No weld receiver cover peep sight.

I just typed this up for another thread but figured I would post it here in case anyone else was interested

Here is the rear peep sight I rigged up.

I didn't come up with this idea. I found someone else that did this and just did it to my gun.

Like I said, it seems pretty solid and no welding was required.

I picked up a williams peep sight. I took out the smaller aperture so it doesn't get knocked around in my safe. Its a bit like the flip style A2 sight in the fact there are big and little apertures.

I then tapped the holes for an 8-32 bolt.

p1040716fp2.jpg

Then using the base as a template I drilled two holes in the top receiver. I smoothed the edges with a file and then permablued the exposed metal. Its under the sight base so cosmetically its a moot point.

p1040714ty7.jpg

I then threaded two lock-tighted bolts through the receiver cover and into the sight base. I had to grind down the length of the screws a bit.

p1040712mi4.jpg

The sight installed on the cover with the smaller aperture removed. The curvature of the sight base matches the receiver cover well.

p1040711cr2.jpg

Receiver cover mounted on the rifle. It seems very sturdy, but I haven't shot it yet to see how well it holds a zero.

p1040719df7.jpg

View from the peep hole. See how it matches the receiver curve.

p1040724jc5.jpg

Front sight pin through the rear sight. I am going to ditch the rear sight blade in favor of a home grown larue irondot so as to co-witness the sights.

p1040720fv3.jpg

Once again this is not my idea, I merely copied something I had seen elsewhere.

Edited by paternoster2012

The rear sight blade is still in it right now.

Im planning on putting a burris fast fire on there someday to co-witness the sights.

However, I'm in the process of enlisting in the mil so it will most likely be a long while until I get around to do that.

Future is a bit cloudy at the moment haha

What did you do with the original rear sight. Just pull the pin out and take it off?
  • 1 month later...

Yes, nice idea and one that I think would benefit from the dust cover stability mods that have recently been posted over at the AK Forum.

Have you tried it to see how well, if at all, it works with the factory front sights height...

I admit, it looks like it might work well from the rear of the rifle!

Have you been able to test this out? Does it hold zero, etc?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Mario

Yes, nice idea and one that I think would benefit from the dust cover stability mods that have recently been posted over at the AK Forum.

Have you tried it to see how well, if at all, it works with the factory front sights height...

"Dust cover stability" is only an issue when mounting scopes and optics like the Aimpoint or ACOG or similar.

Iron sights, like the Williams unit referenced here and the H&K type do not weigh enough to make the dust cover move around.

Edited by nalioth

"Dust cover stability" is only an issue when mounting scopes and optics like the Aimpoint or ACOG or similar.

Iron sights, like the Williams unit referenced here and the H&K type do not weigh enough to make the dust cover move around.

No, they don't ... but the repeatability of the dust cover installation is an issue. As the dust cover wears in it will be a problem.

Just ask many of the Krebs' AK owners that have owned their's for a while. They had a thread about it on one of the AK boards a while ago.

The Valmet, the Galil and the Polytech/Norinco Hunters all went to mechanical lengths to address this problem.

But, you could know something that these fine companies don't... :haha:

No, they don't ... but the repeatability of the dust cover installation is an issue. As the dust cover wears in it will be a problem.

Just ask many of the Krebs' AK owners that have owned their's for a while. They had a thread about it on one of the AK boards a while ago.

The Valmet, the Galil and the Polytech/Norinco Hunters all went to mechanical lengths to address this problem.

But, you could know something that these fine companies don't... :haha:

Wears in? I'd suggest that when your dust cover "wears in", it's time to buy a new one.

Sorry, but I think you're inhaling car fumes or something.

I also think there is more than one reason for the manufacturers to reinforce their dust covers.

I also know that Saiga dust covers are thicker than most other dust covers I've seen.

Edited by nalioth

Remember how tight your dust cover was when you first got it and how hard it was to install?

Notice how it is not so hard to install now, well that is wear.

As these parts wear together mechanical zero will change with dustcover mounted sights, unless some effort is made to better mechanically locate the dust cover. The Galil and the Hunter did it with a small ledge at the rear of the frame.

The sights are a good idea, but would benefit from a better mechanically located dustcover.

But, really, you know all this, right? :rolleyes:

Remember how tight your dust cover was when you first got it and how hard it was to install?

As these parts wear together mechanical zero will change with dustcover mounted sights, unless some effort is made to better mechanically locate the dust cover. The Galil and the Hunter did it with a small ledge at the rear of the frame.

The sights are a good idea, but would benefit from a better mechanically located dustcover.

But, really, you know all this, right? :rolleyes:

I know that what you're talking about is probably gonna go unseen by most.

This setup in this thread is just fine for the casual user.

If you're gonna go out and practice for TEOTWAWKI (3-gun, etc), I'd suggest this mod with the appropriately enhanced dust cover or go with a Krink type hinged dust cover.

The Type 1 Norinco Hunter I have uses two screws at the rear sides of the dust cover to hold it in place.

While I've got you here, why don't Tromix or Red Jacket reinforce their dust covers when they use the H&K sights?

If you really think what is generally a very tiny movement of the dust cover is all that critical (for an iron sight), I'd suggest waiting for the release of the Tech Sight, which doesn't depend on dust cover rigidity.

http://www.tech-sights.com/

• 2 years later...

Sorry for the necro. Has anyone else done this? About where do you need to set your sights? I'm considering using one of the WGOS sight bases, but they seem to be a bit lower set than the WGRS-DISC base and I'm concerned it might not go high enough.

WGOS-Medium sight base

154976.jpg

vs. proven model:

WGRS-DISC

863449.jpg