Just converted Saiga x39

For those of you who are considering the conversion, but hesitant on the procedure, just go ahead and do it.

My Saiga had the pistol grip nut already cut out on the receiver.

It was not all that difficult, and took me about 2 hours start to finish.

I bought all my conversion parts from Dinzag, and also the bullet guide and pistol grip nut.

Tapco G2 trigger set, stock, SAW pistol grip, Galil Hand Gaurds.

The bullet guide was straight forward, nothing to it. Take your time, measure and mock it up a few times before drilling the hole, use a drill press! When tapping the hole, like others have said, use the drill press to hold the tap, TURN DRILL HEAD BY HAND, then BACK IT OUT BY HAND.

Took it out to the range, and did a function check. 200 rounds later, worked flawlessly the entire time.

Completed Conversion

post-14154-1230006610_thumb.jpg

Close up of Stock, and Grip

post-14154-1230006623_thumb.jpg

Close up of Bullet Guide

post-14154-1230006634_thumb.jpg

Be-u-tee-full

Good job, like the bullet guide work.

What did you use for retaining the FCG pins?

Frosty

Thank You! It's now become one of my favorite rifles.

Dinzag sells a retaining plate that is anchored by he safety lever, then slips into place for the trigger and hammer pins.

I am planning on putting on an ar mag adapter for my 223 and they claim a bullet guide is not necessary. If I do the pistol grip conversion myself can I put the parts in and get them tig welded by a welder? Or does it require that a gunsmith has to do the conversion and then weld the holes?

If you are talking about the pistol grip conversion for the Saigas, you can do it yourself. You can have someone fill in the holes with a welder, or just buy platic caps that look like the end of a rivet to cover the holes up with. I boight all the required items for my conversion from Dinzag, one of the advertisers on this forum.

As for the AR mag adapter, I am not familiar with how the installation goes on there, mine is a 7.62x39 Saiga.

hmmm. This will be the last item I do in the conversion process. I have no access to a drill press. I was thinking that I could drill with a hand held drill. What is it about the process that necessitates a drill press?

Basically to drill it in straight.

I suppose that you can do it by hand, but make sure it is straight, or the bullet guide won't work properly, at least if you buy the one from Dinzagarms.

The bullet guide is held in with the screw, and if it is even canted to a side just a little bit, it will protrude above the bullet guide plate, and the bolt will not go into battery. The bottom edge of the bolt may hang up on the head of the screw if it is not in straight.

Just remember drilling it is a one shot deal. If you screw up, you will have to find another way to secure the bullet guide. I have seen pictures of people who FUBAR'd drilling the hole in straight, and used JB weld to hold it in place.

You can also use the Surefire mags for Saiga, and not use the bullet guide.

hmmm. This will be the last item I do in the conversion process. I have no access to a drill press. I was thinking that I could drill with a hand held drill. What is it about the process that necessitates a drill press?

I suppose that you can do it by hand, but make sure it is straight, or the bullet guide won't work properly, at least if you buy the one from Dinzagarms.

The bullet guide is held in with the screw, and if it is even canted to a side just a little bit, it will protrude above the bullet guide plate, and the bolt will not go into battery. The bottom edge of the bolt may hang up on the head of the screw if it is not in straight.

Just remember drilling it is a one shot deal. If you screw up, you will have to find another way to secure the bullet guide. I have seen pictures of people who FUBAR'd drilling the hole in straight, and used JB weld to hold it in place.

Try to get the hole straight as possible. If it's off a bit you can open the hole in the bullet guide a little. What happend to me was the drill bit walked a little towards the chamber. All I did was file the front side (the part that dives under the chamber) untill it fit. Feeds and fits just fine. I ran into an issue while trying to get the gas piston out. That was a bitch.

Edited by SJgunguy24
  • 5 months later...

Try to get the hole straight as possible. If it's off a bit you can open the hole in the bullet guide a little. What happend to me was the drill bit walked a little towards the chamber. All I did was file the front side (the part that dives under the chamber) untill it fit. Feeds and fits just fine. I ran into an issue while trying to get the gas piston out. That was a bitch.

I didnt use a drill press either. Make sure you get a good divot with your centerpunch and eyeball your drill in straight and you should be fine. I had to use a tap socket though, my tap handle wouldnt clear.

I am planning on putting on an ar mag adapter for my 223 and they claim a bullet guide is not necessary.

The part of the adapter that goes in the gun has a lip that will act as a bullet guide.

If I do the pistol grip conversion myself can I put the parts in and get them tig welded by a welder? Or does it require that a gunsmith has to do the conversion and then weld the holes?

You can do the conversion yourself. Nothing needs to be welded unless you want to close up the holes in the receiver.

I am planning on putting on an ar mag adapter for my 223 and they claim a bullet guide is not necessary.

The part of the adapter that goes in the gun has a lip that will act as a bullet guide.

If I do the pistol grip conversion myself can I put the parts in and get them tig welded by a welder? Or does it require that a gunsmith has to do the conversion and then weld the holes?

You can do the conversion yourself. Nothing needs to be welded unless you want to close up the holes in the receiver.

Dinzag has some plastic plugs for the receiver holes, they work great.