I just got a gang mold it for casting harder 00 buck shot..... Even though it casts 20 at a time it's still really really painfully slow.

I cast 20 lbs of buckshot and had to cut each spur off with a set of jewelers snips (no bevel on the edge so they cut cleaner).. If my math is right I made 2600 pellets or so, and my hand is killing me.

I played around with the alloy a bit, I made some that are REALLY hard... Not quite sure whats best. I think Remington buck is just soft, swaged lead.. Hornady is a harder alloy but still swaged.

So I'm guessing my buckshot is harder than either due to being cast, but also not quite as round because of the spur cut off.

IMG_5087.jpg

Its made by a company called Sharp shooter USA and does 20 in two rows of 10 each throw. there is a lot of casting dags/waste but it just goes back into the pot. i use an old potbelly stove outside, i found it far better than my gass ring as it produces more heat and i do a big quantity each time.

what are you using?

What do you know I am using the same mold... I just use a leak (err I mean lee) bottom pour, works well.

It's slow but they make fairly good shot. I do about 50+ lbs at a time and then cut the spurs and waste off and start again.

I'm thinking of using a tumbler to make them a little more round.

a while back i saw set up here the shot was made more round by putting one layer of it in a flat based pan then a round steel plate the same size as the pan was lowered into the pan attached to the chuck of a drill press, the rotation and pressing quickly made all the shot a uniform size. im not good at describing things so i hope that makes sense. i like my shot to spread a bit so im not worried if they are slightly different sizes.

Lead Shot deforming and producing a lot of turbulence is why it runs out of juice so fast.Hard shot that is consistent and smooth will maintain it's velocity over a longer range.Hard shot with some buffer can add 15 yards to the effective range of a shotgun.

Where can you find that mould? My father has a large amount of linotype (read as very hard) and it would make some great buckshot. I use a Lee bottom pour spout for my black powder bullet and ball casting.

this is the email or the guy who makes and sells them. skiesunlimited@att.net i found him very helpful and easy to deal with.

Yeah that or ebay.

Even with welding gloves on the handles get really hot after awhile (I made 20 lbs in one sitting so I was asking for it).

I'm trying to come up with a way to trim them off without having to handle each pellet. It takes about 60lbs of lead and an hour to cast 20lbs of buckshot, and maybe four or more to cut the pellets off the stems. I'm thinking that maybe if I left the spurs on a quick tumbling would break the shot off from the spurs.