First report IT WORKS RALLY WELL!

:haha: :haha:

Well I took the Siaga 16" .223 on my cross chest single point sling, and 100 rounds Barnaul Golden Bear 62 grn OTBT loaded in four Promag Saiga specific mags into my daughters woods behind her house. I didn't bother with a target yet, as I am putting a 1X red/green dot on it when I get home. I just wanted to see how it functions and about where it was shooting. The factory certificate says it was factory set at 100 meters. I thought, "Yah, right!"

It was dead on! Standing, leaning against a tree, I was bouncing large pine cones, pieces of wood, and dirt clogs at 75 to 100 yards with no adjustment (on the 100 meter setting), dead on hold (high 6 o'clock)! At 25 yards on a 6 o'clock hold, it would hit just in front at the bottom edge, which is about right (2.2 CM below POI) according to the old 25 meter M16 battle sighting with the 0-2 yard aperture. Dead center hold on even small pine cones made them disappear!

The Pro-Mag mags functioned flawlessly, and were no problem to lock in loaded with bolt closed. I LOVED the Tapco T6 Intrafuse with SAW grip. It is straight back enough to give a great cheek weld, With the stock opened to the third click, it fit perfect, my right elbow tucked in tight against my trunk of my torso and the left elbow close in, too, in good CQB stance. Perfect feel, popped up into stance naturally, high ready, low ready, snap shots. Excellent for "slicing the pie" entries, etc. I am VERY impressed! (If you haven't guessed, I am retired LE and ex-Army and Air Force SP)

You know, I love my M4gery with its 1/7 chrome lined Wilson barrel and reflex sight. Considering how much it cost to put together, and no advantage that I can see for the house/farm, I think it will generally reside in the safe, along with my Underwood M1 carbine.

I have had various AKs: a Poly Tech 20 years ago, a Yugo and and several Romanians in the last couple years. The Poly Tech was awesome, but it was history many years ago. The Yugo underfolder, while very well done on a Nodak Spud receiver, was too heavy for what it was. The WASRs were really a good buy for the buck, but not finished like the others and only moderate accurate.

This Saiga is AWESOME. Izhmash Saiga is a TRUE AK, well made, well finished, and seems to be very accurate compared to the 7.62x39s I had. GREAT value for the dollar. As I said in an earlier post, I like the 5.56 Saiga because I also have the M4. Once things get crazy after the inauguration, I think foriegn ammo will be blocked and 7.62x39s will get VERY expensive to shoot and even load for.

Anyway, enough of the sermon!

MySaiga223.jpg

Peace through superior firepower, and a position of superior tactical advantage!

Edited by imarangemaster

Geeze... Sorry you had such an awful first experience with your Saiga.... :lolol:

Great "range" report! Sounds like another satisfied Saiga owner. I am probably going to be picking up a .223 Saiga in a week or so.... I found one with a 21" barrel for $320 and I think that is worth the price.

Now that you mention it, I would LOVE to pick up another Saiga, probably .308! Alas, they are scarcer than hens teeth, at least at a non hysteria price!

I am absolutely amazed how inexpensive the Saigas are compared to Romanians, etc. The quality is light years ahead. Before I saw this one in the shop last month, however, I was as ignorant as the rest of the masses! Even with Saiga specific mags being more expensive compared to "regular" AK mags, with hysteria prices on magazines now, there is not that much difference.

Now when I get home, I will mount the red/green dot on the low rise KVar clone side mount (which is still somewhere in the US Mail). I picked up a "Truglo" 1x 30mm shotgun scope with see through hinged lens rain covers for $59. With its 4 MOA dot, it should just be a dead on hold to 200 meters. A pard has one on a 3" mag shotgun slug gun, and swears by it.

http://www.truglosights.com/content/produc...traditional.asp

The reflex sight I have on my M4gery would sit too high on the AK.

Edited by imarangemaster

Thanks for the report. I have been wondering about the pro-mags myself. So overall the surefires are made better? But you say they both function 100% right?

I am torn between getting some promags and surefire mags or getting the AR15 magazine adapter. I have never been into ARizing an AK but for some reason I want to do get that AR mag adapter, throw an adjustable stock on it (with pistol grip conversion) and maybe throw an aimpoint on an ultimak.

I was VERY surprised with the accuracy of my .223 saiga. Much better than any 7.62x39 AK I have came across. Once I get my wasr-2 sighted in I will see if a poor made 5.45x39 can compare to a quality .223 AK.

It's great to hear such a positive report from someone who obviously has a range of experience with AK and M-16 types. I'm very happy with my .223 Saiga and with the addition of the Magnolia State Arms AR mag adapter, it should be an ideal SHTF weapon.

Thanks for the report. I have been wondering about the pro-mags myself. So overall the surefires are made better? But you say they both function 100% right?

I am torn between getting some promags and surefire mags or getting the AR15 magazine adapter. I have never been into ARizing an AK but for some reason I want to do get that AR mag adapter, throw an adjustable stock on it (with pistol grip conversion) and maybe throw an aimpoint on an ultimak.

I was VERY surprised with the accuracy of my .223 saiga. Much better than any 7.62x39 AK I have came across. Once I get my wasr-2 sighted in I will see if a poor made 5.45x39 can compare to a quality .223 AK.

Well the Surefires appear to be a little better made, but offer no functional advantage over the Promag. One problem I encountered with the Surefire are large horizontal ribs. They hang up in the mag pouches I have, and hang up on each other if double stacked in the pouch. The Promags are a rounded, subtle waffle pattern and don't have that problem. They slip in and out without problem, even double stacked in the pouch. I will probably use the Surefire in the gun, but the six-pack over the shoulder mag pouch will have Promags in it. A full magazine is no dang good if you can't get it out of the pouch quickly! :cryss:

As for an AR mag adapter, I thought of that, as I have an M4 with plenty of mags also. I guess I am traditional, though, and it seems like blasphemy to use anything but an AK magazine in an AK! Somehow it would feel like cobbling a Chevy starter to put on my Ford! Just my humble opinion. I do think the AR adapter is a great idea, just not for me.

Edited by imarangemaster

I don't plan on running over anything with my car anytime soon but I guess you never know.

I may try the promags. I am waiting for them to start selling them other places besides pro-mag. Once that happens I'm sure the price will go down to ~20$ like most other promags are. Once that happens I would be willing to buy 10 or so. I have been paying 25$ a piece for ak74 mags so I mid as well.