.308 or 7.62 nato for the Saiga 21"

Getting confused on the articles written up on the actual differences between .308 winchester vs. 7.62(nato). Just ordered my .308 saiga and will have it by the weekend. I am wanting to buy some rounds to bang through it. Which is the better round to chamber in the Saiga: .308 Or 7.62? Let me elaborate - What is stamped on the reciever of the rifle and what will be the best to preserve the life of the rifle?

Hypothetically!!!!

If i were to shoot 50,000 rounds of .308 through one new rifle and 50,000 rounds of 7.62(nato) through another rifle, which rifle would have more wear and tear?And lets just say we are using the same good quality or brand ammo in each rifle.

Thanks in advance! :D

The Saiga is NOT one of the FEW rifles that will only shoot 7.62 Nato or .308. It does NOT give a damn. Mine shoots more accuratly with GOOD ammo of either flavor, but goes Bang every time with ammo that WILL go bang.

Some military rifles shouldn't use .308, and overly tight chambered .308 target/sport rifles shouldn't shoot 7.62 milsurp of questionable parentage. NONE of that applies here, or to the vast majority of rifles most people will run into.

The receiver on both of my 308-1 Saiga's are marked .308 Winchester and 7.62x51. I shoot both types of ammunition with no problems. People far more knowledgable than I on the matter state the NATO 7.62x51 is loaded to a milder level than the commercial .308 Winchester. The numbers 50,000psi for the 7.62x51 as opposed to 62,000psi for the .308 seem to get tossed around a lot. If this is indeed true then it would seem to indicate the 7.62x51 would be a little easier on the rifle than the .308 winchester. As for the estimated service life of a Saiga 308...well...I have no idea. Does anyone know of any empirical data relating to the durability of a Saiga 308-1 and rounds fired?

It would be interesting to know how many rounds can be fired in the life-time of the 308-1, but its not really a concern to me. I do plan to feed my Saiga both varieties. I just want to give my best effort to understand and take care of the rifle, the knowlege to know if one cartriage profile wears better than the other.

I am just fishing along the lines that are similar to the old adage "Every cigarette will take will take seven minutes off your life". So, from what im gathering so far there are no health concerns with either .308 winchester or 7.62 nato, and just "Smoke'em if ya got em", right?

If thats the case with the Saiga, I'm sure glad i bought one! For some reason every artical written by an author/enthusiast on the comparison (.308 VS 7.62) they aways say "either cartrige will work, but, you should really only use what the rifle is chambered for". I guess everyone has to cover their ass now-a-days!!!

Your S-308 has been proof tested for BOTH 7.62x51 NATO AND .308 Win and will give you a long service life with both rounds (.308 being the higher-pressure round). I am sure that at least 1 or 2 people here have put well over 10,000 rounds out of the S-308 with no loss in function and probably minimal degredation in accuracy. That chrome bore, thick-ass barrel and overly-hardened front trunnion go a looooooong way in extending the service life. Probably as good as a G3, or dare I say... an M1A (M-14)

Shoot what ever your 'lil heart desires, but stay away from the Hornady "Light-Magnum" stuff... It has the potential to do scary stuff to your action and gas system...

Macbeau sends...

I been shooting only south african 308 FMJ ball ammo in my saiga so far. But the receiver, bolt carrier/bolt, recoil spring and the gas tube/piston are lubed with moly so the receiver inners should last as long as the chrome lined barrel will. I'm not seeing any wear at all yet anywhere nor do i expect to when using moly.

My 308 saiga's are much better than my G3 is already plus the M14 will have a headspace problem before my saiga's will. If you shoot the M14 and the saiga on an even basis.

Edited by Unknown Poster