conversion parts

What do you intend to secure those two pins with?

Retaining plate or e-clips are two options.

Here is the conversion I just completed. http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/saiga/saiga-1.htm

i know about that, i mean left over parts from dissassembly. and btw, my 762 doesnt have the BHO, is that commen?

dont know about common but my 7.62 and .223 both have bho..

Once you tear out all the old trigger parts, there are a couple you should keep. First is the big hammer spring and the other is the tiny disconnector spring. All the other junk can get tossed. When I took my Saiga apart for the conversion, I kept the old hammer in the hammer spring until I had my new Tapco G2 trigger kit at the work bench so I could remember how the hammer sat in the spring. Took the old one out and installed the new one in exactly the same way.

You'll need something to hold the hammer and trigger pins in with. The old retaining wire can be modified to work, Dinzag offer e-clips which are a pain to install, hitch pins are fine, but the retaining plate is best. (By the way, Dinzag offer hitch pins and retaining plates as well as the e-clips). I temporarily held my pins in place with something called hair pin clips but I don't trust them. They look to thin/weak and there is too little tension. By the way, every Saiga I've ever seen has a bolt-hold-open on it. If yours doesn't, I'd think someone removed it at some time. If it's in there, you might as well toss all that junk too unless you really want that option on your gun.

Edited by Kymasabe
Once you tear out all the old trigger parts, there are a couple you should keep. First is the big hammer spring and the other is the tiny disconnector spring. All the other junk can get tossed. When I took my Saiga apart for the conversion, I kept the old hammer in the hammer spring until I had my new Tapco G2 trigger kit at the work bench so I could remember how the hammer sat in the spring. Took the old one out and installed the new one in exactly the same way.

You'll need something to hold the hammer and trigger pins in with. The old retaining wire can be modified to work, Dinzag offer e-clips which are a pain to install, hitch pins are fine, but the retaining plate is best. (By the way, Dinzag offer hitch pins and retaining plates as well as the e-clips). I temporarily held my pins in place with something called hair pin clips but I don't trust them. They look to thin/weak and there is too little tension. By the way, every Saiga I've ever seen has a bolt-hold-open on it. If yours doesn't, I'd think someone removed it at some time. If it's in there, you might as well toss all that junk too unless you really want that option on your gun.

yea idk, it doesnt look like there is even a spot for it

Some of the old saigas do not have a bolt hold open. I just got done converting an old pre 94' ban Saiga for a buddy of mine, it did not have a BHO.

Yup.

My Saiga is one of the old ones and doesn't have the BHO lever or accompanying hole. The handguard is also not held on by a screw, the part that goes into the receiver has a pointed tip with a spring sticking out of it to keep pressure on it. It's held in place by the forward pressure from the spring which mechanically locks it in place once you insert the gas tube (you have to pull back on the handguard to remove the gas tube). Strangely enough the receiver does have the hole for the screw that holds the newer handguards in place, but the handguard has no corresponding hole. My Saiga will also accept standard AK mags without modification but it won't feed from them. They lock in perfectly just like regular Saiga mags. Once I finish my conversion I just have to install the bullet guide since I won't have to mess with filing down the mag catch.

I just got done converting an old pre 94' ban Saiga for a buddy of mine

I was under the impression there were no pre-94 Saigas. :unsure:

When I first found out about Saigas, I asked about pre-94 Saigas, because there is still an AWB in NY, and with a pre-94, I could have all the "evil" features here.

Here is the conversion I just completed. http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/saiga/saiga-1.htm

Thats a pretty good description for the conversion. Thanks. I plan on converting my 7.62x39 here soon. It should be very similar to the .223, shouldn't it?

Thats a pretty good description for the conversion. Thanks. I plan on converting my 7.62x39 here soon. It should be very similar to the .223, shouldn't it?

the only difference i can find between my 223 and 762 weapons is that the 762 has a small barrel "dimple" where the AK lower hand gaurd retainer goes.. everything else looks pretty much identical...

Some of the old saigas do not have a bolt hold open. I just got done converting an old pre 94' ban Saiga for a buddy of mine, it did not have a BHO.

Yup.

My Saiga is one of the old ones and doesn't have the BHO lever or accompanying hole. The handguard is also not held on by a screw, the part that goes into the receiver has a pointed tip with a spring sticking out of it to keep pressure on it. It's held in place by the forward pressure from the spring which mechanically locks it in place once you insert the gas tube (you have to pull back on the handguard to remove the gas tube). Strangely enough the receiver does have the hole for the screw that holds the newer handguards in place, but the handguard has no corresponding hole. My Saiga will also accept standard AK mags without modification but it won't feed from them. They lock in perfectly just like regular Saiga mags. Once I finish my conversion I just have to install the bullet guide since I won't have to mess with filing down the mag catch.

yep mine is the exact same