouldn't be fun anymore if I did.

The website is: mcguns.com

We will update the website after our webmaster comes off his 30 day Christmas Holliday drunk. (Maybe)

Take care,

Jack

EDIT: after careful research I do not think you are the same group, so their name, etc are removed. Another group had a setup just like this at SHOT.

Edited by GLOCKshooter
How do I order?

All orders at this time will be thru the shop address in West Palm Beach, FL., as noted:

Millennium Custom II

1847 Aragon Ave.

Suite #5

Lake Worth, FL 33461

561-628-2127

The owner, Derek, will take care of all orders. All payment methods are accepted.

Please send email correspondence to me at: jdtravers@hotmail.com

I do not get involved with the business end. It wouldn't be fun anymore if I did.

The website is: mcguns.com

We will update the website after our webmaster comes off his 30 day Christmas Holliday drunk. (Maybe)

Take care,

Jack

EDIT: after careful research I do not think you are the same group, so their name, etc are removed. Another group had a setup just like this at SHOT.

R&R had a MC magwell on their gun at the Show. They are building competition guns and right now using a MC magwell.

Greg

R&R also uses Dreadnaught Industries mid-barrel compensators. Robert's personal gun has two of them, mounted together :)

Alex

Those mid-comps are really cool. He said he had Zero recoil with them.

I may try some on a gun.

I think so too :)

I was just out in the backyard learning that a comp'ed short gas gun shooting Wolf 1oz/1200fps slugs will overrun the spring on a SureFire 12-round magazine (at least for rounds 1-3). Rounds 4-12 are fine (sigh). However, the comp and angle ported barrel combination sure work nice. I haven't go around to fitting a second comp on anything yet, though.

Although I did put a MC magwell on my backup Saiga before the slug project; pretty neat! I haven't got the mags to drop free 100% yet, but they sure are a breeze to seat in the gun!

Saiga12_magwell_proto.jpg

Alex

Edited by Wakal

Alex beat me to the punch, but all the pre-ordered magwells have shipped out this week. Got pretty hectic these last few weeks getting ready for the Shot Show and an upcomming GNCC (Motorcycle) Race here in Florida.

We still have a few magwells left from the last production run. They work great!! If you wanna be fast, you gotta try one.

Enclosed is a picture of our Tactical/Limited S12 .

Regards,

Jack Travers

Millennium Custom II

post-11998-1232734457_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of the Full Blown Open Division S12. I got with Jaymce and we are playing with the handguards. The next generation will be the same as the AR15 diameter (2.000) so the transition from the Rifle to the Shotgun feels the same. Great handguards, you really have to get one in your hand to see how great they feel.

Jack Travers

Millennium Custom II

post-11998-1232734909_thumb.jpg

Alex beat me to the punch, but all the pre-ordered magwells have shipped out this week. Got pretty hectic these last few weeks getting ready for the Shot Show and an upcomming GNCC (Motorcycle) Race here in Florida.

We still have a few magwells left from the last production run. They work great!! If you wanna be fast, you gotta try one.

Enclosed is a picture of our Tactical/Limited S12 .

Regards,

Jack Travers

Millennium Custom II

WOW! AWESOME work!

Thanks for calling me yesterday! I enjoyed talking with you on the phone and at the time, I had a idea of what you were doing. Now I see it and I MUST have it!

Your saftey is next on my list. Per our conversation I said I was in no hurry but seeing it only makes me want it yesterday!

Seriously, give me a call when you get your head above water and lets talk about whats on my list.

Here is a picture of the Full Blown Open Division S12. I got with Jaymce and we are playing with the handguards. The next generation will be the same as the AR15 diameter (2.000) so the transition from the Rifle to the Shotgun feels the same. Great handguards, you really have to get one in your hand to see how great they feel.

Jack Travers

Millennium Custom II

What kind of dot setup do you have on this gun?? Anymore pictures of that??

Jack Travers

Millennium Custom II

What kind of dot setup do you have on this gun?? Anymore pictures of that??

The red dot is a Docter 7/8 minute sight. The mount is a modified Millennium Custom Guns Aimpoint Mount. I remachined the top adapter to allow access to the dust cover and be able to remount the optic with repeatability.

Jack

post-11998-1232739156_thumb.jpg

I think the holes drilled in the barrel = the comp

Holes drilled in the barrel = holes drilled in the barrel

Many holes drilled in the sides of the barrels, directing high-pressure gas around multiple baffles and out four ports = comp

:haha:

Angle porting plus comp equals flat shooting gun :)

Saiga12_compproto_3.jpg

Alex_shotgun_3gun2008.jpg

Comps may help a little bit, even for old fat guys like me. I noticed on the "shotgun only" stage at the USPSA 3-Gun nationals that I was almost a second faster than Dean Markos (Tromix Competition Saiga, no comp, ported barrel), two seconds faster than Mark Otto (Saiga, no comp, ported barrel), and our own Jack Travers (Saiga, no comp, ported barrel). One instance does not a trend make, but it is interesting :smoke:

Alex

Alex,

You are obviously the goto guy around here on comps. Are all yours one offs, custom made? Is there a site that would explain the sizes, location of holes, baffle design?

I've thought of doing one myself, I'm handy with tools, but I don't want to screw up my one and only S12 to rediscover what others already have figured out.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Edit to add: I'm planning on 12" SBS, already have the paperwork filled out. I'm wondering about gas bleed off and causing cycling problems.

Edited by Paladin

I've got a polychoke on mine already, which I need to help keep groups tight after cutting it down to 12". The mid barrel comp would help keep the blast and barrel down I think.

Looks like the ports on Alex's cannon are angled backwards. I was thinking of making something that vents straight out the sides or even a tad forward. Would reduce the effectiveness a tad but may keep you from blasting your wing man so much.

The internal design of the comp directs gas forward, and then around the two baffles and out the four (angled to the rear) exhaust ports. It gives your Saiga four asses :haha:

These are CNC'ed...the silver ones in some of my other pictures are the prototypes off a manual machine.

We fit six magwells to Saigas Saturday night...I did the first one by hand a few weeks ago just to see how hard it was. Like most hand work, tedious but certainly easy enough. With a mill, it was very fast...one of the local shooters watched while we butchered his gun, went home and fit four magazines, and then ran it in the match the next morning. These magwells are officially Good Stuff :D

I have been using 6/32 bolts, though, instead of the 5/40 shipped with the magwell. Yes, not as many threads make contact with the receiver, but you can find 6/32 anywhere. I travel a lot when I shoot, and trying to keep track of oddball thread patterns is not a wise choice in any theater of operations ;)

Alex

Edited by Wakal

So I got home from work yesterday and found out my 2 magwells had arrived in Austin and my friends graciously attached these pics for me:

DSC01841.jpg

DSC01837.jpg

They look FANTASTIC. :wub: Was told they came with the rest of the mounting hardware and instructions, and that they'll be kept safe until I get home. Now I really can't wait for my vacation (less than a month now)! :angry:

My thanks to Derek and MCG for the quick responses and assuredly awesome product!

Edited by macross40k
  • 2 weeks later...

I was initially skeptical about hacking away at the mag area and and mags before actually installing mine as well but I got it put on on friday night and have to say I am 100% impressed and satisfied. Fit and finish was perfect and if I hadnt had to take off my trigger guard and mod it a little bit the instalation would have taken 30 minutes.

Anyone know where I can get a mag release extension? I want the type that you can hit with your trigger finger with your hand still on the grip. I would prefer to get a polychoke at the same time to save on shipping but it wouldnt be a dealbreaker. I havent had much luck with google. Thanks

I was initially skeptical about hacking away at the mag area and and mags before actually installing mine as well but I got it put on on friday night and have to say I am 100% impressed and satisfied. Fit and finish was perfect and if I hadnt had to take off my trigger guard and mod it a little bit the instalation would have taken 30 minutes.

Anyone know where I can get a mag release extension? I want the type that you can hit with your trigger finger with your hand still on the grip. I would prefer to get a polychoke at the same time to save on shipping but it wouldnt be a dealbreaker. I havent had much luck with google. Thanks

I'd like to know too. Thanks