Poly Choke vs. Choke Kit

Hi all,

My first Saiga 12 is in the mail along with a handful of extra 5 round mags (NJ sucks). I'm debating whether I should order the poly choke or the factory 3-choke kit... this gun will be used primarily for skeet/trap shooting, but one day I might like to start hunting deer. I did some searching and everyone here seems happy with the poly chokes but I have a friend who said he preferred the regular chokes on his shotguns. As best I can tell the poly choke is $10 more, not a big deal, and has many more adjustments, which doesn't seem all that useful given what I will be using it for. Any other benefits/drawbacks to one or the other?

Thanks!

Jeff

Thanks for the replies. I went with the 19" because it was cheap, readily available, and seemed reasonably accurate from what I read. The $10 is really negligible. I won't be changing things often so the flexibility is nice to have, but not really necessary. I was more wondering if there are any drawbacks to the poly choke.

I had a major problem with the polchoke on a Saiga 12 with 19"barrel and factory threads at end of barrel-

Putting polychoke on caused POI to shift about 6" to right at 25 yds.

I had a thread on it about a month or two back- Tromix answered that this problem was well known, explained why this happened and offered a solution- way above my machine work ability.

Runs something like this- some? many? Saiga barrels are not concentric. So, when screwed on, the polychoke is slightly canted one way or the other. This throws pattern off. In my case, it shifted pattern 6" to right at 25 yd.

I cant visually see the barrel being not concentric- maybe my less then perfect eyes. So dont know if there is a simple way to ck barrel before buying polychoke and testing it.

Unsure if same theory holds for factory chokes.

Also seems that posters on forum love the polychoke for its versatility- apparently they didnt have this problem with their guns.

Good luck.

I had a polychoke, I left the thing on one setting all the time XFULL. I only shoot buckshot so no reason to change settings. I don't see the point to it anymore.

The polychoke adds arround 2in to the end of your gun. I don't think it'd be safe to breach a door with a polychoke on. We always use a standard barrel pressed right aganst the door pointed down at a 45degree angle, no gay door breaching muzzle attachment.

I would go with internal screw in chokes if you really want one.

Edited by mike123456

My expirience with my Poly-Choke Has been quite good. In fact befor finishing my conversion i let a friend borrow my S-12 for a small game tournament so he could see what i was raving about. Initial reactions from fellow competitors were off as we can expect a few fudds there... But i'm sure they ate those words when he took 2nd place. No problems with accuracy or reliability at all here, and my friend is saving money to get a Saiga-12 now too... The bug has been bit.

I just took my S-12 with the 19" no choke barrel to my gunsmith to see if Rem-chokes could be installed. The barrel is seriously overbored and there would be not much for the choke tubes to hang on too, thus unsafe. Polychoke might be an answer but the dimensions also may make that non-do-able. Make sure you check that before tearing into putting something on. I have a Polychoke on the other one and I love it.

Lesson I learned: If you buy a threaded poly and put on your 19" your looking at a 22" barrel. It sure looked long on the Saiga project I'm building.

Then I called Poly-choke and they said they would let me trade since it was new . The overall length with poly will be 18.5". 65 dollars not including shipping.

Normal fee that includes new poly is about 150

When I get it back I'll pattern it and compare. Maybe I'll get some back ordered mags by then.

oh boy

Edited by Shoot
  • 3 weeks later...
Lesson I learned: If you buy a threaded poly and put on your 19" your looking at a 22" barrel. It sure looked long on the Saiga project I'm building.

Then I called Poly-choke and they said they would let me trade since it was new . The overall length with poly will be 18.5". 65 dollars not including shipping.

Normal fee that includes new poly is about 150

When I get it back I'll pattern it and compare. Maybe I'll get some back ordered mags by then.

oh boy

\

I'm not sure I follow: stock barrel 19" + poly choke = 22" Got that part. You traded the poly choke in for what and now the overall lenght with the poly choke is 18.5"? Did you change barrels?

Also, what is the miniuml legal lenght for a barrel?