Hello, i'm thinking about picking up a Vepr, and i'm wondering if i should stick to x39 or do the other calibers (.223 and .308 - cant get the 5.45 here) perform that much better? Am i going to get significant extra accuracy out of it to justify the doubled ammo price? Sadly i can only have 3 long rifles for sport in this country so i can't just get all 3 because i want other stuff too, and i can't test them before buying.

Also i'm going to use it mostly for IPSC, 3-gun and short distance (100-200meters) target shooting so the main question is wether another caliber would benefit me in those situations.

Any help is greatly appriciated. TIA

Edited by Agias

I'm mostly going to use this one for competition and do my main shooting/plinking with the 7.62 AKM i already have, so on a second thought ammo price isn't that important, i just wonder if a .223 or a .308 would be THAT much better.

Also, can i put a standard lenght ultimak tri-rail handguard and ultimak gas block on a vepr without much modification?

Edited by Agias

Hmm 20% doesn't sound all that exciting. Am i right in thinking that the 520mm barrel won't perform much differently from the 420mm one either?

And can i use these bulgy .223 mags if i pick the .223 Vepr? I won't mind too much if i can't since i'll have plenty of these instead. While we're at mags, anyone know for sure if the european Veprs take regular AK mags out of the box?

Edited by Agias
Keep in mind that Vepr mags are astronomical in price and darn near impossible to find IME.

Not a concern. Remember i'm eurotrash, the company i buy the vepr from has all the mags i'd ever need and can order more from the factory. Though obviously the price is sliiiightly higher than a surplus AK mag.

Edited by Agias
I'd still like to have some of those answered.

Bulgy .223 mag yay or nay

regular 7.62 ak mag for euro veprs yay or nay

and finally regular AK furniture (minus the buttstock of course) yay or nay.

TIA

The Vepr II in .223 is the most accurate AK ever produced.

I have to agree with TacticalResponse, the Vepr II in .223 is extremely accurate and more so than 5.45 and 7.62 at ranges 200 meters and beyond. Inexpensive Promags work perfectly and are better than modified 5.45 magazines (Promags may not be available in Europe). It is heavy though and hard to find here in the U.S. I suggest a high AK side rail scope mount with a 1.5-4x scope so you can use the iron sights at close-in targets and the scope at longer ranges. This is what I use for serious 3-gun shoots.

Thanks guys that sounds good. I'll go for the .223 then. Now all i want to know is, can i put standard AK handguards or an ultimak rail handguard on? I don't mind modification either as long as i can switch back to the standard one.

Also, i keep hearing the term Vepr II. What does the II refer to? Is this the standard vepr, but with the polymer furniture?

Thanks guys that sounds good. I'll go for the .223 then. Now all i want to know is, can i put standard AK handguards or an ultimak rail handguard on? I don't mind modification either as long as i can switch back to the standard one.

Also, i keep hearing the term Vepr II. What does the II refer to? Is this the standard vepr, but with the polymer furniture?

The Vepr II has a 20.5 inch long barrel. Its not a carbine.

• 2 weeks later...