factory mags not fitting into saiga 12

I have a new saiga 12. Most of my factory 5 rounders and 8 rounders do not want to lock in. I prefer not to touch the mags. The only other thing I can do is remove a little off the top of the mag release...a very small amount....I don't see any other obstructions. Has anyone else had to do this? thanks

My friend had the same problem and he fixed it by filing the catch until it locked magazines tight. Maybe you got Ivan's Monday morning or Friday afternoon work.

Thanks. you're not kidding about Ivan...My saiga has the 2 holed gas port...thankfully they are unobstructed. I will hit the range tomorrow for first time. thanks

Many people on here, some of who know far more about the Saiga (in particular) then I state not to grind the mag catch.

But when no factory or aftermarket mags lock in it is a pretty safe bet that it is too long. On my particular S12 even the included 5 round mag would not lock in!

In these cases I recommend cutting the length of the catch. But that is just my opinion. I can tell you that it worked great for me and made a lot more sense then modifying every single magazine that I wanted to use/try in my shotgun. For what it is worth, Clyde, the importer, also agreed with my assessment.

It would be interesting to see what range of lengths that these catches come in, specially when they work correctly.

Many people on here, some of who know far more about the Saiga (in particular) then I state not to grind the mag catch.

But when no factory or aftermarket mags lock in it is a pretty safe bet that it is too long. On my particular S12 even the included 5 round mag would not lock in!

In these cases I recommend cutting the length of the catch. But that is just my opinion. I can tell you that it worked great for me and made a lot more sense then modifying every single magazine that I wanted to use/try in my shotgun. For what it is worth, Clyde, the importer, also agreed with my assessment.

It would be interesting to see what range of lengths that these catches come in, specially when they work correctly.

I agree...thanks

My second S-12's magazine did not fit it. The magazine fit in the 1st Saiga perfectly however. I was lucky that I had another mag to compare it with and made the decision to file a bit of the magazine over modifying the shotgun. It depends is my suggestion. In your case I'd say check your mags with another gun if you know of one, possibly even the gun shop. If they don't fit those either, file the mags. If they fit fine, file your gun.

Yay for functional alcoholic manufacturing.

I had the same problem with mine. I called RAA and spoke with larry woods. he told me if I didnt want to fix it myself to send it back to them on there dime and they would. I did just that and about 1 month later I got it back with an extra 5 rd magazine no charge. all my mags now fit, some a bit tight but they need to be broken in. i've yet to shoot it since but i'm sure it's good to go. Great customer service

Edited by Nysaigaowner

I have 2 saiga 12's, 2 5rds and 4 AGP's and 2 MD 20's. The 5rds and the AGP's would fit in one gun and not the other, A couple of strokes evenly across the top of the mag catch and they fit both guns. When I got the MD 20's they locked into both guns tightly without any work. I would say, file the catch. You can always add metal with a little welding but adding plastic is next to impossible when its some composite stuff.

just give it a couple of strikes and try a mag, then repeat. Go slow and keep checking. remeber to keep the file flat.

good luck and HAPPY NEW YEAR