What should I have to prepair for WTSHTF

I am not overley paranoid, but I do believe in preparing for the worst. I was wondering if someone one out there might have a list of things I should have if it all goes south.

Opinions welcome, but I am hoping someone with real knowlege will chime in. for example: How much ammo should a stockpile? How much food for a family of 3? How much water? Should I invest in body armor? What kind of meds should I keep on hand? Is a hamb radio a good investment? I am not talking theory I am seriously trying to prepare. I am hoping I never need this stuff, but I refuse to be one of those dumb asses standing in a mile long line fighting for handouts from our government agencies.(watch footage of hurricane Ike if you don't believe it can happen). So anyway I am lookng for any help. Maybe there is something I have not thought of. DO YOU HAVE A PLAN?

Go to http://zombiehunters.org/forum/ for all the answers to your questions about being prepared for disasters whether natural or manmade. We have alot of fun with it along the way.

There are people on the site who have vast amounts of knowledge on about any subject concerning being prepared and self sufficient.

and Gun owners often wonder why we are thought of as lunatics.

SHTF????????????????

Well... if we are talking natural disaster, the best way of avoiding this is to EVACUATE before said natural disaster hits. If we are talking defending our compound when the black dressed commandos (the nutz call them the national security force) come. Well, just have lil johnny defend the back porch and lil mary the side approach, cant see why a small family couldn't hold out against an assault force. :haha:

It is probably news to you, but there are certain natural disasters that are impossible to avoid by evacuating. Ever hear about Kalifornia evacuating any cities ahead of major earthquakes? No? (By the way, I went through the Northridge quake, the Whittier Narrows quake, the San Fernando quake, and more of the small ones than I can remember). How about all of the folks back east who have been without power (and probably without water, after their pipes froze) for the last week or more? Hear about any of those towns evacuating? No? Why is that?

As for defending your home, I also saw the Rodney King riots from right next door. The business owners and home owners that defended themselves (we're talking firearms here) did OK - the ones who didn't got looted, and a lot of them got burned out, and some of them had family members assaulted or killed.

"Lunatics?" I think that term can be best applied to folks like you, who don't have a clue about even recent American history, apparently don't have a clue about reality, and don't seem to know what the heck they're talking about...

What good are your 400 pounds of foodstuffs when your house is in rubble and you can't get at it, if you happened to survive in the first place. Looting...... one dead looter, or hungry neighbor, in your driveway is probably sufficient as a deterrent. However if they are determined 8 ounces of gas and 1 match in the dark would set you straight for your victory. As for power outages, been there done that, RECENTLY (NE resident speaking).

Anyone else in the military, With any real amount of time outside the wire, want to chime in about the hopelessnes of a handfull of civilians defending a static location against an even half-assed determined breach.

It's hard to be civil when confronted with stupidity. The people in my crew have years "outside the wire" with a little SWAT thrown in. We know that you have to be prepared for natural and man made disasters, wether its a local SHTF or something worse.

We don't bury shit, run around in the woods wearing camo, or are anti-authority. Weapons are just a small part of what being prepared is all about. But I assure you, a crowd of rabble won't last long vs. equipped, trained, prepared people with a plan. And that's what its all about.

If you don't don't know anything about a subject, keep your mouth shut. All you're doing is showing your ass and not contributing anything to the conversation.

And I apologize that I let that guy set me off like that. It really torques me when someone like yourself asks a perfectly legitimate question and gets static from someone in return. Like Paladin said, it's hard to be civil when confronted with stupidity.

And I apologize that I let that guy set me off like that. It really torques me when someone like yourself asks a perfectly legitimate question and gets static from someone in return. Like Paladin said, it's hard to be civil when confronted with stupidity.

agreed,

That asshat Pointer gave NOTHING to this thread. These guys are trying to have a discussion if you have nothing positive to contribute then mind your own business pointy.

That asshole just shows up on this forum periodically to start trouble.

Edited by Bean.223

Regardless of anyone's opinion about the need, I find it just gives me peace of mind knowing that my existence will never depend on Wal-mart or Home Depot opening up the next day. Its not like its money wasted. Its all goods that I will use whether the SHTF or not.

parts back home (where I am from, is out still, as expected - we dont call it the "twilight zone" for nothing) are still without power, week and a half or better into it, and i hear vermont is looking at after new years in parts. Is that a SHTF scenario? Been through it before, not a problem, even when it wasnt pleasant for 3 weeks...

The key thing, to answer the first question, in general, I think, is having this ----

friends, family, and places that you trust without question, that you all can universally rely on. If you cannot pool your recources and such with those that you trust, you are going to be in a real bad spot.......that guy that you hate across the street? or around the corner? they will be your best friend, usually, in a tight spot, if only for a short time.

and +1 on what DogMan said - for real -

/////////////////////////DogMan Posted Today, 09:16 PM Regardless of anyone's opinion about the need, I find it just gives me peace of mind knowing that my existence will never depend on Wal-mart or Home Depot opening up the next day. Its not like its money wasted. Its all goods that I will use whether the SHTF or not./

nice avatar by the way, your dog doesnt like the camera does he, I gather?

(sorry, wouldnt paste or quote over, in odd edit window to this post)

Heck, I figured that chainsaw was a new field expedient entry tool some grunt in the Snadbox came up with! Did you notice it is mounted to a SDMR (Squad Designated Marksman Rifle) rather than a stock M16? That has to play havoc on the optics!!! Maybe it is used to cut holes in walls to shoot the SDMR through without being seen :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MREs are a great idea, both for the home and for the car (especially if you live in a cold and/or rural area). They're vermin-proof and they last just short of forever. If you or someone you know has base access, the Commissary often carries MREs ($7.33 each, pretty hefty for a single high-calorie meal but well worth it when you need them). I always keep a few in my car, as well as a gallon of water, a couple of rubber bands and some extra MRE heaters. If it's winter and you go flying off the road into a ditch, it's nice to have water, and be able to drink it. Just activate two MRE heaters (use a bit of snow, it may not be potable but it'll still work to activate the heater) inside their meal bags, then rubber band them, heater bag and all, to the outside of the frozen bottle of water. Just make sure you put one of the heaters near the neck so you can pour from it into your canteen.

I usually keep about 3 months of nonperishable food around, plus about 50 MREs (At least 16 days' worth for one person, although if you're not particularly active you can get away with only eating one or two a day, since each contain 1200-1300 calories). Canned food, jerky, nuts, even some bulk candy are good to keep around; look for things with good energy density and protein. Don't forget vital nutrient like vitamin C and calcium. MREs do a good job providing essential nutrients, but if your first line of defense (foodwise) is canned food, keep an eye out to make sure you don't give yourself scurvy. Canned citrus fruit lasts a while; I like keeping a lot of canned soup, beans, and chili too. If you're going to keep MREs around, it'd be a good idea to buy at least one of each available menu number to start off with; that way you and your family can find out which types you like and which you don't before buying in large quantities. MREs generate a lot of garbage, so make sure you have some plan in place for garbage disposal (a shovel works fine if the ground isn't too cold :P).

As for weapons/ammo, to each their own. It seems wise to keep at least one .22-caliber rifle around; ammunition is inexpensive enough to stock up on the cheap. As for higher-caliber weapon, if you're going to keep lots of ammo around for years without using it, military surplus is the way to go. Corrosively-primed foreign crap isn't good for your gun, but it's cheap and lasts close to forever. If you're ever in a situation that requires you to use it, chances are that possible corrosion won't be your primary concern (anyway, if you clean the weapon thoroughly at the next opportunity, it won't be an issue). Keep plenty of gun-cleaning supplies around for each of your weapons (extra brushes, cleaning rods, LOTS of patches, solvent and oil). If you plan to keep commercial ammo around for a while, visit a military surplus store and buy some ammo cans. Test each can to see if its seal is intact (just open it, if you hear the pressure equalize, the seal's fine), then pack your ammo into the cans with some desiccant (you can purchase packs of desiccant gel at ammunitiontogo.com, probably can be found other places). It won't make your ammo last forever, but it should extend shelf life, especially if you keep the cans sealed.

Lots of crap can be stored in ammo cans; along with the other crap in my car, I keep a change of clothes (with a bunch of extra socks, and an extra pair of shoes mashed down at the bottom) in one can and fire starting supplies, a few extra folding knives, a compass and some other miscellaneous outdoorsy junk in another can.

There are lots of other things you can do to prepare for whatever may come your way, these are just some of the things I've done. Just don't get your heart set on one particular scenario; try to make sure as many as possible of the things you do help prepare you for as many outcomes as possible. Spending thousands of dollars loading up on guns and ammo might help you in the event of (Pick one: massive rioting, zombie holocaust, flood of refugees due to devastation, distant nuclear strike, institution of martial law, foreign invasion), but probably isn't going to do you much good in the event of (pick one: brief power outage, severe localized storm damage, minor rioting, nearby nuclear strike [crap, we're dead anyway], house fire, encroaching wildfires, fighter plane crashing into your suburban home).

Take account of where you live and what is most likely to befall you; plan for events based on your perceived likelihood of a given event occurring. Whether the result is responsible preparation or delusional paranoia is up to you and those who think they should judge you :D

Hope that first 0.02% of a comprehensive survival guide helped.

Cheers,

Shandlanos

Once you decide what you want to prepare for, then go in that direction.

I have stored freeze dried foods,(#10 cans), canned foods, bottled liquids,

(juice, water, pop), guns, ammo, medical supplies, more guns,

propane, batteries, wine, rum, candles, flashlights, cooking stove, blankets,

coats, baby stuff, etc, etc. I will keep adding when I can.

There are several survivalist forums out there. ZS is my favorite.

So far, I have given food, drinks, and clothes to a family that would have gone without.

One mans shtf is not always the same as anothers.

Oh, By the way...

Get generic Immodium (anti diarrheal) from Walmart in 100 count bulk cheap. Unsanitary conditions of a societal break- down and bad water can cause BAD runs (been there, that why I caution on stored water)!

Antibiotics, possible source.

You can get Penicillin, Amoxicillin, Tetracycline, and Cephlexine (Keflex) online from Vet supply houses W/O prescription FOR ANIMAL USE ONLY (legal disclaimer) Go to Amazon.com and type in"Fishcillin", "Fishcycline" "Fishmox" Fishflex" etc. We had a kennel business and bought bottles of 100-500 to have on hand. WHile I have excellent insurance and didn't need them, I found they were identical to what were were getting with out $5 co-pay on the insurance. :unsure:

Excellent info about the medicine. Do you have any idea on the shelf life of these products?

Gentlemen,

Let's at least be civil to each other.

The most likely scenario is most civil disturbance (not total SHTF), earthquake of non-evacuatable disorder.

I have 20 years full time LE (most in Kalifornia) and five military. After retiring, I taught History in N Central Kalifornia, then relocated back to Illinois 1 1/2 years ago. I now teach American Government and Civics in a North st; Louis "hood" high school. Civil disorder is just under the surface in many large metro areas. Guns and gangs are in our schools more than you know. I had a freshman girl arrested with a loaded .25 Auto (uninformed choice on her part) in her purse after she left my class. Most students won't stand for the pledge of allegiance or the National Anthem. I had several students tell me to my face that they hoped Obama lost so they could "riot like Watts"!

I live on 5 acres out in the country (farm land and woods) with several other neighbors within a half mile. We network very well, and look out for each other. If it did melt down for some reason, it would probably be limited, but roving bands showed them selves after Katrina. Probably being alert and just doing what I did in Kalifornia with the car load of goblins would be sufficient. Being present and showing "presence" instead of fear.

I have met some nutbags that would live for the opportunity to blast away at raving insurrectionists. Not my style. "Si vis pacem, para bellum" Sun Tzu in "Art of War" said the best battle is the one you win without ever having to fight, like my confrontation with the goblins in my yard. Not a shot was fired, and the threat ceased. If it had escalated, I was prepared to terminate any lethal threat if left no alternative. It was unnecessary, no paperwork, no police, no lawsuits.

In my career, I have been shot at, and been in numerous other lethal confrontations (high risk warrants, assaults, and raids), and they are not even the slightest bit fun. Only an idiot likes almost being killed or killing. I wheeze permanently because a Hells Angle, three striker who had done time for murder (but was out on parole) tried to strangle me on a traffic stop and crushed my larynx. (I won, he lost) It has been ten years since I retired and the nightmares are only half a dozen times a year or so now. This is not a "been there, done that" post, but rather a statement of realities.

I would not hesitate to use the Saiga 223 (that has now replaced the carbine as my home/farm gun) to defend myself or loved ones, but prefer to overcome by winning before it is fought. Most important is not weaponry, though. It is the everyday needs that the reasonable members of this list have suggested.

Now let's all get along and be respectful of each other. I see enough disrespect in my students ever day to last a lifetime. I would not care for us to disrespect each other here.

All very well said.

I would like to further add that most people jumping on the survival bandwagon or even a lot of long time survival nuts (Like JWR of SurvivalBlog) possess a mental picture of survivalism that in all reality requires that one be independently wealthy to properly prepare. It didn't take me a long time to throw my hands up in frustration reading the endless 'buy this' articles and blog posts. Most of us do not have tens of thousands of dollars to buy a 20 acre sustainable living retreat in the midwest. The old school way of ensuring one's survival is to find a powerful (rich) person or organization and find a way to make their survival dependent on yours. Network your butt off and market your skills until you are so ingrained in other people's lives that other folks will willingly help keep you alive and prospering because it is in their best interest to do so. This idea is not new, although it has gone through a lot of qualitative and quantitative changes so we don't really recognize it for what it is today.

The new part that will emerge if TSHTF is a localized dependency structure, rather than globalized. A return to small, autonomous towns in other words. Again, the best thing you can do is invest in yourself and network. Knowing the right people and possessing the right skills will be invaluable, and actually already is today.

This is all very good info. I appreciate the insight. Alot of these things I did not think about. Vitamins being one of them. These are are affortable items to stock up on. Like I said bfore I have about four acres to work with. We live in torando alley so all my shit could be gone with one storm. Not to mention half the town. I do not live in a large city so no madness to escape from. We are relitivley insulated, but this also means that we are for away from resources. No rail and no trucking and we are screwed. That being said I am trying to look at all the angles wether it be natural disaster or man made.

I hunt quite a bit and my wife cans food (meat and veggies from our garden), canned food last a very long time. If I would have to guess there is enough food in my basement to last over a year, and thats not eating badly, thats eating well proportioned balanced meals.

DH,

Are you sure you're a Democrat! :haha:

I hunt quite a bit and my wife cans food (meat and veggies from our garden), canned food last a very long time. If I would have to guess there is enough food in my basement to last over a year, and thats not eating badly, thats eating well proportioned balanced meals.

DH, Are you sure you're a Democrat! :haha:

Of course he is! Most Democrats are are unemployed liars!

Just take a look!

hmmm pretty funny if you google ..... Deer cunt 1962 it comes up with a single trashy hobo that likes going on long walks with his pup,,, where is his damn veggie eating hag of a wife oh wait it says single... ok ok maybe a bit too harsh and im a newbie hmmm nahhh fuck you deer cunt.

+1 on the MRE's. They are not your grandaddy's rations anymore. Some are real good. My back-pack is always ready for the power to go out. Food, water packs, crank radio-light-cell charger, tab stove with lots of tabs water purification tabs, ect. I eat the MRE's every now and then and replace the old stock. I save the meal for the pack and eat the rest of the fluff while watching tv. There is nothing wrong with being prepaired for what "YOU" might think is coming "YOUR" way.It's about making you and your family safe.

I have researched a lot of SHTF situations, but admittedly have only lived through one (the LA Riots). I suggest you do the research, because most self-proclaimed survivalists and theorists seem to have it wrong.

It seems that there are 2 SHTF scenarios you must plan for;

1) SHORT-TERM EVENT = This includes natural disasters like Katrina or a major earthquake, and man-made events like riots and terror attacks. This is the easy one to prepare for.

a) PLANNING: Communications can go out fast during one of these events, especially cell phones. Get your family together first. Designate a family meeting site, and a backup meeting site if members cant get to the main one. designate a family member that lives far away to coordinate communications for your family (EG. everyone call grandma to report status if cell phones are out). Family members should know how to fight a fire and basic first aid, and everyone should have their own bug-out bag.

B) BUGGING OUT: A bug-out bag, AK in the car with about 10 charged mags ,and concealed pistol. Lots of extra gas for escape by car (gas stations may be dry or without power and you will sit in traffic for many hours), enough cash to make it to alternative living quarters. Many people cant bug-out because of this, look at every hurricane evacuation. This is the safest option if you hold the value of your lives over the value of your possessions. For natural disasters, bugging out seems to be the best.

c) DIGGING IN: An AK/AR for every able member of the household, and at least 1000 rounds of ammo. The looters will come if the event is drastic enough. I remember a Korean jewelry store owner defending his business from looters with an AR and a Barretta 92 during the LA riots. He had to abandon his position when he ran out of ammo, after firing HUNDREDS OF ROUNDS! You will need a generator, food and clean water - of course, this will attract attention and you may have to defend it, as we saw during katrina. Plywood / sandbags to board windows and make your position defensible. Someone has to stay "on watch" at night. Have plenty of fire extinguishers in case they try to burn you out (this often happens during riots). This option is not preferable, but in the case of a riot, it will be safer to dig-in than to try to escape (remember Reginald Denny).

2) LONG-TERM EVENT = This includes economic collapse, political instability, earth changing natural event, or invasion. This one is hard to prepare for and real events seem to show that even people who tried to prepare, prepared wrong. One mistake seems to be dedicating too much preparation to guns. Look at FERFALS writings during the Argentine economic collapse; in retrospect, he found it was silly to have spent so much on guns and ammo, when generators, body armor, jewelry to trade for services, water purification, and highly desirable job skills were much more important. During a long term event, you still have to go about your life, but crime will be very high and the government will be very oppressive. Concealable pistols and vests will get you to work safe and unnoticed. Increased awareness will keep you from being cornered, car jacked, or arrested. I read some material from a guy who lived through the transfer of power in South Africa too, who's daughter was brutally raped by black activists - his advise to anyone in a similar SHTF situation is to leave everything and GET THE FOCK OUT! During the collapse of the Soviet Union, those who took advantage of a government education and took the time to learn foreign languages were able to leave and live great lives somewhere else. Bottom line, unemployment will be very high, resources will be very scarce, government will be very bad, crime will be very high, Banks will still be around to foreclose homes, bill collectors still very active, cops that haven't been paid for 4 months going through your wallet - for a long-term SHTF, AKs should be way down on your list of needs.

What should I have to prepair for WTSHTF

Toilet Paper!

I have decided that the one thing I missed the most when away from civilization for a month at a time was real,honest to goodness,charmin(no cheap stuff) TOILET PAPER!!

I have devised a system where I take the cardboard out of the roll and then stuff them into vacuum sealer bags and squish them flat and airtight with my foodsaver.

I have read the posts as much a I could before my eyes gave but I don't believe I saw anyone mention a CB or Ham radio. I spent most of my life in the south on the Gulf Coast and a few years back when Katrina shut our part of the country down.... the one thing I was glad to have was a CB. It was a lot of help as all forms of 2 way communication were wiped out for a few days. In this day and age we take our cell phones for granted but when systems are down because the back up batteries are dead this was the best way to get help.

I have researched a lot of SHTF situations, but admittedly have only lived through one (the LA Riots). I suggest you do the research, because most self-proclaimed survivalists and theorists seem to have it wrong.

It seems that there are 2 SHTF scenarios you must plan for;

1) SHORT-TERM EVENT = This includes natural disasters like Katrina or a major earthquake, and man-made events like riots and terror attacks. This is the easy one to prepare for.

a) PLANNING: Communications can go out fast during one of these events, especially cell phones. Get your family together first. Designate a family meeting site, and a backup meeting site if members cant get to the main one. designate a family member that lives far away to coordinate communications for your family (EG. everyone call grandma to report status if cell phones are out). Family members should know how to fight a fire and basic first aid, and everyone should have their own bug-out bag.

B) BUGGING OUT: A bug-out bag, AK in the car with about 10 charged mags ,and concealed pistol. Lots of extra gas for escape by car (gas stations may be dry or without power and you will sit in traffic for many hours), enough cash to make it to alternative living quarters. Many people cant bug-out because of this, look at every hurricane evacuation. This is the safest option if you hold the value of your lives over the value of your possessions. For natural disasters, bugging out seems to be the best.

c) DIGGING IN: An AK/AR for every able member of the household, and at least 1000 rounds of ammo. The looters will come if the event is drastic enough. I remember a Korean jewelry store owner defending his business from looters with an AR and a Barretta 92 during the LA riots. He had to abandon his position when he ran out of ammo, after firing HUNDREDS OF ROUNDS! You will need a generator, food and clean water - of course, this will attract attention and you may have to defend it, as we saw during katrina. Plywood / sandbags to board windows and make your position defensible. Someone has to stay "on watch" at night. Have plenty of fire extinguishers in case they try to burn you out (this often happens during riots). This option is not preferable, but in the case of a riot, it will be safer to dig-in than to try to escape (remember Reginald Denny).

2) LONG-TERM EVENT = This includes economic collapse, political instability, earth changing natural event, or invasion. This one is hard to prepare for and real events seem to show that even people who tried to prepare, prepared wrong. One mistake seems to be dedicating too much preparation to guns. Look at FERFALS writings during the Argentine economic collapse; in retrospect, he found it was silly to have spent so much on guns and ammo, when generators, body armor, jewelry to trade for services, water purification, and highly desirable job skills were much more important. During a long term event, you still have to go about your life, but crime will be very high and the government will be very oppressive. Concealable pistols and vests will get you to work safe and unnoticed. Increased awareness will keep you from being cornered, car jacked, or arrested. I read some material from a guy who lived through the transfer of power in South Africa too, who's daughter was brutally raped by black activists - his advise to anyone in a similar SHTF situation is to leave everything and GET THE FOCK OUT! During the collapse of the Soviet Union, those who took advantage of a government education and took the time to learn foreign languages were able to leave and live great lives somewhere else. Bottom line, unemployment will be very high, resources will be very scarce, government will be very bad, crime will be very high, Banks will still be around to foreclose homes, bill collectors still very active, cops that haven't been paid for 4 months going through your wallet - for a long-term SHTF, AKs should be way down on your list of needs.

I agree. Food and lots of it! Water purification tablets, immodium, FUEL!! for tractors and cars or cycles and generator, generator ( a really nice one that will power almost everything can be picked up on the cheap from military surplus), thanks for the antibiotics where to get info. Seeds and if you have the room, fruit and nut trees. A one acre clover patch near water will attract meat sources. Recipies for wild game (if applicable as is some of the rest), Solar powered motion detectors for the deterrent of sneaking critters with 8oz of gas, a good dog is your second best alarm (and first line of defence). And don't forget toothpaste and tooth brushes!

Edited by renegadebuck
I have read the posts as much a I could before my eyes gave but I don't believe I saw anyone mention a CB or Ham radio. I spent most of my life in the south on the Gulf Coast and a few years back when Katrina shut our part of the country down.... the one thing I was glad to have was a CB. It was a lot of help as all forms of 2 way communication were wiped out for a few days. In this day and age we take our cell phones for granted but when systems are down because the back up batteries are dead this was the best way to get help.

Absolutely!

There is nothing more important then communications, not even firearms. Cellular will be toast quickly, thought we have found that we had been luck with SMS during Katrina then Voice.

But hams are the pros at getting communications back up after and during (!) a disaster. Getting your Ham license is much easier then it used to be. I have been a Ham since 1986, and urge you to consider it.

If you do not want to make the effort to become licensed, stick to CB. Hams will not talk to you, unless you are dieing, and then not much if you are unlicensed.

Absolutely!

There is nothing more important then communications, not even firearms. Cellular will be toast quickly, thought we have found that we had been luck with SMS during Katrina then Voice.

But hams are the pros at getting communications back up after and during (!) a disaster. Getting your Ham license is much easier then it used to be. I have been a Ham since 1986, and urge you to consider it.

If you do not want to make the effort to become licensed, stick to CB. Hams will not talk to you, unless you are dieing, and then not much if you are unlicensed.

Who in the hell would you want to talk to anyway?

I am going Tarzan when this society implodes,LOL

Loincloth,Tiretread sandals and an AK like every other impoverished monkey who's figured out how to survive in a place with no infrastructure and heavy competition for resources ;)